Wave makers/powerheads for 45 gallon

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to change my flow.
Currently have 2 underpowered hydor powerheads from my 20 gallon as well as a $15 wavemaker in my 45 gallon.
Looking to cut down to only two plugs and wondering do I need wavemaker of just direction heads.
Is it good to mix them? Benefits of one or the other?

MichaelGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opnion having anything that can create a chaotic flow is good enough. I want something powerful enough to blow detritus out of hard to reach areas every now and then. That +aestheitc form factor is normally what I aim for.

That being said check out the nero 5. I have one on my 30 gallon lagoon and its too much power. Im "down grading" to the nero 3.

The form + controllabiliy is awesome on any AI pumps, and the price of the nero is attractive.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opnion having anything that can create a chaotic flow is good enough. I want something powerful enough to blow detritus out of hard to reach areas every now and then. That +aestheitc form factor is normally what I aim for.

That being said check out the nero 5. I have one on my 30 gallon lagoon and its too much power. Im "down grading" to the nero 3.

The form + controllabiliy is awesome on any AI pumps, and the price of the nero is attractive.
Do I need opposing pumps on either side of the tank or is one enough?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just one or one on each side?

was also looking at gyre style wavermakers

Do I need opposing pumps on either side of the tank or is one enough?
I always place at least one pump on each side ... If you go bare bottom, I suggest 1 pointing at the bottom. I have never noticed any preferential flow pattern any better than going random/chaotic ...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back