OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @GoonReef, I took some pictures of the plumbing for reference.

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

I hope this helps. The plumbing looks pretty straight forward.

Tom

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really, really like the removable weir. They seem to have changed that on the newer tanks, but it seems like a great idea for maintenance. I guess we'll see in a year!

Personally, I wouldn't let the plumbing deter me one way or the other. You can get adapters cheap from BRS or other places. Sump configuration, price, etc would be more of a driving force for me.

I'm pretty impressed so far. I'm not sure I like the ATO compartment - 5ish gallons won't get me a week in an air-conditioned house & I'd like that space for other things - but overall, impressed.

GoonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really, really like the removable weir. They seem to have changed that on the newer tanks, but it seems like a great idea for maintenance. I guess we'll see in a year!

Personally, I wouldn't let the plumbing deter me one way or the other. You can get adapters cheap from BRS or other places. Sump configuration, price, etc would be more of a driving force for me.

I'm pretty impressed so far. I'm not sure I like the ATO compartment - 5ish gallons won't get me a week in an air-conditioned house & I'd like that space for other things - but overall, impressed.

How much of the wise is removable? All the way to the glass bottom or just like the 2-4” on the top ?

GoonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tom Stevens did you have to glue the plumbing? Or was it already assembled?

Reason I’m asking is I’m getting a 75.2 overstock. No stand. And I’m using a trigger systems sump instead of the provider one. So I have to change the plumbing to 1”. But my stand is made of 8020 aluminum and 39” tall so I might be able to cut the pipe right at the strait down drop point to convert to 1”

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tom Stevens did you have to glue the plumbing? Or was it already assembled?

Reason I’m asking is I’m getting a 75.2 overstock. No stand. And I’m using a trigger systems sump instead of the provider one. So I have to change the plumbing to 1”. But my stand is made of 8020 aluminum and 39” tall so I might be able to cut the pipe right at the strait down drop point to convert to 1”

@GoonReef I did not have to have glue. Everything was twist on or compression. Very easy and straight forward.

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This thread may help. It's got some links to some adapters at BRS & discussion around it.

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of the wise is removable? All the way to the glass bottom or just like the 2-4” on the top ?

It's about the top 4". It's the piece with the slits that that water drains through, and where the return outlets plumb through. You can see the joint clearly in Tom's last picture above.

GoonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kgk thanks for the info ! i still think the IM tank is going to fit my needs better as its a bit thicker glass, on sale, and uses standard bulkheads. but your build is coming right along well!

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my rock today from Marcos Rocks. They are soaking in bleach at the moment. I like the look and can’t wait to set up aqua scape. I have to plumb the return pump too.

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

Made progress on setting up the sump too.

IMG_3046.JPG

Hopefully I will be adding water soon.

Tom

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Seeing your sump in the stand I can see why you picked up that IKEA cabinet. It looks great there BTW in the photos.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really coming to together well.

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank arrived today. I was a bit apprehensive since there are a couple of other threads that had quality problems (i.e scratches) with their waterboxes. When the delivery arrived there was a some damage to the packing crate and I was worried.
IMG_3019.JPG

To my surprise and a testament to the packaging, there was no damage. In fact there we zero scratches to my delight.
IMG_3017.JPG

The build of the stand went well in spite of the poor instructions.
IMG_3022.JPG

Here is the final product.
IMG_3023.JPG
IMG_3025.JPG
IMG_3026.JPG

There is more stuff arriving tomorrow so the build will continue.

I am having so much fun!

Tom
I haven't read much on the 2017 models having scratches, but for myself and other people who have received the new models, their process must have changed because our tanks arrived with damage and for what we paid, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a scratch free tank.

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the progress you have made in such a short amount of time! and I love the IKEA stand. I have been thinking about where am I going to keep all the cords and power strips.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the progress you have made in such a short amount of time! and I love the IKEA stand. I have been thinking about where am I going to keep all the cords and power strips.

Thank you @Tripptastic. I am lucky as IKEA is real close. The cabinet is actually for a bathroom. I added the legs. It hides the cords and keeps the controller away from the sump. Knowing me, I would have knocked the controller into the sump if it was close.

I am having a lot of fun. The Apex is the bomb. I am a gadget geek and the Apex plays right into my hands.

Your build seems to be going pretty well too. I see we got rocks around the same time. The Tampa Bay rocks you got look real nice. Mine are from Marco’s rocks and they are soaking in RO water after their bleaching.

I am hoping to get water into the tank this weekend. Still waiting on a couple of items to show up though.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is dedicated to the reef tank. I feel like such a kid playing with rocks!

I watched a couple of YouTube vids and went to work. I started by laying out the Marco rocks.

3991d941a1a3faa63d64da8ee4811280.jpg

I then started stacking. I was amazed how easy the rocks fit together. I am really liking the Marcos rocks. Here is my 1st attempt at a scape.

61ef6629a4c9223b55d463419483c51f.jpg

It will be interesting to see what I end up with.

I bought some gel glue to hold the more unstable pieces when I am ready.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, quick update. I have finished the plumbing (I hope) and I am getting close to starting the cycle. I added a second IKEA cabinet as I settled on a UV filter. The sump area is pretty tight. I will probably move things around in the sump once the water is in.

Going out of town on a short vacation so the cycle will have to wait until next week.

Here are some pics of my set up. Any helpful hints are welcome.

IMG_3069.JPG
IMG_3075.JPG
IMG_3072.JPG
IMG_3077.JPG

Tom

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just got back from a short vacation to New Mexico, so it was back to the tank. I set up the aqua-scape, put in water, started programming the Apex and began the cycle. It has been a long but productive day.

Two challenges so far. I had a small leak where the flex hose attached to the barb fitting. Tightening up the band was all that was needed. The other issue, I can’t for the life of me get the Apex salinity probe to calibrate. I looked all kinds of forums and watched BRS video to no success. Finally opened a ticket with Neptune. Considering all the other equipment that got fired up today, all in all not bad.

Here are some pics from today.

fe2f12f1e6348f9657e364e9a00263b4.jpg

b9068e26379fd83ad09389807b79611d.jpg

d0db6e02dd78f40c63e319b119df2e10.jpg

The fun continues tomorrow as I dial in the Apex.

Last edited:

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back