Manonfire0815

Novice Reefer Striving For Greatness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I know you all have a lot more knowledge setting up and maintaining a marine aquarium, so I am coming to you all for your expertise. I decided to go with the Waterbox cube 20/ ReefLED 50. I initially bought a Aquamaxx WS-1, but I couldn't figure out how to set it up in my AIO. Now I'm out of 200.00 because I went and bought a Fluval sea mini. I have the red sea marine care test kit which I haven't used and I am using the Red sea reef mature to get my tank cycling. I will test my water for the first time today. I am wondering am I off to a good start or am I missing something? I am also considering purchasing a reef wave 25 flow pump, but I don't know if I should wait for that or get it now, same with an ATO, I'm unsure if I should purchase all now or wait until I add life in the tank. I included a photo to let you all see what I am working with so far. If you were in my shoes on day 3 with the tank as pictured how would you move forward???

20200717_161925.jpg

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same tank. Great little tank good choice.

What do you have for flow? I would focus on getting a power head in there for more water movement. Also think about updating the return pump, I would suggest a sicce 1.0 or 1.5

also why couldn't you get the skimmer to work did it just not fit? I run an IM skimmer in the middle chamber. Fits great.

I would ditch the filter sock unless you have multiple to switch out everyday, otherwise your gonna find it getting clogged which is gonna screw with your dt water levels. You will think the tank needs more water because the return section is running dry but it is only because of the clogged filter sock.

Personally I use intank media basket.

As far as purchasing equipment do it now before livestock get everything tuned in and familiar with now.

If you run any amount of time without an a.t.o you will kick yourself when you get one for not getting it sooner.
And besides the benefit of the convienece of the a.t.o in these small tanks stablility is key, this will keep your salinity rock solid.

Good luck anymore questions ask away!

OP
OP
Manonfire0815

Manonfire0815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both,
The Aquamaxx ws-1 skimmer wouldn't fit with the bioballs and charcoal media that was included with the tank. When I started that skimmer up water went everywhere couldn't control the flow so after the minor flood I boxed it up. I was unsure if I could run it with just the skimmer and ditch the bioballs and chrcoal so I purchased the Fluval mini and it all fits in the middle sump. Bosreef, when I get rid of the filter sock what should I use that part of the sump for??? What is a good ato for beginners something easy to use and install? With the Ato I can just run tubing up to the sump right or would I have to drill?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had that tank for a little more than a year and never used a skimmer so I wouldn't worry about that. Just don't use too much Seachem Prime or NoPox - anything that depletes oxygen levels in the water.

I've always maintained mine with a really low stocking level (only 2 fish) and then 5 gallon water change every week or two. I have several SPS that have grown rapidly. I will say that you'll 100% want an ATO and probably a heater controller but that's all I've had on there.

Your tank looks great and you'll be just fine!

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the bioballs!
I run a media basket sold by intank.com
I run filter floss on top, then carbon, then chemiclean blue.

For a.t.o I personally use a jbj a.t.o with 2 float switchs and an aqualifter pump.
Has not failed me in the 7+ years I've used it. You will keep a container of fresh rodi underneath the stand you'll run a waterline up to the return section of the WB easy peasy (remember only FW evaporates not SW)

And @Tuffyyyyy good call on the heater controller. I use a Digital aquatics rkl which are now a defunk company lol but still works great. Not sure where you are from but summer is here and the days are going to be hot make sure to keep your tanks temp in control. Cheapest, easiest option is a fan running over your water (evaporative cooling) my RKL turn a fan on at 79.1 degrees till the tanks gets back down to 78.5.

OP
OP
Manonfire0815

Manonfire0815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used Red Seas Reef Mature Kit and I'm on day 16 and my levels seem to be off. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 1ppm, and Nitrate is 20ppm. I used Red Seas test kit. I'm trying to figure out how to get the Nitrite to 0 so I can add a cleanup crew. I'm considering abandoning the Reef Mature kit and going with Dr. Tims or Turbo start. I have five more days on the Red Sea plan, but it said I should have added a clean up crew on Day 10, but my readings were off so I didn't add. On day 10 red sea said I should be reading 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 0 Nitrate. I was not no where close to that. I did add about four pounds of Live rock and removed for pounds of dry rock thinking that would get things working better, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

20200730_221956.jpg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. Nitrite isn’t as toxic in salt, you can add critters. I personally wait until nitrite is zero.

OP
OP
Manonfire0815

Manonfire0815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have patience, I was just worried I did something wrong, it didn't seem as if my readings were matching up to where Red Sea projected I should be. Regardless, you have definitely made me feel better.

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unfamiliar with the red sea reef mature kit but I don't understand why they would expect your nitrates to be at zero... typical cycle is ammonia converted to nitrite, nitrite converted to nitrate when nitrate shows and no more amonia or nitrite your cycle is complete..

Are you feeding your beneficial bacteria with anything? (Ghost feeding)

The 4 lbs of live rock added I would trust will instantly cycle the tank...

I would say it is safe to add cuc at this time... will only aid in keeping the cycle going until completion tho I really believe in a pretty instant completion of cycle when live rock is used.

r33fermaddness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve probably got this sorted by now, but figured I’d chime in for archival purposes. I’m in the middle of the mature kit myself, and day 10 (which is today for me) projects 10ppm for Nitrate, not 0 - 0ppm for the other two though. That may be where the confusion came from. The mature kit is a carbon dosing system, it adds the bacteria and you dose NoPoX daily to feed it, I believe the NoPoX is ethanol & vinegar.

bingus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I know you all have a lot more knowledge setting up and maintaining a marine aquarium, so I am coming to you all for your expertise. I decided to go with the Waterbox cube 20/ ReefLED 50. I initially bought a Aquamaxx WS-1, but I couldn't figure out how to set it up in my AIO. Now I'm out of 200.00 because I went and bought a Fluval sea mini. I have the red sea marine care test kit which I haven't used and I am using the Red sea reef mature to get my tank cycling. I will test my water for the first time today. I am wondering am I off to a good start or am I missing something? I am also considering purchasing a reef wave 25 flow pump, but I don't know if I should wait for that or get it now, same with an ATO, I'm unsure if I should purchase all now or wait until I add life in the tank. I included a photo to let you all see what I am working with so far. If you were in my shoes on day 3 with the tank as pictured how would you move forward???

20200717_161925.jpg
What settings are you running for this light? I got the same setup for my girlfriend and trying to figure out what’s some good setting for softie/lps.

OP
OP
Manonfire0815

Manonfire0815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What settings are you running for this light? I got the same setup for my girlfriend and trying to figure out what’s some good setting for softie/lps.
Hi Bingus,
So I ended up selling the light and going with AI Prime 16hd. It allowed me to customize more then the reef led did. The reef led has some preset settings that I used. I didn’t really mess with it much. If I was you I would switch to AI prime as it’s a bit more easier and you can find hundreds of recipes to set the lights how you want for coral growth and aesthetics.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back