Waterbox 20 cube livestock overloaded?

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Just seeing if my bioload is okay or too much! I do weekly 10 percent water change.
I have smart ATO
Kept stock bio balls and sponge. Add chemi pure blue. Filter cup for filter floss.
I have a waterbox cube 20
Livestock currently
Fish
2 clownfish
1 royal gramma
1 banggai cardinal
Inverts
4 trochus snails
2 cerith snails
2 nassarius snails
I’m thinking of adding a tiger/strawberry conch. Is that overloading? Maybe a clown goby?
Thanks

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

IMHO you are very close in terms of the number of fish.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Just seeing if my bioload is okay or too much! I do weekly 10 percent water change.
I have smart ATO
Kept stock bio balls and sponge. Add chemi pure blue. Filter cup for filter floss.
I have a waterbox cube 20
Livestock currently
Fish
2 clownfish
1 royal gramma
1 banggai cardinal
Inverts
4 trochus snails
2 cerith snails
2 nassarius snails
I’m thinking of adding a tiger/strawberry conch. Is that overloading? Maybe a clown goby?
Thanks
I'd think you are about at the limit for fish. Remember its not all just about bioload and waste management. These fish you have are also territorial. There will not be enough room in terms of rock features and caves for another fish to be happy

Remember they get bigger

My 29g has 2 clowns, 1 gobie, and a black cap (a cousin of royal gamma). I've tried for years to add 1 more but the last fish have not last long - tried cardinal, another gobie, firefish, all didnt last long. Mean while the first 4 fish all grew and thrived. - clowns are 3 and 4 inches, black cap 4.5 inches, and gobie 3 inches. This tells me that 4 fish was the max for my tank, so id think what you current have is the max for long term success and then survival rate of that "fifth fish" is going to be low.

I have plenty of waste management too - fuge, skimmer, and very mature biome

If you want more variety in the I'd stick with inverts now, as they are less territorial and less bioload.

Conches need mature sand/tank, as do urchins, not sure yiur tank age to determine if it'll be fed enough.

How about a cleaner shrimp or some hermits?

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think you are about at the limit for fish. Remember its not all just about bioload and waste management. These fish you have are also territorial. There will not be enough room in terms of rock features and caves for another fish to be happy

Remember they get bigger

My 29g has 2 clowns, 1 gobie, and a black cap (a cousin of royal gamma). I've tried for years to add 1 more but the last fish have not last long - tried cardinal, another gobie, firefish, all didnt last long. Mean while the first 4 fish all grew and thrived. - clowns are 3 and 4 inches, black cap 4.5 inches, and gobie 3 inches. This tells me that 4 fish was the max for my tank, so id think what you current have is the max for long term success and then survival rate of that "fifth fish" is going to be low.

I have plenty of waste management too - fuge, skimmer, and very mature biome

If you want more variety in the I'd stick with inverts now, as they are less territorial and less bioload.

Conches need mature sand/tank, as do urchins, not sure yiur tank age to determine if it'll be fed enough.

How about a cleaner shrimp or some hermits?
Hello thanks for your response! I actually do have 2 blue legged hermits and 2 scarlet hermits. I did want a shrimp before but I kept reading that it can bother corals. What shrimp do you have?
I have my tank for about 5 months.
conch and a 5th fish was going to be my last thing I add. So I can do without the 5th fish as the gramma and goby might not get a long since I added the gramma already.
I see where you are coming from with bio load. Your tank is also 9 gallons bigger and you have a skimmer and fuge. So, hopefully my tank will be okay with just 4 fish.
thanks

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello thanks for your response! I actually do have 2 blue legged hermits and 2 scarlet hermits. I did want a shrimp before but I kept reading that it can bother corals. What shrimp do you have?
conch and a 5th fish was going to be my last thing I add. So I can do without the 5th fish as the gramma and goby might not get a long since I added the gramma already.
I see where you are coming from with bio load. Your tank is also 9 gallons bigger and you have a skimmer and fuge. So, hopefully my tank will be okay with just 4 fish.
thanks
I had a cleaner shrimp. Passed away recently but didn’t bother corals at all and was super cool to watch. Would climb onto my hand to feed

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks
Gobies should be generally compatible with royal gramma since that's a basset as well. Many of the royal gramma bullying gobies are from the below situations.

1) its a yellow watchman gobie, and the royal gramma is mistaken the yellow color as another royal gramma. RGs will alway fight a other RG

2) the gobie, which also likes caves on the bottom section of the tank, is invading a cave already claimed by the RG

As long as you avoid YWG and have plenty of caves above the sand, you should be OK

I have a tiger pistol shrimp that is paired with my orange spot gobie.

Cleaner shrimp can also work

if God forbid the cardinal doesn't make it (it is the least hardy of your 4 fishes and potentially I can see it will have the most conflict in terms of territories as they get big), you can certainly try the goby/pistol pair as the replacement. As long as you stay away from YWG you should be fine. Yasha, diamond, or orange spot can all pair with tiger pistols and should play nicely with RG, provided you have enough caves.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies should be generally compatible with royal gramma since that's a basset as well. Many of the royal gramma bullying gobies are from the below situations.

1) its a yellow watchman gobie, and the royal gramma is mistaken the yellow color as another royal gramma. RGs will alway fight a other RG

2) the gobie, which also likes caves on the bottom section of the tank, is invading a cave already claimed by the RG

As long as you avoid YWG and have plenty of caves above the sand, you should be OK

I have a tiger pistol shrimp that is paired with my orange spot gobie.

Cleaner shrimp can also work

if God forbid the cardinal doesn't make it (it is the least hardy of your 4 fishes and potentially I can see it will have the most conflict in terms of territories as they get big), you can certainly try the goby/pistol pair as the replacement. As long as you stay away from YWG you should be fine. Yasha, diamond, or orange spot can all pair with tiger pistols and should play nicely with RG, provided you have enough caves.
Thank you for your reply! I guess down the road I can do a goby/pistol pair. For now Ill keep what I have just so I won't over stress them with more fish!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back