Waterbox 220.6 build

Westiereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in the process of a new build my tank has been ordered but due to the cov19 has been delayed that’s ok give me some time to do my scape and get all the hardware.
this will be my first build I bought an established custom 3.6ft tank back in February so I’m pretty new to this

I am planning on a SPS dominant tank with a open scape and a bare bottom I may switch to a sand bead depending on how It looks

Cycle, Coral transfer and Fish plan

my idea is to cycle my marine pure block and also parts of scape that fit in to large containers before I get my tank to speed up the cycle then once cycled let the tank stabilise for a while then I will transfer my coral across and add more coral then run fallow for 90 days then TTM my current fish and also add more fish in to the tank from least aggressive to more aggressive I’m still working on a fish list

Equipment

tank - waterbox 220.6

return - vectra L2

skimmer - nyos Quantum 220

wave makers - 2 x reefwave 45s ,

clarisea sk5000 - I’m thinking I may need to modify this to take the higher flow

lights - I will be starting with 4 x radion xr30 pros

2 x 4 channel dosers

chiller

things I want to add down the line

1 or 2 extra radions when corals grow in

KH guardian

Apex

good refugium light

UV

I have started my scape it has been hard to source rock as everything is out of stock in Australia but I managed to get around 50kg of dry rock which is a mix of caribsea shelf and base I am also using some Marco shelf and also some other brand of base rock I have been using AF stone fix to start the scape

this Is one bommie version 1 it has changed since this but I am away for work so I’ll take a heap of pictures when I get home

stay tuned

D3EC5757-A024-4F06-AE9A-975CD061BB9D.png

OP
OP
Westiereefer

Westiereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm sitting here looking at it and got some advice from a mate and Facebook I might just have the 2 bommies

I still have about 20-30kg of rock so I could always change it down the line

20200628_204043.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westiereefer

Westiereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hopefully I will have the tank in 2 weeks
I have started cycling my marine pure block and also some lose carib sea shelf rock to help speed up the cycle when the tank is here.
I have the rocks a small pump and a heater in a 60L plastic tub in my garage. Im just using stability and a raw prawn for ammonia I will remove the prawn in a day or 2

20200701_090208.jpg 20200701_090011.jpg 20200701_085756.jpg

OP
OP
Westiereefer

Westiereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you feel like coming over an building me one??? Looks amazing!!!

Thanks mate im in Australia so it might be a bit hard lol
I enjoyed the scaping so much im starting to plan my next build so I can use the rest of my rocks im thinking a small Anemone tank but ill finish this one off first

Im a bit stuck i can't decide between Apex and trident ( trident not available yet in Australia) or go Apex and reefbot

OP
OP
Westiereefer

Westiereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got a Apex and a autofeeder hopefully my tank arrives next week I’ll be setting up the stand and making some modifications to it so I can mount all my equipment I’m aiming for a clean look also thinking about a UV as well I’d prefer to get everything now so I can hook it all up before the tank goes on and I fill it

it getting exciting now ;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting

EC1E793B-6629-425D-9D6B-E785A2385036.jpeg C8B0E702-6F6A-4A73-93D5-56D75B0BBA18.jpeg 20E178A4-3700-4A2E-A152-2ECEB1B89949.jpeg

OP
OP
Westiereefer

Westiereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my UV i went with a pentair 80w i will be mounting this horizontally on the back of the stand. Ill be aiming for 1000LPH flow so just over 1x turn over of tank per hour
I havnt decided if I will get a separate pump yet I have the vectra L2 i was thinking ill make a custom manifold for the waterbox and plum the UV return in to the tank return

If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated im hoping to get my stand tomorrow and im making arrangements to get the tank next week

20200716_193143.jpg 20200716_193152.jpg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got my UV i went with a pentair 80w i will be mounting this horizontally on the back of the stand. Ill be aiming for 1000LPH flow so just over 1x turn over of tank per hour
I havnt decided if I will get a separate pump yet I have the vectra L2 i was thinking ill make a custom manifold for the waterbox and plum the UV return in to the tank return

If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated im hoping to get my stand tomorrow and im making arrangements to get the tank next week

20200716_193143.jpg 20200716_193152.jpg

Great build so far! My LFS is helping with mine and they recommended a similar setup on the UV (Manifold off the main pump line)

OP
OP
Westiereefer

Westiereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build so far! My LFS is helping with mine and they recommended a similar setup on the UV (Manifold off the main pump line)
Thanks IKD im having fun so far with the build.
The only concern I have is plumbing the return from the uv and the return from the pump in to the tank return im worried it might create a loop and not flow correctly

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks IKD im having fun so far with the build.
The only concern I have is plumbing the return from the uv and the return from the pump in to the tank return im worried it might create a loop and not flow correctly
Not sure I followed the response. You would have the return pump feed the UV and the display tank, right? I believe for mine I will have the UV output go back to the first chamber or my refugium.

OP
OP
Westiereefer

Westiereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I followed the response. You would have the return pump feed the UV and the display tank, right? I believe for mine I will have the UV output go back to the first chamber or my refugium.
So im thinking about making a custom manifold that the return pump will feed. The UV will be fed from the manifold and then the UV retun will be plumbed to a T above the custom manifold going to the tank.

like the picture will this work ?

6E22A671-E0EF-44E4-882C-193CBED6683F.png

OP
OP
Westiereefer

Westiereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this picture, the return pump will put reverse flow pressure where your UV output is. It may be safer to just have the UV output go back to the sump
That’s what I was worried about I was hoping it would create a Venturi effect. In a perfect world I would send the return from the UV to the tank I might still do this and just have the line come up over the back of the tank in in to the display. I dont really want to drill a hole in the back of a new tank.

thanks for your input

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s what I was worried about I was hoping it would create a Venturi effect. In a perfect world I would send the return from the UV to the tank I might still do this and just have the line come up over the back of the tank in in to the display. I dont really want to drill a hole in the back of a new tank.

thanks for your input
Sounds good. Don’t forget to make it easily reachable and removable for maintenance because you‘ll need to change the bulbs on occasion. Maybe a valve to shutoff flow to it and unions on either side to it remove easily.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back