Waterproofing a stand?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have built a stand, I am curious on what others have used to waterproof it. I am envisioning some sort of sealant for the wood itself, along with sealed sides similar to our tanks. Is it possible to make the stand waterproof enough to hold water incase of an overflow? Is sanding a tank prior to painting it required? Really interested in what others have done.

IMG_0670.JPG

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy and I have been working to do just this. Basically we built a normal stand, put a piece of sheet wood on the bottom, then siliconed all the seams, painted flex seal over the bottom half of the inside stand, and then painted over that in an ultra white. If any water spills, its staying down there lol

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research aqua defense. I haven't used it for aquariums but I plan to. It's what I've used behind tile showers etc. it's pretty cool colored too. I'm sure it's similar to flex seal.

Hurdle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy and I have been working to do just this. Basically we built a normal stand, put a piece of sheet wood on the bottom, then siliconed all the seams, painted flex seal over the bottom half of the inside stand, and then painted over that in an ultra white. If any water spills, its staying down there lol
Did the same.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the killz. I stopped using it 10 years ago as it was pointless. even high gloss latex is water resistant.

You don't need to sand before painting, but it's a good idea. use 220 grit. if you were staining then you would absolutely need to sand before, and after the first coat.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I caulked all the joints in mine, then used oil based porch paint from Lowe's, comes in gray or white. Takes forever to dry, but a couple coats and it's glossy and looks great, water beads up on it and salt creep wipes right off.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the killz. I stopped using it 10 years ago as it was pointless. even high gloss latex is water resistant.

You don't need to sand before painting, but it's a good idea. use 220 grit. if you were staining then you would absolutely need to sand before, and after the first coat.
Would I go about sanding, by hand..? Or just use some sort of sander. Sorry I'm an idiot; I have probabaly all the supplies needed if anything. It's cool how this hobby has you learn new things such as using saws and stuff I've never used. Thanks for the advice too.

GarageReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It All depends on the quality you want as well. If you don't need 1,000,000 dollar mansion quality. Just caulk the seams. Spray a coat of any kilz spray paint primer. This will give the entire stand an even cost. It's super thick and fills gaps pretty good. Wait 24 hours. Then paint her. Paint and primer will protect the wood

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hand sander or a power sander - orbital or sheet. really, any method would work.

Would I go about sanding, by hand..? Or just use some sort of sander. Sorry I'm an idiot; I have probabaly all the supplies needed if anything. It's cool how this hobby has you learn new things such as using saws and stuff I've never used. Thanks for the advice too.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua Defense, Schluter/Kerdi, and Mapei HPG-5 are all water proofing that we use for showers and saunas to hold water. Make sure you pay attention to corners and it's simple.

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to say - stay away from rustoleum never wet! That stuff comes off as a very ugly white patchy frost.
Also it peels off to an extent. Just not a good product

Jolly Roger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I coated my stand in Spar Urethane which is what you would typically use on wood front doors and outside furniture. It's water and UV resistant. Then as a safety measure I caulked the interior as well...

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Heres a couple photos of mine, essentially if you want it to hold water in case of an overflow, it needs to have some sort of bottom that you can seal. Once all the joints were caulked and the oil based paint was dry, the bottom of mine could hold 10 gallons probably. The other good thing is, if there is salt creep I just take a wet rag and wipe the walls and floor off and it looks good as new.

IMAG0047.jpg

DSC09871.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back