Went into a chain saltwater store

Although hilarious, this kind of terrible advice really hurts the hobby and damages the reputation that so many are working hard to change. This is exactly why I cant watch certain aquarium-related television shows.

I actually posted a thread about the show you're referring too.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Now here's a stupid question from a very new reefer, reading this you would probably think I would be the one customer in that store to believe what they say... Lol
Do you really have to change live rock? If you really do, that's news to me..
Please don't think I'm completely dumb, I learn something new every day!!! Lol


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Live rock only needs to be changed if something goes terribly wrong, i.e. it becomes poisoned with heavy metals or excessively saturated with phosphates. These circumstances are avoidable by all but the most careless reefer.
 
Lol no you don't have to lol but if you got te money to at that price just get out now while you still have it haha.

We have a couple business here they they think they are all knowing its kinda funny lol


Now here's a stupid question from a very new reefer, reading this you would probably think I would be the one customer in that store to believe what they say... Lol
Do you really have to change live rock? If you really do, that's news to me..
Please don't think I'm completely dumb, I learn something new every day!!! Lol


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP




-Alex-
 
I have been to the store you are talking about. its the one with the huge frogspawn or hammer in the back right? I tried to get them to make me a frag of an acro they had in that tank and the guy says sorry its not big enough to frag yet. hmmmm didnt know you had to wait to frag a 16" acro colony lol

but i heard the same thing about live rock from one of our local stores:target:

bob
 
I have been to the store you are talking about. its the one with the huge frogspawn or hammer in the back right? I tried to get them to make me a frag of an acro they had in that tank and the guy says sorry its not big enough to frag yet. hmmmm didnt know you had to wait to frag a 16" acro colony lol

but i heard the same thing about live rock from one of our local stores:target:

bob

Haha everyone who's been to columbus automaticity knows I'm referring to that store! Yes it is that one, they removed the frogspawn and fragged it up at 59.99 per branch in the large coral section. I wanted them to frag the frogspawn a while back and they said that it wasn't ready. A 15 year old frogspawn sounds ready to me haha. I actually bought a blue maxima clam at the most amazing fish store I've ever stepped foot in (also in columbus) for the price of a percula clown they were selling at the "frogspawn" store


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
last year i had to take a trip over to coloumbus for work and stopped at the loacl stores. and phisy was nice and grabbed a couple piecese but the other place had me laughing out the door
 
That's ridiculous!
 
Im not shy to point out bad advice to the manager or even a customer that is clearly getting taken advantage of. A couple times up here in Pa & NJ ive been in an aisle right next to a newbie girl with coral and a gentlemen with fish questions on their new tanks and the employees said they could place coral and the other time fish right after they mix their salt. My aquarium advice/ocd kicked in to save the animals they were just told they could buy. I used to work in an awesome shop down in orlando so i hate seeing how other stores treat their customers and livestock.
 
last year i had to take a trip over to coloumbus for work and stopped at the loacl stores. and phisy was nice and grabbed a couple piecese but the other place had me laughing out the door

Did you end up stopping by reef systems? It's a place that as a local I didn't even know about, I think the owner says that it's 17,000-22,000 gallons total, they have 100 ten gallon tanks with live rock and inverts. 4 235 gallons full of corals. 5 80 gallons full of sps. 6 2,000 gallon tanks with clams and anemones and mother colonies. 5 30 gallons with designer clowns, and every 235 has a 180 sump and the 80 gallons have 55 gallon sumps, the 2,000 gallon have 500 gallon rubber made tubs full of live rock for filtration.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Lol no you don't have to lol but if you got te money to at that price just get out now while you still have it haha.

We have a couple business here they they think they are all knowing its kinda funny lol







-Alex-

Oh no, I rather stay.. Lol.. That's why I ask lots og questions, before I believe something... Lol


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
It's never stupid to ask questions when you're getting started. I'd say that's very, very smart. : )


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.
 
$13/lb...every 6 months? Lets say I want a 100 gallon tank and I go to this Super Genius pet store. My goal is to have the tank for 10 years.

($13x100lbs)(10yrsX2)=$26,000

That is an incredible business plan. Is this pet store owned by Donald Trump?






"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon."
 
Buying from them it is probably recommended to copper your tank to avoid disease so sounds about right to replace the rock every 4-6 months.....
 
Is it against R2R to let people know what store it is? Also, what's the best store in Columbus that you have ever been in? I'm only asking because I visit Columbus often and would like to visit each place.
 
I would think it would be a benefit to the members to know what store to avoid. But by the sounds of it a experienced reefer would know as soon as one of the employees started talking.....


-Alex-
 
ok i will be the guy to spill the beans.

we are talking about the chain store Aquarium Adventure in Columbus. It is basically a bigger petco
 
I would think it would be a benefit to the members to know what store to avoid. But by the sounds of it a experienced reefer would know as soon as one of the employees started talking.....


-Alex-
As you could see everyone who lives in columbus automatically knew the store however haha.
Is it against R2R to let people know what store it is? Also, what's the best store in Columbus that you have ever been in? I'm only asking because I visit Columbus often and would like to visit each place.
It's not against it, however every local already knows. Did not consider non locals. It's aquarium adventure. The best fish/anemone wise is phisy business. The best coral is at reef systems. Phisy is a small store with plenty of fish and corals. Reef systems is on a country road, next to a house. You pull in his drive way and there's a good size building with a 900 gallon display. 75-100 ten gallon tanks with fish and rock, algae, and crabs a d shrimp. A normal fish store display rack with fish. 2 235 gallon tanks full of coral, 5 80 gallon full of corals , and my favorite 6 2,000 gallon tanks full of clams and giant corals in the greenhouse. Everything is priced to sell.




Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new