WDKegge's Elos SPS paradise, Funk in the front, junk in the trunk.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta tell ya this build thread title makes me smile every single time I come across it. ;Smug

Love that scape structure. Curious to see what you do with it.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The sump and frag tank are plumbed. I think I have vastly underestimated the size of the return pump I am going to need, this skimz DC 1050gph is not going to cut it, think i'm going to sell and it and look at the Jaebo 18 or 20k DC pumps.

Anyways, Few more small steps and I can actually fill the frag tank with saltwater and get it up and running, then move the elos display into place on the other side of the wall at my own time.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well everything is in place, the Hvac is all done and does a great job of pulling air out, the holes are drilled in my walls (sorry babe!) and all the plumbing is done, I see no other reason not to start filling this guy, little things can be done along the way, but I think it's time to get this thing wet.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I should be okay if I do about 40 gallons of water, then put the siporax from the elos into the sump on the frag tank, Everything should be in place by the weekend.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big update, Tank is running great and is dead silent. Threw in some Dr Tims bacteria and moved over all my cycled siporax. The elos is pretty much ready to go at this point, have to make a connection to the return and the overflow, decided to just go with some flex tubing and some barbs for ease with how tight the area is. Should be able to fill the tank by this weekend and basically "flip the switch" and have it all running together.

All
Most
THERE!

Cleaned up the electrical outlet. Not the prettiest, but looks good when looking from the side :)
xfjVHuM.jpg

Inside the stand
UY2Bz9d.jpg

View from inside my bedroom looking out to my den area
q0N8620.jpg

Before I hooked everything up.
OhqtVzJ.jpg

rhMlMhT.jpg

The frag tank
9TuXTYb.jpg

The scape is a perfect fit!
aKp35Z1.jpg

EQVmGeu.jpg

eDOtibZ.jpg

The little rodents say "Thanks for looking!"

5TUFInz.jpg

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if I will see a cycle with the siporax in the sump.

Tank looks great in the downstairs area, even my wife said it looked good there, so it can't be too bad!

zhgIOOJ.jpg

vtXk1gj.jpg

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CFoOC6m.jpg

Swapped out the gyre 230s for some tunze 6095's running them on a apex VDM. Like them leaps and bounds over the gyres, they were so god dang noisy compare to these. The flow pattern is nice and wide as well.

Might be throwing some test frags in soon.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

I'm still alive and the tank is still going. Things are moving, slowly, but moving in the right direction I believe. Not sure what the issue was for the past month, but it seems like this has been the slowest tank cycle I have ever had across all the tanks I have setup. The issues I would see come and go on smaller/other tanks seems to be taking 3 times as long with this setup, not sure what to attest that too.

The Bad:

Lost several different batches of chaeto, they would either die almost instantly or slowly melt and fall apart. Not sure if this is from how powerful the H380 is or the tank not being established. I have both lowered the time the Fuge light is running, along with the tank being a little older and now have a small ball of chaeto growing in a very thick dense ball.

Nuked several coral almost overnight (i'll get to that more later).

Lost several fish for unknown reasons, one wrasse jumped out of the tank overnight, and as of this morning a very small (size of a quarter) one spot fox either died on his own, or get sucked onto the size of the tunze, I had seen him sleeping near it at night and i'm guessing he got pulled onto the side of it and couldn't get off :(.

Weird purple algae (cyno?) growing on the substrate I added.

The good:

Water between the two tanks has been really stable, after changing out a few ball valves for gate valves I have both tanks running silent.

Jawbreakers in the frag tank have had several nice looking babies.

Sps frags now have great PE and are showing signs of good growth.

Changes:

Lighting - After thinking about it for a bit, doing research, and being spured on by @Ryanbrs stellar review of the light I decided to switch up my lighting in favor of the aquatic life t5 hybrid coupled with a kessil 360WE. Other than one small modification I did to the light ( Cut and re routed and spliced power cords to make it a 1 plug fixture for a cleaner look) The color and shimmer along with the blanket of light with the T5 seems like a great combination.

I also had several frags that I had tried out that seem'd to do nothing but die under the metal halide, the ones I caught before they bit the dust I threw into the frag tank under the kessil and came back to life like magic, not sure what to attest this too, but almost overnight after taking the halide down and putting up the kessil I saw instant polyp extension.

Added some heavy substrate to the bottom of the SPS tank.

Hopefully there should be more updates to come as I feel like the tank is getting close to adding some more sps frags, I will try to keep more up to date, but for now, PICTURES!

Just Kessil:
n1ozamO.jpg

5Xjdl4N.jpg

Kessil and 3 ATI blue+ and 1 Purple+
miLh0Mb.jpg

AoI6sL2.jpg

Test frags:

idMD4t0.jpg

Split view of the tanks:

RdIKe8u.jpg

Frag tank mushrooms
QafKoBK.jpg

pBrGYBJ.jpg

LqgKY92.jpg

vaFEc2V.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is COOL!! Can't wait to see how this progresses!

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, thought I would update the thread.

Things have had their ups and downs, tank went through a large cyano and hair algae bloom out of nowhere, fairly sure it's still just new tank syndrome. Treated the tank with chemiclean for the cyano and fulled rocks and scrubbed off the hair algae, also got a small yellow tang who has been doing a fantastic job of keeping the tank spotless.

After that debacle I finally started seeing some progress forward, started seeing Coraline algae for the first time, started seeing nice encrusting of the sample frags I had along with polyp extension and coloring up.

At this point I felt safe to start cherry picking some sps I have always wanted.

Picked up:
RR Rainbow loom
RR Promethus
Walt Disney

Still a long way to go before the SPS tank is looking stocked.

All of them are doing great and have encrusted onto their frag domes.

On the other side of the system in the frag tank I am seeing tons of color coming into my jawbreakers, they are laying babies everywhere.

I am still doing regular water changes and not dosing anything just yet as the amount of frags I have along with the water volume hasn't warranted it yet.

Anyways, PICTURES!

GNUYnq8.jpg

EQtCI4Q.jpg

TY4Rec8.jpg

VeQresB.jpg

TCQuMUW.jpg

KPKPTtt.jpg

6uLrk1X.jpg

efUUerS.jpg

OJ8o703.jpg

58q5BJ3.jpg

GIDi7ir.jpg

xvJNpcW.jpg

G1UTJk7.jpg

QbWudmT.jpg

hWDQHCh.jpg

KFiVp7n.jpg

Vc2MXy8.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, but I have to mess with you a little. One major unwritten rule of reefing is your tank must always be larger than your TV

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How's this reef doing?

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's this reef doing?

This tank has been shut down for a while and moved to a upgrade!

You can find the new tank build here:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back