Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pentair 40watt smart uv for sale
Used 1.5 yrs, bulb replaced in June, works great!
$300
39BE1096-546E-40E0-A910-3DE3F4F52181.jpeg

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
27 more days until fallow period is complete!!!

and Just when I thought the Rubbermaid holding trough was on cruise control...bacteria troubles.
7ED6E542-1D17-4DC1-BEA8-133413BDB064.jpeg
5BE6D0D3-89FC-4328-A0DF-74999D9E7B7E.jpeg
E8CB4BC6-0EF5-4217-A482-C348490BB145.jpeg

Very frustrating.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought these two may be susceptible, but look good.
F7480D1F-69DA-4EB8-9926-38DEEA28EF12.jpeg
5556959B-92EA-437C-B11C-E4BB885A18FD.jpeg

Hawks, pearlies, wrasses, clowns, anthias, high hat, CBB and gramma looking clear.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? How are the fish doing? Is the tank looking ok fallow? Must be getting close.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? How are the fish doing? Is the tank looking ok fallow? Must be getting close.
15 more days till fish go in.
Gotta love Metroplex and Kanaplex, works every time! All fish infection free...today. I just love my fish, especially the CBB and Emp.

The tank needs fish, especially the wrasses for random pests and tangs for algae.
The system is just too darn immature! It's got all the bells and whistles going with cyano, gha, diatoms/dinos and even a sprout of bryopsis. I am doing water changes with nsw and red sea, vacuuming sand and turkey basting, scrubbing and plucking, dosing to keep nitrates & phosphates from bottoming, adding phyto and pods, trying to keep the fuge productive..it just needs to grow up and act like an adult. haha
I know this is just a phase, but I am cooking for 35 people on Thanksgiving so the tank needs to look Good! You know how folks cluster around a reef tank.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love Metroplex and Kanaplex, works every time! All fish infection free...today. I just love my fish, especially the CBB and Emp.

The tank needs fish, especially the wrasses for random pests and tangs for algae.
The system is just too darn immature! It's got all the bells and whistles going with cyano, gha, diatoms/dinos and even a sprout of bryopsis. I am doing water changes with nsw and red sea, vacuuming sand and turkey basting, scrubbing and plucking, dosing to keep nitrates & phosphates from bottoming, adding phyto and pods, trying to keep the fuge productive..it just needs to grow up and act like an adult. haha
I know this is just a phase, but I am cooking for 35 people on Thanksgiving so the tank needs to look Good! You know how folks cluster around a reef tank.

Defiantly need to be able to show off the tank! Good luck with the clean up on the reef and the cooking!

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Once I got the fish back into the tank, they really cleaned things up. It’s amazing how much of a difference they can make. I’m confident things will look better by Thanksgiving. 35 guests?! I’ve had 25 before and it felt like a very crazy night. Good luck!

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I see a spectacular sight in the water column of the fallow tank, PODS!!!

There are so many it looks like a snow globe. I did not realize they Take to the water column, only have rarely seen them on the glass.
These seemed to hang out of sight either until lights start dimming or I just dosed phyto.
I turned off the uv and going to pull off the socks...at least till they settle back down.

oh the fish are going to love this!

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I see a spectacular sight in the water column of the fallow tank, PODS!!!

There are so many it looks like a snow globe. I did not realize they Take to the water column, only have rarely seen them on the glass.
These seemed to hang out of sight either until lights start dimming or I just dosed phyto.
I turned off the uv and going to pull off the socks...at least till they settle back down.

oh the fish are going to love this!
Have you considered a mandarin before?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the trick with keeping a pod population high is feeding phyto?
I never fed phyto and I had a good population (I guess). Never saw them. I think I’m your size tank, and all the pods you see, a dragonet would probably be fine.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gablami and @rds85

What would you do?
I’ve always had a nem or few in the DT (either bta or lta) and pondering what options would work in this new set up. I considered a Magnifica or gigantea early on, but thought a mag would take too much coral real estate and the gig may be a threat to pearlies, idk. I don’t like the splitting/walking nature of btas and ltas don’t offer color eye candy. Haha, a real conundrum.

I have a rbta in the fuge...clone from my first nem, which I was planning to keep in fuge.

The 280 is packed already with a DT footprint of 30” x 58”.

Another option is to forget a DT nem and the McCullochi pair will probably take over my torch colony. Now that’s another story, the McCullochis are probably going to become more aggressive.
aaHhh...

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gablami and @rds85

What would you do?
I’ve always had a nem or few in the DT (either bta or lta) and pondering what options would work in this new set up. I considered a Magnifica or gigantea early on, but thought a mag would take too much coral real estate and the gig may be a threat to pearlies, idk. I don’t like the splitting/walking nature of btas and ltas don’t offer color eye candy. Haha, a real conundrum.

I have a rbta in the fuge...clone from my first nem, which I was planning to keep in fuge.

Another option is to forget a DT nem and the McCullochi pair will probably take over my torch colony. Now that’s another story, the McCullochis are probably going to become more aggressive.
aaHhh...
Sounds like you’ve pretty much got it figured out. Can’t disagree with any of your points. The key that sticks out to me is that your DT is already “packed.” For me that takes away RBA (splitting) mag or gig. But even though the colors are drab, a LTA or sebae might be nice on the sand bed if you really want a nem. On the other hand, new tanks are for new things. Go nemless! Will give you lots more room to try other things, like maybe NPS corals?

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’ve pretty much got it figured out. Can’t disagree with any of your points. The key that sticks out to me is that your DT is already “packed.” For me that takes away RBA (splitting) mag or gig. But even though the colors are drab, a LTA or sebae might be nice on the sand bed if you really want a nem. On the other hand, new tanks are for new things. Go nemless! Will give you lots more room to try other things, like maybe NPS corals?
Alright, yes, nemless DT is probably a wise choice. Thanks for your thoughts.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gablami and @rds85

What would you do?

aaHhh...

I am agree with @Gablami. If you are already packed, go nemless for now. If something changes you can re evaluate the situation. I have a RBTA in my DT and can't wait for it to move so I can remove it.. I am not jam packed so there is no current risk of anything, but when the opportunity arises. It will be removed. I really like the idea Gabe had of NPS. You can utilize the shaded under side of rocks for them, just have to remember to feed them a fair amount.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back