We Need to Band Together and Stop the Naming of Clams

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the pic doesn't do it justice. Here's the same coral bought from WWC in our 75
Screenshot_20181130-184422_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to stop naming things and start calling species by their correct names! Aqua SD is one of the biggest offenders I have seen. They will slap a stupid name on anything but identical frags get another just as stupid name. It’s all marketing.
This frustrates me to no end. Their constant name changing is not only annoying, it’s misleading and completely unnessecary.

I bought corals from them 3 years ago. I see the exact same corals for sale on their site regularly and it has a different name every time. 30 different names for the same green pavona, and the orange psammocora. Are they trying to fool us? What a silly marketing tactic. I’ve always preferred scientific names....

Last edited:

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to stop naming things and start calling species by their correct names! Aqua SD is one of the biggest offenders I have seen. They will slap a stupid name on anything but identical frags get another just as stupid name. It’s all marketing.
Yes they do just like every online vendor. But I look at the coral itself. I just purchased 22 frags from them and everyone of them look exactly like the picture. I know the type of each coral I purchased. The color in my tank look almost identical as their picture. I don't buy expensive ones as they all seem to improve in color after I have them a while. I will never pay $50 on a frag but I have for colonies from LFS even though I have to drive 3 hour to closest one. A bubble gum digi is the same regardless of who puts their name on it. Lots of people pay big bucks for corals from Jason Fox then have their corals be a completely different color and growth. I want healthy corals no matter what name someone has put on them. Same thing with clams I don't want to over pay because of name but I do want to know type and health.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do just like every online vendor. But I look at the coral itself. I just purchased 22 frags from them and everyone of them look exactly like the picture. I know the type of each coral I purchased. The color in my tank look almost identical as their picture. I don't buy expensive ones as they all seem to improve in color after I have them a while. I will never pay $50 on a frag but I have for colonies from LFS even though I have to drive 3 hour to closest one. A bubble gum digi is the same regardless of who puts their name on it. Lots of people pay big bucks for corals from Jason Fox then have their corals be a completely different color and growth. I want healthy corals no matter what name someone has put on them. Same thing with clams I don't want to over pay because of name but I do want to know type and health.
Nice.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen unnamed frags sit in a tank at a show and won't sell simply because people ask what it is and the vendor will say "Oh, that's an unnamed piece I just recently picked up." Then instantly go for the less colorful named piece. That vendor could then slap a ridiculous name on it the very next customer that asked about it and it would sell immediately.

The vendors are doing exactly what the community wants. Named corals sell faster. Me personally, I buy for the look and the color, but that being said if I buy a frag of Red Planet or Bonsai, I know exactly what it should look like once it grows out. Buying mystery coral X you have no idea what it will then out to look like, which sometimes is more fun.

Personally, I do not think clams should be named, however, I think naming corals helps make our hobby more interesting to new and aspiring reefers.

psychobilly07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that they use these made up names because as soon as I see one I know not to do business with that vendor. Was always a fan of the purple monster acro which I think is an acropora granulosa but now they have pink monster shrooms, zoanthhids, acans, etc its too over the top so sell all the orange passion and walt disneys frags you want I'll stick to purchasing acropora tenius

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has been in this hobby since 1997, naming has always been my pet peeve. I've "accepted" the SPS monikers, but to me this is like giving a stupid cutsie name to a show dog. It is still a American Cocker Spaniel a Airedale Terrier or a Boxer.

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a better coral, clam, frag, fish, [enter item here], if you give it a fancy name....oh, and once you do, you can charge more, MUCH MORE!!!

That said I have some Out of This World First-Class Galaxy Ultra Super Green Star Mega Polyps for sale, anyone?
You forgot the holy grail... LOL

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you own Golden Doodles, Labradoodles, Teddy Bears, Shi-Poos, Chiweenies, Puggles...shall I continue?

If you do, you paid an ASTRONOMICAL amount of money for a very cute, adorable... mutt... oh, wait I mean "Designer Breed"

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those the new blue leopard lightning speckeled squamosas!;)

You have to name each one individually. Blue Leopard is on the left and Blue Lighting is on the right. ...so they are worth 3x now?

Naming a kind of clam is OK. There are strains of Maximas called Tahitians that look different - I am OK with this. I am not Ok with naming each of the thousands of Tahitians that come into the US. To me, identifying a kinda of clam is not the same as naming an individual clam.

BTW - the best clam name every was somebody who posted "Clammy Davis, Jr." This is not my name... and I cannot remember who posted it.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind names, but it drives me bonkers when they don't also include the species somewhere in there. Specifically in corals where there is asexual clones being sold, Tootie Fruity - sure - it identifies a color morph - but it tells me nothing at all about the care requirements of the coral. It's nice to be able to trace the color morph through the hobby, but I reeeeallllly like being able to look up the species information. Is it found in lagoons? Wave zones? Is it exposed at low tide? All of this can be found in scientific literature - but no scientist is going to write an article along the lines of "Natural Selection of the Walt Disney Acro".

It's hard to impossible for the average hobbyist to identify down to the species level a lot of our corals (Zoanthus is a genus...) so having that information from "the pros" who propagate or sell the frags is hugely important. It can cut down on sooooo much of the confusion around "where in my tank should I put this Ninja Turtle?". If it was called the "Ninja Turtle caroliniana" instead it'd clear up so much confusion.

For the love of all that's good.. at least include the species name in your morph marketing name!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never buy a single head favia for $20 but on sale for 10 I might If it looks much different than any I had already. I don't go by names a favia is a favia but give a color I don't have.

I agree, but I also like to buy some of their higher priced frags now and then just to support their business. I also occasionally stop by their shop on my way home just to look at all the fantastic coral specimens that they import or bring into the shop from local growers, and leave without anything. Sometimes I just want to look, and if they went out of business because of the Indo ban, or slow sales I would regret not supporting them while I can.
Name Games:
I also will go into a McDonald's and ask for a "Whopper," and the clerks generally think I'm either crazy or confused. A rare clerk will suggest; "How about a Big Mac." Those smart clerks are rare, and I will go back to that burger joint sooner than the one where folks just look at me like I am crazy. (There is ample evidence that I am, but that's beside the point.)

I think naming merchandise for sales purposes is an old practice that LFS will not stop using. Pricing is whatever the market will pay.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back