WB Cube 20 Drilled

tomdeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

Here is my project.

I have just enough space in my home office for a nano tank but I really wanted the flexibility offered by a sump. After a lot of thoughts and considerations, I ended up buying a Waterbox Cube 20g with stand and have just drilled 3 holes at the bottom of the chambers. Driling was fairly straightforward but I still bought a cheap tank at my LFS to practice and test my template.

Here is the result:
PXL_20210403_151036656.jpg

The two holes in the middle are in the middle chamber and will be used for a herbie overflow system. The hole on the left is in the return chamber and will be used to let flexible tubing from the return pump to the outlet.

I'm really pleased with the result to be frank. I will probably replace the self levelling mat and drill the hole in the cabinet necessary for the return pipe before proceeding with plumbing.

I'll post progress here.

I'm open to constructive criticism and advice as I am very new to the hobby.

Thanks.

OP
OP
tomdeb

tomdeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress is slow but still, progress is progress.

I have received the sump and return pump as well as all the pipes and fitting required for the plumbing. I have drilled the cabinet for the return tubing and connected it all up.

After much hesitation, I have decided to go for the most direct plumbing possible. It probably wastes some space above the sump but I don't really care. Below is a picture of the dry fitting.

PXL_20210408_093929033.jpg

OP
OP
tomdeb

tomdeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still waiting for the cement to complete the plumbing but I received the acrylic ordered to "plug" the overflow from chamber 2 to 3. Since chamber 2 and 3 are now drilled to the sump below, this overflow is not required anymore and needs to be plugged in order to avoid spillage.

I have used a 8mm thick acrylic sheet along with EB25 sealant. Over time I may add a black acrylic cover to this section.

PXL_20210413_053809809.jpg

OP
OP
tomdeb

tomdeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is now hard plumbed. I used Griffon uni-100 PVC Cement along with the recommended cleaner. I am very impressed by how efficient this product is.

PXL_20210417_092402352.jpg

Bulkheads initially leaked quite a bit but it only needed some PTFE on the thread.

PXL_20210420_082710193.jpg

I water tested the tanked for 3 days and I am happy with the result.

7_WaterTestSumpView.jpg

I have started looking into the aquascape and I am seriously considering replicating the floating reef. any thoughts ?

It looks like I am going to be very busy at work for the next few weeks. Normally I would be looking at starting the tank cycle but I don't think it would be reasonable.

Last edited:

DanielSydneyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is now hard plumbed. I used Griffon uni-100 PVC Cement along with the recommended cleaner. I am very impressed by how efficient this product is.

PXL_20210417_092402352.jpg

Bulkheads initially leaked quite a bit but it only needed some PTFE on the thread.

PXL_20210420_082710193.jpg

I water tested the tanked for 3 days and I am happy with the result.

7_WaterTestSumpView.jpg

I have started looking into the aquascape and I am seriously considering replicating the floating reef. any thoughts ?

It looks like I am going to be very busy at work for the next few weeks. Normally I would be looking at starting the tank cycle but I don't think it would be reasonable.
Hi I love what you've done, I found this feed because I was literally wanting to do the exact same thing! Any chance of a list of plumbing etc so I can replicate. only difference id do is add the chiller from the return pump to chiller then into return outlet.
I previously used my cube for seahourses during lockdown, but want to do the floating shelf also and sumpand maybe ad or figure a way to make a refugium in sump too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back