Wave maker placement

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sayis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sayis

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 12, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...I have a 72 gallon reef tank...I have a tomato clown and a Kole tang...I have been experiencing some hair alge on the back of my tank and some on the sand...most of my zoas are stretching and I don't know what I'm doing wrong...I bought some led lights so I have a good light source but I'm not sure if it's too bright...I have my blues on for about 12 hours and my whites for about 6....I just bought a new wave maker that pumps a lot more water than the previous one...just looking for some ideas on where to place it...right now I have then on opposite sides facing to the top...if there's a better place for them I would like to know...and will more flow help with the stretching and hair alge...
 
To answer your question if more flow will help... probably not. I have noticed some zoas love LEDs while others simply don't. Some zoas actually grow and propagate but spend a good portion of the day closed under LEDs. Depending on their acclimation and variety you might find a myriad of responses. In general, you should be able to keep zoas under LEDs with no issue.
Two powerheads facing eachother towards the top seems like an appropriate placement.
If the zoas are shut all the time, I would consider a problem with the water parameters. Have them tested for at least Nitrate, Phosphate, Ca, Alk & Mg. and share the results.
Good luck
 
Thanks for the advice...I will get my water tested asap...do you have any advice on how to keep the stretching down? Or how to deal with the hair alge
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new