WAV pumps stupid loud??

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a couple used WAV pumps on here for my 300g build. They are ridiculously loud. At full throttle they sound like they are coming apart. Even at 30-40% it is a ridiculous amount of noise that I can’t imagine being normal. Is it the motor (I think they are a few years old), impeller, need to be cleaned? No way people pay this much for pumps and put up with this noise…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bought a couple used WAV pumps on here for my 300g build. They are ridiculously loud. At full throttle they sound like they are coming apart. Even at 30-40% it is a ridiculous amount of noise that I can’t imagine being normal. Is it the motor (I think they are a few years old), impeller, need to be cleaned? No way people pay this much for pumps and put up with this noise…
Pull impellers (blades) and look for old snail shells and other debris which may be causing this

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I found with my WAV pump is some of my louder noise was the cord vibrating on the rim of the tank. But the general hum can be on the louder side especially if everything else is off (light fans, skimmer, etc)

OP
OP
punchy7080

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the suggestions. Took it apart and cleaned, no difference. What I did notice is it’s not bad just floating in the water. The noise is vibration against the tank. I only have an o-ring on the dry side, is that how they are new? I can see the space for an o-ring on the pump but mine didn’t come with that. Is that my problem?

ohioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are four rubber isolators and bands between the two plastic pieces on the wet side. I bought two used WAVs and they are noisy. When I took them out to clean, I noticed each one is missing one of the rubber isolaters and the bands are really stiff. I believe the missing rubber isolater is allowing the plastic to make contact with the glass causing the noise. I have ordered replacement kits for both pumps hoping to eliminate or at least reduce the noise.

Here's a link to the kits: https://www.aquacave.com/neptune-sys...net-mount.html

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back