Well water

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, dumb question, how do you recharge the resin? We’ve got the BRS 5stage with the resin tube. Isn’t it shot after color change? I’m not sure of all this, husband hooks it all up!
Thanks, Debra
It's pretty easy. You use a solution of caustic soda ( lye, sodium hydroxide) to separate the resins into the cation and anion. Then you have to soak the cation in an acid solution.

Lots of instructions on the web. This is the first one that I used way back https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-09/nftt/index.php

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys, really need out of box thinking. Our 250’ deep well is in solid limestone. The R/OD/I resin is burning out and the Alkaline level is about 15. Does anyone heave this problem and thank God, what did you do???
Happy Easter, Debra
take a glass of tap water, check PH. let it sit 24hrs and ck PH again, if it goes up you have co2

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi guys, really need out of box thinking. Our 250’ deep well is in solid limestone. The R/OD/I resin is burning out and the Alkaline level is about 15. Does anyone heave this problem and thank God, what did you do???
Happy Easter, Debra
I ran my well water though a whole house filter, then a water softener then to RODI unit

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have seperate resins, it's real easy to recharge the anion(from co2). It's just the lye you need. Always use your PPE.(personal protection equipment)
Mixed beds are separated with muriatic acid, that recharges the cation, then lye for the anion.
Mix them back up(or keep separated) and run ro thru it to"wash" or the chemicals.

I'm on a well with 48ish TDS and constantly recharge the anion for co2. I can get about 150/200 gallons between charges.
My cation and mixed bed are probably 2 years old and still fresh.

Last edited:

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have seperate resins, it's real easy to recharge the anion(from co2). It's just the lye you need. Always use your PPE.(personal protection equipment)
Mixed beds are separated with muriatic acid, that recharges the cation, then lye for the anion.
Mix them back up(or keep separated) and run ro thru it to"wash" or the chemicals.

I'm on a well with 48ish TDS and constantly recharge the anion for co2. I can get about 150/200 gallons between charges.
My cation and mixed bed are probably 2 years old and still fresh.
I've considered keeping my resin separate because it is a bit of a pita to separate the mixed bed. I've always heard that mixed beds were better though, so I mix it back up.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered keeping my resin separate because it is a bit of a pita to separate the mixed bed. I've always heard that mixed beds were better though, so I mix it back up.
Yes.
I bought the BRS resin saver pack. Cation-anion-mixed bed. So much easier to just do the anion. I got it down to about 45 minutes to recharge and pack it back up.

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Update. Tom checked TDS, tap out of softner, 395, out of R/O 385. After talking again with BRS, he thinks it’s the refills for their 75 GPH unit were bad. Of course they needed pic confirmation, but I think Tom’s right. Also, now trying to convince him to check out whole house filtration as Vetteguy,
One of our “Trusted resource “ said he runs on his well. We can get mixed water for &1.25 at LFS but top-off?????
Thanks so much for discussing this!
Debra

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Update. Tom checked TDS, tap out of softner, 395, out of R/O 385. After talking again with BRS, he thinks it’s the refills for their 75 GPH unit were bad. Of course they needed pic confirmation, but I think Tom’s right. Also, now trying to convince him to check out whole house filtration as Vetteguy,
One of our “Trusted resource “ said he runs on his well. We can get mixed water for &1.25 at LFS but top-off?????
Thanks so much for discussing this!
Debra
Sounds like the membrane tbh. Either pressure is not good or membrane has gone bad. Shouldnt be that high out of the membrane.

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update again on well water!
Well, thank you to Mark Levenson at Meleves Reef. Apparently the original (20 yrs +) maker of R/O DI
Is possibly the solution. Tom got fed up w/pics and so on with BRS about there system, we bought used with the 125g tank and called Mark, 2 hours later all packaged and ready to pick up Tom’s on his way home, thanks again Mark! It’s hooked up and so far TDS 0 and ready to test! I’ll get back with results because it might help others with tricky well water issues, Can’t remember what he paid, I’ll report back, but price was inline with others ‘cause Tom’s a little cheap lol
Debra
Mark’s YouTube and web site:
Melevereef
Video every Saturday new
The man I found on YouTube yrs ago, found out local and decided when my beloved Tangs get to big, I’d ask, beg him to re-home as I couldn’t trust selling I did introduce him to them as he was here, our house last year lol helping with our high phosphates

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update again on well water!
Well, thank you to Mark Levenson at Meleves Reef. Apparently the original (20 yrs +) maker of R/O DI
Is possibly the solution. Tom got fed up w/pics and so on with BRS about there system, we bought used with the 125g tank and called Mark, 2 hours later all packaged and ready to pick up Tom’s on his way home, thanks again Mark! It’s hooked up and so far TDS 0 and ready to test! I’ll get back with results because it might help others with tricky well water issues, Can’t remember what he paid, I’ll report back, but price was inline with others ‘cause Tom’s a little cheap lol
Debra
Mark’s YouTube and web site:
Melevereef
Video every Saturday new
The man I found on YouTube yrs ago, found out local and decided when my beloved Tangs get to big, I’d ask, beg him to re-home as I couldn’t trust selling I did introduce him to them as he was here, our house last year lol helping with our high phosphates
I watch his channel all the time. I did not realize he made ro/di units I have been on his website too. Do you have a link to what you got?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back