Waterbox 20 Cube Intank Chamber 1

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have recently purchased a Waterbox 20 Cube. It should be here in a few weeks. I am in the process of doing my HW and have a bazillion questions on all kinds of things, so I am trying to tackle those one by one. The plan for the tank is about 3 fish, corals, and inverts (still much to be decided but I know a small tank needs to be kept conservative in live stock). I also am planning on going barebottom. This will be a classroom tank and needs to be moved in the summer, a few I have spoken to recommended a barebottom being easier to move and that makes sense to me. I figure that may affect my question below.

It seems to be a no brainer to swap up the stock filter socks for Intanks Media Basket for Chamber 1. This a sort of three shelf upgrade that goes in the first chamber of the Waterbox.

My question is what should I run in each of the three shelves? After doing research my options seem to be some type of combination of the following and though I realize no tank is the same and there is no "perfect" combination I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

Top: Floss or Filter Pad (course then fine)

Middle Section: Chemi Pure Blue, Carbon, Clear Fx Pro, Zeo Stone, GFO, Purigen

Bottom: Another FLozz/ Filter Pad. A few people mentioned Chaeto here too

What do you think! Feel free to direct message me as well, these forums are great but they make having back and forth conversations a little tricky.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do (filter floss/chemipure/marine pure balls) in my left side basket, and (filter floss, marine pure balls, marine pure balls) on the right.

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that bottom spot is in any way adequate for a Chaeto refugium. Some people do that in chamber two, you will need a light source or it will just die down there. You would probably want to work up to that, as a good refugium can strip the water too clean and leave you open to other issues.

The popular choice seems to be Marine Pure bio-balls or bio blocks. Having just started one of these myself, I'm inclined to suggest leaving it an open slot to start. There's nothing wrong with keeping your options open as you advance. However, with a bare bottom tank I think seeding some bio media in the rear chambers at the onset would be a good idea.

Have to say too, I found myself liking the bare bottom look more than I thought as I was setting up. The tank is pretty slick looking. Sand was my plan though.

OP
OP
C

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that bottom spot is in any way adequate for a Chaeto refugium. Some people do that in chamber two, you will need a light source or it will just die down there. You would probably want to work up to that, as a good refugium can strip the water too clean and leave you open to other issues.

The popular choice seems to be Marine Pure bio-balls or bio blocks. Having just started one of these myself, I'm inclined to suggest leaving it an open slot to start. There's nothing wrong with keeping your options open as you advance. However, with a bare bottom tank I think seeding some bio media in the rear chambers at the onset would be a good idea.

Have to say too, I found myself liking the bare bottom look more than I thought as I was setting up. The tank is pretty slick looking. Sand was my plan though.
Thank you!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back