Western NY Reefers

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this thread by chance... Figured I'd bring it back to life! Newer reefer here in Webster, NY just east of Rochester. I have actually only been here for a year. I lived outside Philadelphia my whole life until work brought my wife and I up to the snow belt, which happens to be a great place for reefing! Maybe it's the long winters driving us into the hobby. I have been in the hobby my whole life but it' been all fresh water and planted tanks until a few months ago. I bought a second hand 90 gallon tank that I've set up as a reef tank and I'm totally addicted. If I only had endless income! Anyhow, I'm glad to know the there are other Western NY reefers out there...

I'm in Webster NY too! Just got started. Well re-started. Took a break for about 7 years but thanks to Corona Virus boredom I figured what a great time to set up a tank again! Still cycling but should be ready to start stocking soon!

AJdiPota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this group on the site. Tonawanda transplant myself, been here since the end of September...feels like 2 weeks ago.

Victor, I found ARC recently, picked up a few things there. Some dry pukani, tonga branch ( they clearanced most of it out before the move which I missed), CUC, and for giggles a kupang damsel that unfortunately lasted 3 days. Didn't lose sleep over that one, as it was hamburger cheap and the rest of my fish suffered no ill effects.

Seems like nice and knowledgeable guys there, Ill be back.
I’m in the City of Tonawanda!

AJdiPota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Rochester but definitely down for trading sometime. I could even put up small colonies for trade if you are in to softies, but I have various other stuff too. I’ve also been toying with the idea of starting an oldschool, hobbyist only, western NY reefer club, with actual meet ups. Think anyone would be down for that? Everyone is so busy anymore so I’m not totally sure it would work... It would be an awesome way for us hobbyists to trade and maybe avoid some of the outrageous retail coral prices, plus we could get an up close look at each others setups.
98821242-DF8E-4D89-BFCA-EC1C773EB729.jpeg
I’d be interested. I used to be a member of WNYAS, back in the day

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm looking at returning to the hobby after a 30+ year hiatus. So much has changed, it's like going back to square one. As I get going, I'll post more info. Jim in Williamsville

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jim! My grandparents are from Springville and my Aunts live in Amherst and Orchard Park. I know the area. You got a sweet fish store out there by the airport! I'm thinking about taking a drive one of these days and checking it out, I haven't been there in a while. Welcome back to the Hobby man, that's a long hiatus! I was gone for eight and I thought that was a long time. So glad to be back myself!

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see more reefers near me looking forward to be able to swap frags or just learn ideas I'm not a tech person so I love to be able to learn budget ideas and tricks the cheaper and easier the better I'm a fan of KISS!!!

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help any of you guys. I taught myself a lot of stuff over the years and am a pretty good problem solver. Currently I'm working on a soda lime PH balance solution. Especially with the house being closed up for the sunmer AC and winter Heat. CO2 build up can cause low PH. I also dose and test a lot of things. I run Chaeto in my refugium and have two Mangroves with a grow light that runs opposite hours of my main display to help balance PH as well. I have an air driven skimmer that works great and all of this is on a 15 gallon nano tank! I plan on making a show tank with sick corals that I will buy and grow from frag so as they grow any of you local guys I'd be happy to trade with. Don't have anything yet as my tank has only been up and running for a few days shy of a month. But I am cycled and starting to stock now! Just realized I have a TON of copepods all over my tank

IMG_20200615_164733.jpg IMG_20200615_164803.jpg IMG_20200613_123351.jpg 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200613135611044.jpg 15922542039178019981497122020122.jpg

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help any of you guys. I taught myself a lot of stuff over the years and am a pretty good problem solver. Currently I'm working on a soda lime PH balance solution. Especially with the house being closed up for the sunmer AC and winter Heat. CO2 build up can cause low PH. I also dose and test a lot of things. I run Chaeto in my refugium and have two Mangroves with a grow light that runs opposite hours of my main display to help balance PH as well. I have an air driven skimmer that works great and all of this is on a 15 gallon nano tank! I plan on making a show tank with sick corals that I will buy and grow from frag so as they grow any of you local guys I'd be happy to trade with. Don't have anything yet as my tank has only been up and running for a few days shy of a month. But I am cycled and starting to stock now! Just realized I have a TON of copepods all over my tank

IMG_20200615_164733.jpg IMG_20200615_164803.jpg IMG_20200613_123351.jpg 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200613135611044.jpg 15922542039178019981497122020122.jpg

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jim! My grandparents are from Springville and my Aunts live in Amherst and Orchard Park. I know the area. You got a sweet fish store out there by the airport! I'm thinking about taking a drive one of these days and checking it out, I haven't been there in a while. Welcome back to the Hobby man, that's a long hiatus! I was gone for eight and I thought that was a long time. So glad to be back myself!
Thanks! I went over to the LFS by the airport on Friday. Met some people and got a lot of helpful information. I'm really trying to get my ducks in a row so I can do a successful launch.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I went over to the LFS by the airport on Friday. Met some people and got a lot of helpful information. I'm really trying to get my ducks in a row so I can do a successful launch.
Ha that's funny I I am literally on my way back from A Reef Creation now! Picked up a couple really sweet Frags! Dude if you ever have any questions fire away. I'm more than happy to help. I've got my tank up and running in a month and my parameters are next to near perfect. I already have a thriving population of copepods and and starting to fill my tank with show pieces.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's everyone's tanks and one up to swap frags yet
I may be soon! Getting back from Vacation today so I gotta see how everything look but I'll hit you back up in a couple days! Also picking up a coral box from a huge store in Fairfax VA so if I get doubles of anything I'll be sure to have something to trade!

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some bubble tip nems for sale. I’m in williamsville so local pick up only. $15 each. Let me know if anyone wants one before I move. Thanks!

337D0FD8-D88E-4673-A6D4-1D302AB4D8FC.jpeg EA8B501E-3A01-442B-B65B-A2D941829CBC.jpeg 593DD441-1D54-4FA0-B232-29955A34EEB0.jpeg

AJdiPota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I just found this group and thought i'd resurrect this thread.
I'm in Cheektowaga, always looking for new stuff to fill in the Reefer Nano. Also thinking about a frag tank setup (don't tell my wife)
ARC is an awesome shop.

Anyone have anything they are looking to sell??
20181027_130613 (002).jpg
What is this ARC? Is it a LFS? Where is it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back