Water Transfer from Outside 55 gallon Drum

Dariel92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help struggling with this lol. I set up a semi automatic water change system. I have a 55 gallon drum about 30 ft outside house with saltwater. I drilled and I'm using a 1/4 RO tubing through the baseboard of the house to reef tank. Emptied about 7 gallons and tried refilling with outside water and pump took about close to 2 hours to get transfer 7 gallons. Currently using a Jebao pump with a quick connect adapter to 1/4.

My question more than anything I'm I using wrong pump outside with not enough power for the 30 feet of travel with 1/4 RO tubing. If so do you have any recommendations what I can use instead or should I go with a bigger tubing which is not ideal took enough to convince the wife to let me run a 30 feet of RO tubing on the baseboard of the house.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a master flex pump would solve this easily. A litermeter would work better too. but the masterflexs with the right head choice on it will Speed things up considerably.

OP
OP
D

Dariel92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got any ideas how I can do this on a budget. Not trying to spend that much money. Just looking for something that will get the job done relatively quicker. But thanks for the recomendation.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got any ideas how I can do this on a budget. Not trying to spend that much money. Just looking for something that will get the job done relatively quicker. But thanks for the recomendation.
I suppose that depends on what the budget is! :) @YOYOYOReefer suggested a decent pump for the job.

I am moving my water about 15 feet mostly horizontally using a Neptune PMUP. It does depend on you having a Neptune Apex system.

Any good continuous duty dosing pump would do just fine as well; won't be fast though...

OP
OP
D

Dariel92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My basic idea is to empty about maybe 10 gallons manually and then refill the 10 gallons via the 1/4 inch RO tubing. I just did not expect it would take so long to refill those 10 gallons. There is no rise needed since its just going across the living room. I'll look at some continuous duty dosing pumps. Thanks for the help.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get bigger tubing would absolutely be the cheapest way. or get a better pump.

as far as quick, that Neptune is a garbage toy compared to any master flex pump even 20 year old masterflexes are better.

fyi at 3 liters per minute my biggest master flex can dose 1100 gallons in 24 hours , but a different head on the same pump will only do around 100 gallons in 24 hrs.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye, either you need a larger hose diameter- or you need a pump that deals better with the back pressure. To push large amounts of water through 1/4" tubing requires a fair bit of kit!

My Neptune PMUP is slow, but I do not require the speed- I am performing continuous water change 24-7 so no issues.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want to be budget minded, maybe you could build a platform and raise the drum up. This will create more pressure and better flow.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to be budget minded, maybe you could build a platform and raise the drum up. This will create more pressure and better flow.
Better make sure you can build a tower in the neighborhood. It takes 33 feet to merely double the pressure

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better make sure you can build a tower in the neighborhood. It takes 33 feet to merely double the pressure
Couple of good water towers around the Miami area, connect straight to one of these and job done :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
D

Dariel92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess were might just have to go with a 3/8 tubing and a bit better pump will get me under an hour lol.
Water towers not allowed in my condo building as of yet. Have to put in that recommendation.

OP
OP
D

Dariel92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys got any pumps that could work under $100. Even if there not the greatest. I'm just lost were to start looking.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is what I use to move water, probably 50 ft. Takes the water out and replaces at the same time.
used one on here for quite a bit cheaper. Not under your budget, but if you can make it work, it is well worth the investment.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a garden hose on a reel and can change 100 gallons in about 15 min on my tank. The feed pump is a cheap iwaki knock off.. I’ve also used a mag 7 and it pushes the water 75ft no problem.
IMG_1669.jpeg
IMG_1665.jpeg

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see several on eBay for under 200 that would work fine. There is one at 100 bucks that auction ends in 3 hours. . Buy used master flex.

OP
OP
D

Dariel92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I'm running a way smaller set up ha-ha. I could always just run a bigger hose through the house and have it done in 5 mins. But it kind of beats the idea of small and discreet. And just having to plug in the pump and have it refill be itself. Trying to make it as easy as possible while spending the least amount of money lol. Yes I know those two things are not always ideal discreet and on a budget lol.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I'm running a way smaller set up ha-ha. I could always just run a bigger hose through the house and have it done in 5 mins. But it kind of beats the idea of small and discreet. And just having to plug in the pump and have it refill be itself. Trying to make it as easy as possible while spending the least amount of money lol. Yes I know those two things are not always ideal discreet and on a budget lol.

I just logged on to make this very suggestion; a larger diameter hose coming from the 55 gallon container.

Not something I'd want to do, but can you move the container closer the tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back