Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Here's a glimpse into my build so far! Will be updating more as time goes on. The tank has been up, scaped and cycled via fishless for a few weeks now. Will be ordering the clowns I want soon. I will get some pics for everyone soon. I'm pretty stoaked about my scape for this tank. My previous reef tanks scape is not the greatest and has always bothered me. Hope you guys like this scape.

20210123_112604.jpg

This is in the corner of my finished basement, dont worry we dont use the fireplace since it's not vented. I tore apart the fireplace structure and reinforced the frame with 2×4s and painted it white to match the shiplap. Also spray painted the fireplace black, used to be gold.

20210123_112616.jpg

20210123_112626.jpg

Waterbox 10 cube AIO:
Colbalt neotherm 75w (tried the 50w and it wasn't strong enough to keep up with my chilly basement)
Upgraded to the Sicce .5 silent return pump
AI Prime HD 16
Nero 3
Intank chamber 1 media basket
Will be building a custom chamber two basket
Chateomax refugium light
Tunze ATO
Real reef rock shipped dry
Kasa smart power strip (6 outlet version with energy monitoring)

Filtration:
Intank filter floss
Chemipure blue
Chateo in chamber 2
Marine pure gems

Stocking plans:
Two designer clowns
Tiny CUC
Maybe a shrimp such as a cleaner or peppermint

Mostly sticking to soft corals and a few select LPS. Euphyuilla, trumpets, etc. Hardy LPS. Plan is to do a zoa garden on the small rock in the front along with the bottom portion of the one on the right. Would love to do a torch and or frog spawn on the upper portion of the rock on the right.

I have some green leather and devils hand to put in.. not sure exactly where yet.

Not sure what i want to do with the tower rock on the left. Was thinking some GSP on the very top (thoughts?) Not sure what else for the sides

I have no dosing plans or skimmer plans at this time.. mainly relying on good nutrient export, chateo, minimize feeding and consistent weekly water changes to maintain alk calk mag etc.

Would love some input on every thing! This is my 2nd reef tank in 4-5 years. I'm no expert and would appreciate any advice!

What kind of softies/LPS would you put in a 10g? 20210123_112604.jpg

Last edited:

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be watching!

I was always a fan of pulsing xenia or try growing GSP on the back wall?

just keep in mind that those two clowns will eventually need to be put into a larger aquarium

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Here's a glimpse into my build so far! Will be updating more as time goes on. The tank has been up, scaped and cycled via fishless for a few weeks now. Will be ordering the clowns I want soon. I will get some pics for everyone soon. I'm pretty stoaked about my scape for this tank. My previous reef tanks scape is not the greatest and has always bothered me. Hope you guys like this scape.

20210123_112604.jpg

This is in the corner of my finished basement, dont worry we dont use the fireplace since it's not vented. I tore apart the fireplace structure and reinforced the frame with 2×4s and painted it white to match the shiplap. Also spray painted the fireplace black, used to be gold.

20210123_112616.jpg

20210123_112626.jpg

Waterbox 10 cube AIO:
Colbalt neotherm 75w (tried the 50w and it wasn't strong enough to keep up with my chilly basement)
Upgraded to the Sicce .5 silent return pump
AI Prime HD 16
Nero 3
Intank chamber 1 media basket
Will be building a custom chamber two basket
Chateomax refugium light
Tunze ATO
Real reef rock shipped dry
Kasa smart power strip (6 outlet version with energy monitoring)

Filtration:
Intank filter floss
Chemipure blue
Chateo in chamber 2
Marine pure gems

Stocking plans:
Two designer clowns
Tiny CUC
Maybe a shrimp such as a cleaner or peppermint

Mostly sticking to soft corals and a few select LPS. Euphyuilla, trumpets, etc. Hardy LPS. Plan is to do a zoa garden on the small rock in the front along with the bottom portion of the one on the right. Would love to do a torch and or frog spawn on the upper portion of the rock on the right.

I have some green leather and devils hand to put in.. not sure exactly where yet.

Not sure what i want to do with the tower rock on the left. Was thinking some GSP on the very top (thoughts?) Not sure what else for the sides

I have no dosing plans or skimmer plans at this time.. mainly relying on good nutrient export, chateo, minimize feeding and consistent weekly water changes to maintain alk calk mag etc.

Would love some input on every thing! This is my 2nd reef tank in 4-5 years. I'm no expert and would appreciate any advice!

What kind of softies/LPS would you put in a 10g? 20210123_112604.jpg
This is so funny. This sounds EXACTLY like the current build I'm working on. The only difference is that I have a tailspot blenny and a clown, instead of two clowns. I'm new to the hobby, so I have no idea if it's going to work! I love small tanks. Good luck.

OP
OP
Brewski262

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so funny. This sounds EXACTLY like the current build I'm working on. The only difference is that I have a tailspot blenny and a clown, instead of two clowns. I'm new to the hobby, so I have no idea if it's going to work! I love small tanks. Good luck.
Nice! You should start a build thread! Or share some pics here!

OP
OP
Brewski262

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check these little dudes out

Cycle went flawlessly with a table shrimp and fritz 900. Tested regularly. Everything looks great at this point. I've kept my lighting to a minimum. Hoping I wont have to much of an ugly phase due to using "real reef rock" unlike my other tank.. it was horrible.

Going to wait a few weeks before I transfer a few soft corals from my other tank.

20210131_191411.jpg

20210131_191404(0).jpg

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Nuvo 10. You should try to get your feet wet with some SPS! Your AI can grow ANYTHING in that tank. Don’t limit yourself to softies right off the bat. I STRONGLY recommend an ATO. It will help you enjoy that little tank enormously. It will keep your tank salinity stable, along with the rest of your parameters.

OP
OP
Brewski262

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Nuvo 10. You should try to get your feet wet with some SPS! Your AI can grow ANYTHING in that tank. Don’t limit yourself to softies right off the bat. I STRONGLY recommend an ATO. It will help you enjoy that little tank enormously. It will keep your tank salinity stable, along with the rest of your parameters.
I've been in the hobby for a few years and have never done SPS. I'm a little intimidated to tell you the truth lol. I have a tunze ato from my old tank already hooked up =)

Any recommendations for beginner SPS for a nano?

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for a few years and have never done SPS. I'm a little intimidated to tell you the truth lol. I have a tunze ato from my old tank already hooked up =)

Any recommendations for beginner SPS for a nano?
Get your feet wet with birds nest, montipora digitata (bubblegum or forest fire) or cap (the shelves), pavonas (cactus coral), bonsai garf (acro). There is a BRS video on YouTube where they specifically cover the AI Primes 16 over a nano like yours. Give it a watch. Believe it or not, the ATO is the most important piece of equipment for those nanos. It makes it dare I say, easy. If you’re doing consistent water changes it should do you for a while. If you start doing really good, ( and haven’t gone ahead and gotten a bigger tank), there’s a product from Tropic Marin called All for Reef that’s a single stage dosing supplement that will cover you. Don’t be intimidated, just be patient and don’t go crazy buying everything at once. Have fun!

OP
OP
Brewski262

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your feet wet with birds nest, montipora digitata (bubblegum or forest fire) or cap (the shelves), pavonas (cactus coral), bonsai garf (acro). There is a BRS video on YouTube where they specifically cover the AI Primes 16 over a nano like yours. Give it a watch. Believe it or not, the ATO is the most important piece of equipment for those nanos. It makes it dare I say, easy. If you’re doing consistent water changes it should do you for a while. If you start doing really good, ( and haven’t gone ahead and gotten a bigger tank), there’s a product from Tropic Marin called All for Reef that’s a single stage dosing supplement that will cover you. Don’t be intimidated, just be patient and don’t go crazy buying everything at once. Have fun!
Thanks for the info, I believe i have seen the BRS video your talking about. I'll double check, they have so many!

That was one thing I wanted to avoid with this build was having to dose and I think that's what really steered me away from sps, being very demanding corals. Even some LPS can be demanding I guess. I'll check out that all in one supplement, I think I've seen inappropriate reefer on YouTube use that or something similar.

Again, thanks for the advice!

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I believe i have seen the BRS video your talking about. I'll double check, they have so many!

That was one thing I wanted to avoid with this build was having to dose and I think that's what really steered me away from sps, being very demanding corals. Even some LPS can be demanding I guess. I'll check out that all in one supplement, I think I've seen inappropriate reefer on YouTube use that or something similar.

Again, thanks for the advice!
No problem!

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montiporas are pretty easy to grow. If you have coralline growth a montipora should do just fine. The difference between softies and SPS is really the amount of calcium and alk they take up so you need to add that for them to continue to grow.

OP
OP
Brewski262

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montiporas are pretty easy to grow. If you have coralline growth a montipora should do just fine. The difference between softies and SPS is really the amount of calcium and alk they take up so you need to add that for them to continue to grow.
Yeah, I've heard that about mongiporas, is there a specific one you would recommend?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti caps are super easy to grow but they get big. Mind trick is cool, it encrusts the rock, otherwise I like digiatas they branch up kinda like an acro does but are way easier.

OP
OP
Brewski262

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, not sure if anyone is still following this build or not but i promise to have some updates with pictures in the next few days. My wife and i had our first child back in June of 2021 so ive been quite busy around here learning to be a dad, money has also been a bit tight since we are down to a single income and just making everything work.

Anyhow, ill have a couple of pictures added this week and some updates on coral and plans going forward. i aim to be back on here much more, time allowing of course =) hope everyone is well.

Back