Weird creature in coral frag

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mamamia8878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody! I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm new to the hobby and just recently started coral I've had this one in my tank for about a week and just yesterday I noticed this weird hairlike creature poking out between the coral and the frag plug. Any ideas as to what this is? If you get close to it, it retreats quickly back inside. Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment 20190212_184419.jpg

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like there is a couple more to the left. aptasia spreads pretty quickly. you could super glue over it like mentioned above or buy some aptasia x, aptasia x isn't that great for bigger aptasia but works pretty well on smaller ones.

OP
OP
Mamamia8878

Mamamia8878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like there is a couple more to the left. aptasia spreads pretty quickly. you could super glue over it like mentioned above or buy some aptasia x, aptasia x isn't that great for bigger aptasia but works pretty well on smaller ones.
Thank you! There are a few more of them in there I noticed but this one was the biggest one and most noticeable. I'll go look up that stuff you mentioned. Hopefully I can get rid of it pretty easily. Is it harmful to my fish or other corals?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! There are a few more of them in there I noticed but this one was the biggest one and most noticeable. I'll go look up that stuff you mentioned. Hopefully I can get rid of it pretty easily. Is it harmful to my fish or other corals?
Yea they sting.
It’s an anemone.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard to R2R!

Good luck with getting rid of the aptasia.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Is it really difficult to get rid of? The only place I see it right now is in that one coral.

If on just the one coral, I'd just remove and dip the one coral in this or a similar product.

***Excuse the 4 boxes of NSW...UPS was to deliver my Tropic Marin Classic yesterday and destroyed it and disposed of my order...kinda hot about that. arg
52002781_10217993713057197_7759720042203185152_n.jpg

OP
OP
Mamamia8878

Mamamia8878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I'll try that. Thanks so much for all the help! I really appreciate it. :)

Oh my goodness, I would be hot over that too! I hope they're planning on making it right....if they can.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I'll try that. Thanks so much for all the help! I really appreciate it. :)

Oh my goodness, I would be hot over that too! I hope they're planning on making it right....if they can.

New bucket being sent but at the end of the day between the 2 shipments, it's a 10-day wait...hence the 20g of NSW for a WC. argh

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had good results with Aiptasi-X; it will knock them back but never seems to kill them. I have however, had great results with boiling water. Using a large syringe such as those used for injecting turkeys (the large capacity prevents the water in the syringe from cooling rapidly), I try to stab the aiptasia and then give it a healthy dose of hot water. The heat usually dissipates quickly enough to not harm near by desirable critters but kills the aiptasia.

Millimylilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use Aiptasia-X!!! It will spread it likes no tomorrow. Just take it out, do the dip like The Cap said, and glue over them and seal em up.

MikeW9788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revive coral dip is anemone safe and will not kill aiptasia. Probably not a bad idea for other pests. I dip and scrub everything that goes in my tank. If there are multiple aiptasia on that rock I'd cut my losses and get rid of it immediately. If they get a foothold in your tank you could be battling them indefinitely. My last tank was neglected for a few months and was overrun by manjano anemones. I did not reuse a single thing from that tank on my new build. In your case and hopefully it hasn't been in your tank long enough for them to spread elsewhere, I'd get rid of it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back