We Need to Band Together and Stop the Naming of Clams

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to see Vendors "name" clams. Goldeneye Maxima, Blue Lagoon Crocea, Starry Night Deresa, etc. I saw a Tahitian with the name of Electric Hippo. There is one on eBay right now called Golden Storm. I do not know if I can take it... please make it stop!

Can we all sign a pact that nobody will EVER buy a named clam in the hopes that the market will react and stop doing this?

I officially sign.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to see Vendors "name" clams. Goldeneye Maxima, Blue Lagoon Crocea, Starry Night Deresa, etc. I saw a Tahitian with the name of Electric Hippo. There is one on eBay right now called Golden Storm. I do not know if I can take it... please make it stop!

Can we all sign a pact that nobody will EVER buy a named clam in the hopes that the market will react and stop doing this?

I officially sign.
Named clams?? Where can I get one?! :eek::eek::eek:

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all marketing.
These are businesses, marketing comes first bottom line. People need to understand this, no business owner is going to sacrifice sales for some false sense of "integrity" when what they're doing isn't even harmful. We wouldn't have all these amazing corals in the trade if it weren't for the hype that drives their sales. It's an important part of the hobby, plus names help people get their hands on certain corals. I want a WD Tenuis? I can spend years searching the market to find some nameless acro that matches the colors, or I can fork over the cash to get a verified frag with lineage. In a collector's hobby such as this the naming of corals/nems/clowns/whatever is not only inevitable but a necessity too.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call my deresa George.
bbb63c719fc002636886c8f2385e35f1

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We need to stop the naming of everything. I'm an "SPS guy" and it's ridiculous how many of the EXACT SAME coral get different names. It's not even worth calling out the vendors; they do it because it works. Some vendor thinks they got some "super exclusive" hookup on a particular coral.... guess what?... so did 37 other people. Even the top guys in the trade are doing this. Some realize their super special specimen is the same as the next place and give it a new name anyway, and some others simply don't realize it.

Even more frustrating is that many top vendors have received a coral from someone with a known name and then deliberately changed the name as a marketing stunt. Some of the "best" in the industry are still doing this even now. I'm beyond over the naming thing.

I'm far more interested in the year/location it came from and the scientific name. That is a whole lot more valuable toward understanding if it's really any different from something I already have.

Naming clams is just a logical extension of this whole laughably bad marketing ploy.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We need to stop the naming of everything. I'm an "SPS guy" and it's ridiculous how many of the EXACT SAME coral get different names. It's not even worth calling out the vendors; they do it because it works. Some vendor thinks they got some "super exclusive" hookup on a particular coral.... guess what?... so did 37 other people. Even the top guys in the trade are doing this. Some realize their super special specimen is the same as the next place and give it a new name anyway, and some others simply don't realize it.

Even more frustrating is that many top vendors have received a coral from someone with a known name and then deliberately changed the name as a marketing stunt. Some of the "best" in the industry are still doing this even now. I'm beyond over the naming thing.

I'm far more interested in the year/location it came from and the scientific name. That is a whole lot more valuable toward understanding if it's really any different from something I already have.

Naming clams is just a logical extension of this whole laughably bad marketing ploy.

I agree the same coral now has 1o different names. they buy from each other and give it a new name or the the same name with their name in front of it..

We need to stop naming things and start calling species by their correct names! Aqua SD is one of the biggest offenders I have seen. They will slap a stupid name on anything but identical frags get another just as stupid name. It’s all marketing.

The only issue is with coral this is pretty hard to do with allot of species like acropora or montipora..
Most lps are not to bad to identify but not sps.

I mean there are 10 coral we call Acropora millepora or montipora capricornis.

What do you need to identify the different corals you cant id to species?

Last edited:

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are businesses, marketing comes first bottom line. People need to understand this, no business owner is going to sacrifice sales for some false sense of "integrity" when what they're doing isn't even harmful. We wouldn't have all these amazing corals in the trade if it weren't for the hype that drives their sales. It's an important part of the hobby, plus names help people get their hands on certain corals. I want a WD Tenuis? I can spend years searching the market to find some nameless acro that matches the colors, or I can fork over the cash to get a verified frag with lineage. In a collector's hobby such as this the naming of corals/nems/clowns/whatever is not only inevitable but a necessity too.
I get the WD Tenius because you can frag them and it is “unique”. You can’t frag a clam or other animals that reproduce sexually.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue is with coral this is pretty hard to do with allot of species like acropora or montipora..
Most lps are not to bad to identify but not sps.

I mean there are 10 coral we call Acropora millepora or montipora capricornis.

What do you need to identify the different corals you cant id to species?

Little confused on what you are saying. I’m just saying that if we desire to care for these animals we should atleast respect their scientific names. All the acans, brains, fat heads, torches, hammers, ect and ect dumbs down the whole process of caring for an animal.
I agree that special frags can get special names for collectors but I see soooo much average stuff being marketed as some stupid name no one has heard off. Leave the naming for the high end stuff so people can track it.

The naming of clams just pushes this idea further. Since clams do not make exact copies of themselves it would be impossible to give them a name.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the WD Tenius because you can frag them and it is “unique”. You can’t frag a clam or other animals that reproduce sexually.
Yes but this thread has gotten to the point where everyone is complaining about names in general so I wanted to defend the fact that names are necessary. I don't really care about clams personally so I have no opinion on that, but the fact that everyone is so mad about coral naming is really hypocritical. We all rely on coral names, and sure a vendor renaming a coral 30 times is annoying but it's inevitable.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little confused on what you are saying. I’m just saying that if we desire to care for these animals we should atleast respect their scientific names. All the acans, brains, fat heads, torches, hammers, ect and ect dumbs down the whole process of caring for an animal.
I agree that special frags can get special names for collectors but I see soooo much average stuff being marketed as some stupid name no one has heard off. Leave the naming for the high end stuff so people can track it.

The naming of clams just pushes this idea further. Since clams do not make exact copies of themselves it would be impossible to give them a name.

My point is we cant id allot of sps so how do you call them by their scientific name?
With out genetic testing it is very hard to id allot.

That why there is common names. It just it has got out of hand.

Last edited:

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I thought it made plenty of sense when ORA (and others) would assign a "grade" to a clam. Sure, it's still somewhat subjective, but it's a least "based" on an objective measure. Naming of clams is definitely the point where this all has gone too far.

B0brobert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These three T. croceaclams came from the same parents at the same time and have lived right next to each other since being placed in this outdoor tank.
Notice the big one is about twice the size of the small one.. (James W. Fatherree). Why would they have different names. They're Croceas. That's it that all.
DSC03438.jpg

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issue with naming most corals. I HATE people who rename stuff that already has a name, or those that lies and says that a piece is a named piece just to sell it. However, naming clams is going too far. Each one is unique and you cannot frag them, so this goes too far for me. It isn't like you can come up with a great name for a clam and sell frags of it for a few years at a high price.

Back