water temp during cycling

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is one of the factors of bacterial growth, so logically, i think it’s important to have your biological population be the same as it is when you are off and running with fish and coral. The hobby seems to have a consensus of 78F. Id set it where you want it, and keep it there.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally doubt it's a significant impact as long as it's normal room temp - high 60's to high 70's. Might be interesting to see some data on cycle times with varying temperature....but then again, I think too many people over think and over manage cycling now. No one needs "cycling temperature shaming" to become a thing. :)

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is water temp important during cycling
Well, it is important to keep temperatures within a range where they will grow (not too slowly).

But it is not too important to set the temperature to an optimal for growth. Like yes there will be a point where there is optimal growth for the nitrifiers, but then that also varies from species to species so... yeah.

Important, but also not too important? XD

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is water temp important during cycling
Imo, yes and no. It's not critical at this point to maintain a certain temp other than acceptable for BAC viability, this is on the other hand the perfect time to be breaking in and setting up your gear. Some heaters require some adjusting to get to the temp you want to hold. This is the time to be screwing around with it.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally doubt it's a significant impact as long as it's normal room temp - high 60's to high 70's. Might be interesting to see some data on cycle times with varying temperature....but then again, I think too many people over think and over manage cycling now. No one needs "cycling temperature shaming" to become a thing. :)

I gave up cycling a long time ago. If you have an established system, grab a rock plus or minus a scoop of sand depending on your flavor, and go. If you dont already have a system, get one good piece of live rock and go. Just dont go crazy on fish. One or two is a good start.

I dont understand what shaming has to do with anything. If a temperature upsets someones feelings , i think there more serious underlying issues. You’re going to manage temperature in the tank. I dont see the harm in setting it from the moment you add water.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, yes and no. It's not critical at this point to maintain a certain temp other than acceptable for BAC viability, this is on the other hand the perfect time to be breaking in and setting up your gear. Some heaters require some adjusting to get to the temp you want to hold. This is the time to be screwing around with it.

Exactly. You don't want it hitting 85 once you have fish in it.

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have not found it to be an issue but if you have the ability to keep the tank at the temp you will be running it I would do that. Now I wouldn't let it get super cold or super hot though.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have not found it to be an issue but if you have the ability to keep the tank at the temp you will be running it I would do that. Now I wouldn't let it get super cold or super hot though.

And if you question qualifications of everyone else who answered the question, id feel extremely confident in this one. Doesn't matter if its Than himself who answered or not.

If you have purchased corals from Tidal Gardens, you know they know what they are doing. If you haven't, id recommend it highly. You get bulletproof corals without the price gouge of many other coral propagators/sellers. I have several 7-10+ inch colonies that started with frags from them. Which is something i cant say for corals ive purchased from other sellers, even in my home state of Florida.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.8%
Back