Weird readings?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! I will bring it tomorrow. Is there any other testing I should be buying? I have always tested ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and ph, but should I be testing anything else??
If you plan on getting corals, phosphate, magnesium, calcium and alkalinity would be useful

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok since you're waiting on test kits, take water sample to LFS and have them test, so at least you can get a ground zero reading. Keep the powerhead going so aeration helps keep inhabitants happy. Avoid throwing any more additives at it until you have your params. Hopefully the amount of transfer water brought over enough beneficial bacteria to get you through.
Ugh Im so frustrated right now! I think I messed up the cycle. The ammonia is super high 1 ppm, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. Why are nitrites not showing at this point?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just sit tight and let tank cycle. Ammonia is first step (and it's not that high to worry) test like every other day and track your results. It's hard to say where the #s are with all the things you threw at it from the beginning so it's best not to over-react and watch the #s. You'll be fine, just let nature do it's thing. Enjoy the evolution, you'll be amazed.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just sit tight and let tank cycle. Ammonia is first step (and it's not that high to worry) test like every other day and track your results. It's hard to say where the #s are with all the things you threw at it from the beginning so it's best not to over-react and watch the #s. You'll be fine, just let nature do it's thing. Enjoy the evolution, you'll be amazed.
Okay! I will try to not over react

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once your tank settles down in a few weeks and the cycle progresses to safe parameters. You can always pick up a few peppermint shrimp to work on that aiptasia ordeal. I have enjoyed that battle myself in the past when they would sneak in on new pieces. I started a 240g about 8-9 months ago bare bottom with dry rock. I started from total scratch. 3 months ago when I finally started adding live stock. Those nasty guys started popping up 2-3 a week. I put 4 peppermint in 7 days ago and they have really went to work. I have used a few of the treatments out there with very little success. So... figured I would present an option for you in the battle of aiptasia once you are able.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once your tank settles down in a few weeks and the cycle progresses to safe parameters. You can always pick up a few peppermint shrimp to work on that aiptasia ordeal. I have enjoyed that battle myself in the past when they would sneak in on new pieces. I started a 240g about 8-9 months ago bare bottom with dry rock. I started from total scratch. 3 months ago when I finally started adding live stock. Those nasty guys started popping up 2-3 a week. I put 4 peppermint in 7 days ago and they have really went to work. I have used a few of the treatments out there with very little success. So... figured I would present an option for you in the battle of aiptasia once you are able.
Thank you! I wish I have known lol. I dont have aiptasia in the new tank, at least not yet. I did transfer some water from the old tank infested with aiptasia, but highly doubt it will affect my new water. Anyway, it If Ido get it ; I will definitely try the peppermint shrimp.
240g? Wow that’s amazing and expensive lol. Pics?

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I wish I have known lol. I dont have aiptasia in the new tank, at least not yet. I did transfer some water from the old tank infested with aiptasia, but highly doubt it will affect my new water. Anyway, it If Ido get it ; I will definitely try the peppermint shrimp.
240g? Wow that’s amazing and expensive lol. Pics?
Well I will cross my fingers for you. Those things can come on pretty much anything. It always seems like just a matter of time before at least one appears and shows it’s ugly face.
I have only been in the hobby for about 5 years. I have a whole thread that I started on the build.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I will cross my fingers for you. Those things can come on pretty much anything. It always seems like just a matter of time before at least one appears and shows it’s ugly face.
I have only been in the hobby for about 5 years. I have a whole thread that I started on the build.
Very beautiful! One day I will get a huge tank like that one lol.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever put any dr Tim’s one and only in the tank? Sounds like there is no bacteria in the tank that can process the ammonia.
Also wouldn’t adding prime just bind the ammonia which would delay the cycle even longer?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever put any dr Tim’s one and only in the tank? Sounds like there is no bacteria in the tank that can process the ammonia.
Also wouldn’t adding prime just bind the ammonia which would delay the cycle even longer?
No Prime binds Ammonia to make it safe for fish but it is still readily removed by the biological filter

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I put stability and bio spora, so there is bacteria.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Prime binds Ammonia to make it safe for fish but it is still readily removed by the biological filter
Hi, so I wanted to show you guys the readings.. not sure if you are able to tell but the ammonia is 2, nitrites 50, ph between 7.8 and 8. Do you think I should do a small water change? Or should I just keep adding prime and no water change? Also, I added live rocks yesterday! Sorry for being annoying but just want to make sure my fishy babies are doing okay in that water lol

74DA4F1C-4778-441A-9318-9212B8B1ACF2.jpeg

Back