OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank! I think the aquascape came out great!

Thanks! Eh I'm not a fan of the scape to be honest, but I'm sure every tank owner feels that way. Honestly wish I had abit more shelf rock, later on I may get some more. Would make doing the scape easier

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about KPA- I haven't even received my tank yet... soooo... not to late to change my mind. Honestly I have not moved into the live rock phase of my research, but I know I am going to use it. Ohhh... KP is in the keys and me too. Save on shipping LOL
Thanks! Eh I'm not a fan of the scape to be honest, but I'm sure every tank owner feels that way. Honestly wish I had abit more shelf rock, later on I may get some more. Would make doing the scape easier
How many lbs of rock did you end up using? I am thinking around 50-60 lbs. I am with you on the tang want, understanding they will need to be re-homed in a couple of years, so want to make sure there is enough space for them.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many lbs of rock did you end up using? I am thinking around 50-60 lbs. I am with you on the tang want, understanding they will need to be re-homed in a couple of years, so want to make sure there is enough space for them.
I ordered 80lbs. Not sure how much I ended up using, I have like 5-6 small to mid size pieces still on the floor, now granted this was Caribsea Liferock, comes dry. Not KP rock which is wet which adds a ton of water weight

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5/17/2020 Test Results

Temp - 77 Degrees
Salinity- 1.024
PH - 7.8
Nitrate - 5
Nitrite - .2
Ammonia - 0.0

Decided to feed once per day after alot of people told me not to do every other day, especially with a new fish. So doing small feeding once per day, alternating between brine shrimp 1 day, the high quality pellets the next.

Rukk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your new build from a fellow WB 100.3 owner. I think you can get your flow sorted, just keep adjusting it until you are satisfied, or at least semi satisfied. I only run one MP 40, flow may not be perfect but that thing is fully capable of rocking the tank water for sure. I aim it at the side of the overflow box to make a more random type of flow in the tank, far from an exact science though.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your new build from a fellow WB 100.3 owner. I think you can get your flow sorted, just keep adjusting it until you are satisfied, or at least semi satisfied. I only run one MP 40, flow may not be perfect but that thing is fully capable of rocking the tank water for sure. I aim it at the side of the overflow box to make a more random type of flow in the tank, far from an exact science though.
Oh yea my MP40 comes in tomorrow, so I get a new toy to play with LOL.

Honestly I probably have entirely to much flow. That Vectra S2 Ecotech return pump, omg puts out some serious water flow alone. I wanted the gyre because I've always been interested in that technology rather than the vortec's.

But going to have both, just may have to turn them WAYYYY down lol.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5/17/2020 Test Results

Temp - 77 Degrees
Salinity- 1.024
PH - 7.8
Nitrate - 5
Nitrite - .2
Ammonia - 0.0

Decided to feed once per day after alot of people told me not to do every other day, especially with a new fish. So doing small feeding once per day, alternating between brine shrimp 1 day, the high quality pellets the next.
Fish feed all day in the ocean. I bet you eat 3 times a day lol.
As long as all the food is eaten your good.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish feed all day in the ocean. I bet you eat 3 times a day lol.
As long as all the food is eaten your good.
Yea I'm getting told its not enough on my other local forums. LARC. So looks like twice a day, obviously small amounts that he eats all of it or at least close to all of it. So yea, when I had my 180g back in the day, I had added like 4-5 fish at once, so situation was different. Just Steve being in there I wasn't sure and didn't want to overdo, looks like I went the other way LOL

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm getting told its not enough on my other local forums. LARC. So looks like twice a day, obviously small amounts that he eats all of it or at least close to all of it. So yea, when I had my 180g back in the day, I had added like 4-5 fish at once, so situation was different. Just Steve being in there I wasn't sure and didn't want to overdo, looks like I went the other way LOL
Its all good. Reef tanks are a lesson in learning every day of the year lol.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got something to protect Steve from himself! Came in everyday praying he didn't like to surf
IMG_0226.jpg

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on a side note, I no longer have lights! Can't say I personally can recommend those Red Sea Reef LED 90's. After about a week now of every 5 min getting a notification on my phone that the lights were disconnected, and them randomly turning themselves on even though I had them set to off. After all that I told my wife to return them before I threw the phone they like to blow up with notfications at those lights.

This is why you do research prior to a purchase. I mean I did, but I guess I didn't go deep enough, cause once I started researching this specifically. I found thread after thread after thread regarding connection issues. So now to try and figure out new lighting.

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on a side note, I no longer have lights! Can't say I personally can recommend those Red Sea Reef LED 90's. After about a week now of every 5 min getting a notification on my phone that the lights were disconnected, and them randomly turning themselves on even though I had them set to off. After all that I told my wife to return them before I threw the phone they like to blow up with notfications at those lights.

This is why you do research prior to a purchase. I mean I did, but I guess I didn't go deep enough, cause once I started researching this specifically. I found thread after thread after thread regarding connection issues. So now to try and figure out new lighting.
I chose the XR15 G5's due to all of the poll results I gathered from various places. It appears (most) reefers enjoy them. I really wanted to do the Reefi option but it was a significantly more and not many people recommended.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose the XR15 G5's due to all of the poll results I gathered from various places. It appears (most) reefers enjoy them. I really wanted to do the Reefi option but it was a significantly more and not many people recommended.
Yea I chose these because they were cheaper than like Kessils or Ecotech's. I'm also considering going ATI Sunpower T5, but what stopped me from that, was I truly don't want to hang another fixture. I did that back in the day over my 180g hanging a 6ft long Metal Halide fixture. Needless to say, I promised myself "never again" would I hang a fixture lol. That was such a pain in the you know what. So any light fixtures I get I want to mount to the tank.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got something to protect Steve from himself! Came in everyday praying he didn't like to surf
IMG_0226.jpg

We have the Jumpguard for our Waterbox 220.6. It's amazing. So glad we went with it over a custom lid. How do you like it?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We have the AI Hydra 32HD on ours. We love them and they look great!

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the Jumpguard for our Waterbox 220.6. It's amazing. So glad we went with it over a custom lid. How do you like it?

Well I just got it today. And as we just gave up the lights, I can't even cut it to size yet cause I don't know where and what size light mounts I'm going to need to cut to size for.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back