Wb15 peninsula: gyre or nero3?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I'm in the process of setting up a waterbox mini peninsula 15 and I'm considering three flow options. It's been a hot second since I've used anything other than a vortech for flow, so I'm looking for folks who have first hand experience with these options to share their thoughts.

The tank is a zoa garden and is relatively live rock heavy.

Options:

1) using an upgraded return pump with a locline Y fitting and two random flow generator nozzles. I already have a Sicce 1.0 for my return. I'm currently running a IM spin stream rotating nozzle, but the spin stream REALLY seems to restrict the flow a ton. As it stands it's not enough flow and it's not spread out enough.

2) a Nero 3.

3) an icecap gyre 2k. I know this tends to be a higher flow pump, but I was thinking I could perhaps run it with only one side attached. Or just at low speed.

Right now there is a sale that puts number 2 and 3 at equivalent price points. The RFG nozzle and locline is annoyingly expensive for what it is: I think the y fitting, the Y fitting, and RFG nozzles will run about $60.

What are your thoughts?

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're keeping zoa's only you could run it with just return pump and add the Nero 3 later if you add more coral or feel the need for more flow (dead spot/detritus) which seems to be the case based on your comment.

I would not put a 2k gyre on a 15g. I tried a 1k on a 20g at 10% and water was almost spilling over.

I had the spinstream and didn't liked them. Restricted flow, got clog and needed to be cleaned regularly. Using the RFG now and like them a lot.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chrisv, long time no talk lol,

I have a Nero 3 on my WB Mini Peninsula 15 running random at 65% and I think it is all I need. I thought about a gyre but decided it would probably overwhelm the tank and I couldn't figure out where to mount it (other than the front glass--which wasn't happening) where it would not interfere with the overflow.

I decided not to rely on an RFG because I would need to crank the sump turn over higher than I would like it.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunze 6040, the best of both worlds and it can be controlled via 0-10v if desired. Think of it as a mini Stream 3. I have two that have been going strong for nearly 7 years without issue. Plus it’s a Tunze.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 6040, the best of both worlds and it can be controlled via 0-10v if desired. Think of it as a mini Stream 3. I have two that have been going strong for nearly 7 years without issue. Plus it’s a Tunze.
I almost bought the Tunze 6040 instead of the Nero 3. I love Tunze pumps but I just couldn't wrap my head around the exposed prop. I had the original Nanostreams for about 4 years and gave them to another reefer that ran them for at least another ten years, may still be using them for all I know.

I do think the 6040 would give better mounting options than the Nero 3. I hate that with the guard on it you cannot swivel the pump at all on its mount. Pretty cheap guard design in my book.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I almost bought the Tunze 6040 instead of the Nero 3. I love Tunze pumps but I just couldn't wrap my head around the exposed prop. I had the original Nanostreams for about 4 years and gave them to another reefer that ran them for at least another ten years, may still be using them for all I know.

I do think the 6040 would give better mounting options than the Nero 3. I hate that with the guard on it you cannot swivel the pump at all on its mount. Pretty cheap guard design in my book.
The prop stops when touched by anything, snails, fish, etc... that's the great thing about that pump. I've never had any issues with livestock getting caught up in and being harmed. In fact, if my strombus snails sneak in there during feeding time, it will either spin them out or not kick back on if there's any resistance.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prop stops when touched by anything, snails, fish, etc... that's the great thing about that pump. I've never had any issues with livestock getting caught up in and being harmed. In fact, if my strombus snails sneak in there during feeding time, it will either spin them out or not kick back on if there's any resistance.
Thanks minus9, that is good to know. Maybe a Tunze 6040 is in my future.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I just need to get over it, but when I searched for the tunze 6040 on my local forum, I found a dude complaining about how unreasonable it is that they increased in price to $80. Bums me out that they have doubled in price for basically no reason but greed.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I just need to get over it, but when I searched for the tunze 6040 on my local forum, I found a dude complaining about how unreasonable it is that they increased in price to $80. Bums me out that they have doubled in price for basically no reason but greed.
That was news to me but I just checked. Yup it went up from 140ish to 180ish. If it's any consolation have you looked at IM tanks this week. BRS has them in stock and they've pretty much all gone up 10% or so, along with practically everything else. Still, it is a VERY good pump.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was news to me but I just checked. Yup it went up from 140ish to 180ish. If it's any consolation have you looked at IM tanks this week. BRS has them in stock and they've pretty much all gone up 10% or so, along with practically everything else. Still, it is a VERY good pump.
Yeah but 80 to 180...leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Maybe I can find a used one.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6040‘s last price point before going to $180 was $144. It was at $143.99 for a long time… I’d like to say since their introduction to the market. Not sure where you’re getting the $80 price point from.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid about $140+ for mine. I just checked pricing and I found several places selling them for $159. That’s only a $15 increase.
Your right minus9. I just checked salterwateraquarium and it is 159.99, so only a 16 dollar increase. Not great but not as bad as BRS.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back