Water Testing & Quality

Steven Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am new and I am sure this question has been asked many times. Today I tested my water and everything looks good. Ammonia and Nitrite are at 0, Ph 8.2 and Alkalinity is at 10 dKh. My salinity is at 1.024. The problem is the nitrates. I measured a 20 ppm so I changed 30 gallons of water in a 125 gallon tank with a 35 gallon (effective 25 gallon to the fill line) sump. I have been overfeeding and I have corrected this issue but the damage is done. Should I continue to change water? If so, how much and when? Can I change water two days is a row? As you can see a little advice would be welcome. By the way I have soft corals and the usual fish, tangs, chormis, cardinals and a few gobies. Thanks

Steve

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can change water whenever you want. However, you don't want to change too much as to upset the biological filter. I wouldn't recommend changing over 30 gallons at a time. 20 ppm NO3 isn't that bad considering that you have a new setup. It will go down naturally with bacteria and macroalgae (if you have a refugium) over time.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
S

Steven Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can change water whenever you want. However, you don't want to change too much as to upset the biological filter. I wouldn't recommend changing over 30 gallons at a time. 20 ppm NO3 isn't that bad considering that you have a new setup. It will go down naturally with bacteria and macroalgae (if you have a refugium) over time.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, it does help.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back