Weird discoloration, Uronema?

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received 2 new fish last Wednesday and put them in QT. 2 days ago I noticed a little discoloration on the flameback's tail. It appears much worse today. It's still eating fine, but seems less energetic now. The baby purple tang isn't showing any symptoms. QT was ramped up to 2.5 ppm CU on 11/26. I'm not sure what it is, bacterial, or uronema? Please let me know if you have any ideas on treament.

#fishmedic

IMG_0557.JPG

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, I cannot see the video. It seems like a bit of an odd place for uronema. How are the parameters in your tank - and are you sure your copper level is not too high? If you wanted to empirically add an antibiotic like kanamycin you could. perhaps @Jay Hemdal or @vetteguy53081 will weigh in shortly

OP
OP
T

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted it on youtube, so this link may help:

Looking through my supply cabinet, I found General Cure, Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Furan-2. Thoughts on any of those?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just posted it on youtube, so this link may help:

Looking through my supply cabinet, I found General Cure, Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Furan-2. Thoughts on any of those?

Hi - it's good that you have them. I would consider general cure - however I'm hoping that jay will give an opinion. I'm a little on the fence since it's somewhat harder to see the lesion in the video. And I'm going to be in and out - so might not be able to respond.

I don't know why a bacterial infection would cause this - but the rapid worsening could suggest this. flukes can cause some color changes, but I would say this is not typical for flukes.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, gross visual symptoms just are not enough to give a solid diagnosis....

I don't think it is flukes, as those tend to be spread more evenly across a fish's body. It looks to large and diffuse to be Uronema, but I can't rule that out 100%. The standard diagnosis would then be bacterial, but I can't account for how that started up, usually external bacterial infections have some injury as the root cause.

You might consider a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic - Neoplex perhaps.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree, bacterial or rash from injury and even aggression damage. What other fish are in tank with it? Something clowns would do

OP
OP
T

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I decided to dose kanaplex last night since I had it on hand. The only other fish in the qt is a baby purple tang, about 1.5”. The flame back was a little aggressive to the PT last week when both were introduced, but that settled quickly.

I did actually see the PT flash once this morning, which was a first. Could the kanaplex dose cause that?

I’m Still holding copper at 2.5ppm.

Was thinking of 2 more doses of kanaplex, large water change, and moving to two rounds of general cure in case of flukes. I’ll plan to hold copper at 2.5ppm throughout.

OP
OP
T

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The discoloration started shrinking a day or so after the 1st kanaplex dose, and it's completely gone now. Both fish flashed a little during the couple rounds of of antibiotics. That stopped a shortly after the 1st does of GC. Maybe flukes involved too...

Either way, both are looking great and eating well now. Just over 2 weeks in QT. Thanks for the help!

IMG_0636.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back