Weldon 40? Need advice for f2f sheet glueing

Treehrtsme

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2023
Messages
957
Reaction score
219
Location
Atlanta GA
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Finally got me well done 40. Got plenty of acrylic. Figured I'd go big and go home and glue to 24x24 8-in cell cast colored sheets together. After one of my last thread full of people saying they do this for a living and well down 40 is a way to go I was hoping to get some advice from those people on how to proceed, what the dilution would be helpful and if there's a particular technique to slapping a 24x24-in sheet on top of another while using glue and avoiding air bubbles or any light bleed through that may alter color?
 
What I learned is that weld-on 40 is very thin and will run everywhere. More importantly is use it in a very well ventilated area. I forget what chemicals are in it, but they are very bad for your health.
 
What I learned is that weld-on 40 is very thin and will run everywhere. More importantly is use it in a very well ventilated area. I forget what chemicals are in it, but they are very bad for your health.
I've heard, I was going to run it with a respirator first go. I know they sell 3036 or 5 6 is it to actually bring down the viscosity of this so I was under the impression it'd be much thicker
 
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acrylic-fabrication-q-a.224773/
This helped me immensely!!

I recommend the “pins method”, always clean surfaces after sanding and prior to welding with warm soapy water, then wash soap/hard water off with RO water! — every acrylic weld I’ve done without any soapy water cleaning has snapped apart with mild to moderate force!

IMG_6396.jpeg IMG_6448.jpeg
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new