Welp. My chromis are broken.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you may have seen, I had to tear down and rebuild my tank over the weekend due to a major leak. All of my fish and corals were emergency housed in a 10g for about 30 hours.

I got four blue/green black axil chromis last Thursday (4 days ago). I lost one to my HOB skimmer, and a second died the morning after being put in the 10g.

I got everything back in the 40g late last night and the two remaining chromis are acting like clownfish — bobbing in the rear corner with their two new besties, my snowflake clowns. Prior to the leak they were swimming all over, and it encouraged my more timid fish (I'm looking at you, orchid dottyback) to leave their caves and corners. Now everything is back to hugging the glass and hiding under rocks.

Additionally, one of the two remaining chromis is definitely less active than the other, and I won't be surprised if it doesn't make it through the day. :( Between not looking great and being bullied by the other chromis, which looks fine (even if it is pretending to be a clown), I'm sure this little fishy is about to meet the clearing at the end of its path.

Do you think my chromis are irrevocably broken, or will they (it) start swimming around the other 90% of the tank again?

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you may have seen, I had to tear down and rebuild my tank over the weekend due to a major leak. All of my fish and corals were emergency housed in a 10g for about 30 hours.

I got four blue/green black axil chromis last Thursday (4 days ago). I lost one to my HOB skimmer, and a second died the morning after being put in the 10g.

I got everything back in the 10g late last night and the two remaining chromis are acting like clownfish — bobbing on the rear corner with their two new besties, my snowflake clowns. Prior to the leak they were swimming all over, and it encouraged my more timid fish (I'm looking at you, orchid dottyback) to leave their caves and corners. Now everything is back to hugging the glass and hiding under rocks.

Additionally, one of the two remaining chromis is definitely less active than the other, and I won't be surprised if it doesn't make it through the day. :( Between not looking great and being bullied by the other chromis, which looks fine (even if it is pretending to be a clown), I'm sure this little fishy is about to meet the clearing at the end of its path.

Do you think my chromis are irrevocably broken, or will they (it) start swimming around the other 90% of the tank again?

Think after significant stress, you are seeking how quickly will happen BBA - Bounce Back Ability. Give them time to resettle and I think chromis will eventually swim around entire tank once is is over trauma of emergency leak repair and rehousing. Good for you doing all that work in 30 hours - WOW! You were on a salvation mission and had a plan.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think after significant stress, you are seeking how quickly will happen BBA - Bounce Back Ability. Give them time to resettle and I think chromis will eventually swim around entire tank once is is over trauma of emergency leak repair and rehousing. Good for you doing all that work in 30 hours - WOW! You were on a salvation mission and had a plan.
Good point. I'm definitely stressing about the stress on the fish. I don't think I've left that manic, omg, fix it now state.

I hope they go back to normal (and both survive).

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed!!
I Hope Please GIF

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just tripping out, give them tasty things to reduce PTSD.

After trying/failing to remove my Midas blenny for inspection/ med dip weeks ago (ended up just being a scratch and some sand, not velvet and uronema)
He is just now starting to not hate my guts and hide when I come by, he has since claimed a new rock and nipped my wrasse for getting too close.

People who say fish have no memories are idiots, and some fish are downright intelligent.

My clowns are attempting to break my other fish, the others just watch them gyrate in the corner and ask "what the heck is that? Should we be doing that too?"

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just tripping out, give them tasty things to reduce PTSD.

After trying/failing to remove my Midas blenny for inspection/ med dip weeks ago (ended up just being a scratch and some sand, not velvet and uronema)
He is just now starting to not hate my guts and hide when I come by, he has since claimed a new rock and nipped my wrasse for getting too close.

People who say fish have no memories are idiots, and some fish are downright intelligent.

My clowns are attempting to break my other fish, the others just watch them gyrate in the corner and ask "what the heck is that? Should we be doing that too?"
I do a pretty impressive clownfish shimmy. I get why your other fish want to join in. :D

I gave them a bit of frozen tasties, and put up a sheet of nori, which they're both excited and confused about.
FC45A263-A236-4CC3-83AF-8F190832C39A.jpeg

My clowns actually just came out and are hanging in the opposite corner. Sick of sharing, or being good examples? :p
335C1E6C-8873-444D-A74E-667F2E00C794.jpeg

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got everything back in the 40g late last night and the two remaining chromis are acting like clownfish — bobbing in the rear corner with their two new besties, my snowflake clowns. Prior to the leak they were swimming all over, and it encouraged my more timid fish (I'm looking at you, orchid dottyback) to leave their caves and corners. Now everything is back to hugging the glass and hiding under rocks.

2 Years ago I came home to my blue chromis almost stuck to the floor. Jumped out. I put him back. He swam end over end for a week. It's was both sad and hilarious. I still have him. He's missing scales from a large pistol shrimp encounter. Lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back