Water storage

Scolymia88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With winter coming up and it being harder to control the water temperature going into the r.o filters I wanted to start making more r.o. ahead so its ready when needed. This means stagnant sealed water(50-100gal) in brute cans. I will sterilize cans first, but would additional sterilization be needed for storing. Say carefully measured h202 or bleach and then using a product like prime when I wish to mix for use in aquarium. Or would it just be best to let it be and not worry about it. Ambient temps where water will be stored is around 70-72°f. Im asking because I've left water in buckets before and got a funny smell when opening lid weeks later and didn't knowing thats normal or bad.
Thanks!!

OP
OP
Scolymia88

Scolymia88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good...I did forget to mention this is well water not sure if that makes any difference. But will just store it. Thanks for fast reply!

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to be aware of is that brute garbage cans can leach phosphate into the water if it stays in there too long. Not sure if they have changed their plastics but water is best stored in food grade plastic

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gray rubbermaid trash cans are food grade. I wouldn't worry about storing indefinitely.

Meets NSF 2, 21 approval and is USDA meat and poultry group listed, ensuring regulatory compliance for food storage and clean ability

OP
OP
Scolymia88

Scolymia88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After Googling it and seeing the back and forth im just going to store nothing added and check phosphate prior to use.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After Googling it and seeing the back and forth im just going to store nothing added and check phosphate prior to use.
Let me relate.
I have city water though, but I pump water into my brute food grade trash cans for easily over a month without a single problem. I don’t bleach or do anything first. To much could go wrong with that.
when I need to mix my water, I have a second can that I can pump into and then heat.

when using my ATO I simply fill it up, it’s cold cold too. But the ATO isn’t pumping that much out and very slow too.
There’s zero issues too with this.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to be aware of is that brute garbage cans can leach phosphate into the water if it stays in there too long. Not sure if they have changed their plastics but water is best stored in food grade plastic
Don’t think this is true. Loads of people on this forum use Brutes with no issues. It’s NSF food grade plastics.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think this is true. Loads of people on this forum use Brutes with no issues. It’s NSF food grade plastics.
I just remember seeing a lot of people, including myself, with high phosphates and it stemmed from storing water in buckets/garbage cans. The plastics could have changed since then. It’s been a few years for me.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remember seeing a lot of people, including myself, with high phosphates and it stemmed from storing water in buckets/garbage cans. The plastics could have changed since then. It’s been a few years for me.
It has. My water sits in Brute trash cans for over a month with zero leeching.

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DONT bleach the dang cans dude. Dont listen to that crap. Dont ever put chems on something which comes in contact with your tank. And dont wash hands with soap before sticking you hands in the tank to screw with some crap.UGG. I hate hearing about peroxide, bleach, bla bla. This crap doesn't belong in a tank, and yes, you wont clean it 100%. Rinse the cans for 5 mins with a hose and wipe. Your done. Keep Ro water seperate from the salt mix and the powerhead salt mixer.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DONT bleach the dang cans dude. Dont listen to that crap. Dont ever put chems on something which comes in contact with your tank. And dont wash hands with soap before sticking you hands in the tank to screw with some crap.UGG. I hate hearing about peroxide, bleach, bla bla. This crap doesn't belong in a tank, and yes, you wont clean it 100%. Rinse the cans for 5 mins with a hose and wipe. Your done. Keep Ro water seperate from the salt mix and the powerhead salt mixer.
Couldn’t have said it better ;)

Back