Well hi there new(ish?) reefer

MalenfoiReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Charleston(ish) South Carolina! (For anyone local, hi specifically from Moncks Corner lol)

So I’m not an entirely new reefer, but it’s been over 10yrs since I had a saltwater tank and boy have things changed since then. Some people might ask why I’m interested again after so long…well I’m an ADHD Sagittarian which might be enough of an answer for a few but the truth is, I’ve been having dreams about clownfish for months now so clearly the universe is trying to tell me something.

I’ve been doing some research over the last month or so, but with my birthday next weekend, my best friend got me the EVO 13.5gal saltwater kit last night. (Personally I think she was sick of me hemhawing over what size tank to start with again and also watching my budget regarding gear) Won’t lie, I’m nervous because I clearly remember how hard my 20gal long was way back when, but I also had a lot of other things happening (new house, got married, new job, divorce, new job position, etc).

Anyway, my plan was to visit another local fish shop that’s closer to me, source some live sand and live rock to get the tank cycling hopefully today. In a few weeks I’d like to get a small pair of caramel or snowflake clowns as the main inhabitants. I also want a scarlet skunk shrimp because they’re so dang cute. I wish I could get a small yellow or bristletooth tang but I know this tank is just way too small, so if anyone has any other suggestions for small and colorful inhabitants I’m all ears! I do plan on adding a few various snails and hermits as clean up too but I plan to do some soft corals like zoas, mushies, candies and some clove or green star. Oh! Can’t forget the ubiquitous urchin too!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your first sentence immediately made me homesick. I’m a military brat who grew up in Goose Creek and went to U of South Carolina up in Columbia. Lived in SC for over 25 years but I live in San Diego now. I visit home (my parents and one of my brothers still live there) every chance I get. How’s the saltwater scene there? I remember growing up the only saltwater fish store was Tideline Aquatics in Hanahan. Anyways, good luck with your build.

1701027298000.jpeg

OP
OP
MalenfoiReefs

MalenfoiReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your first sentence immediately made me homesick. I’m a military brat who grew up in Goose Creek and went to U of South Carolina up in Columbia. Lived in SC for over 25 years but I live in San Diego now. I visit home (my parents and one of my brothers still live there) every chance I get. How’s the saltwater scene there? I remember growing up the only saltwater fish store was Tideline Aquatics in Hanahan. Anyways, good luck with your build.

1701027298000.jpeg
Haha Tidelines is still the best shop around honestly, and by that I mean they’re clean, stocked with good fish and very knowledgeable people. I actually just got back from there getting some life rock, live sand and water. Thankfully there’s a newer shop on 17A close to me that I can get water from until I decide it’s worth it to dish out for an RO/DI system

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back