OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my wife and I am in the "walk, don't run" mode but we definitely want a yellow tang at some point (she loves them), not sure how soon.

The Gladiators we saw are very young and should pair well together if we get them soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 250 will be my next tank (after we buy a bigger house), they are the perfect size. I love your setup, I almost got the Nero pump, but had an MP10 from an old tank so I couldn't really justify it.

I have been following your Max Nano build thread and the MP10 is perfectly fine for that tank so I agree that there is no need to spend your money on the Nero 5.
I love the overall appearance of the Reefer 250 (especially with the white cabinet), frankly if I had more space in my living room I would have considered the Reefer 350.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on a Yellow Tang too. A captive bred one, less likely to outgrow the tank.

FYI, I was over at my LFS this week and they warned me about the yellow tang as they said that even a captive grown one will eventually grow too large for the tank. :(

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I was over at my LFS this week and they warned me about the yellow tang as they said that even a captive grown one will eventually grow too large for the tank. :(
Actually if they are said to outgrow the tank then I better not get one even if I rehome when it's too big. Catching any fish in a 54 gallon display is a pain.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now added the Red Sea RSK-300 skimmer to the sump. It was sitting a little a little too low in the water so one of the guys at my LFS made me a stand out of eggcrate and used pvc pipe for the legs to raise it a little.

IMG_0197.jpeg

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a setback about 3 weeks ago and due to an ammonia spike we lost the blue-green chromis and the Kupang damsel.

After 2 water changes everything is back to normal and we added 2 beautiful ORA Gladiators last Friday, my wife has named them Bonnie and Clyde. :)

IMG_0177-1.jpeg IMG_0164-1.jpeg

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Westside Guy What's it like taking the collection cup off the REEFER skimmer? I've read it's really difficult.

I have only tried it once and it was tight. However I read a post in another R&R thread about the RS skimmer yesterday where the poster used a O ring lubricant that either BRS or MD sells for this purpose and it worked. ;)

Brent Behringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now added the Red Sea RSK-300 skimmer to the sump. It was sitting a little a little too low in the water so one of the guys at my LFS made me a stand out of eggcrate and used pvc pipe for the legs to raise it a little.

IMG_0197.jpeg
I just bought this skimmer for my reefer 250 v3 sump. How are you liking it so far? Also how high did you have to raise it with the egg crate stand mod?

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this skimmer for my reefer 250 v3 sump. How are you liking it so far? Also how high did you have to raise it with the egg crate stand mod?

I originally had a shelf that raised the skimmer about 3/4 " from the bottom of the sump but now after reading some other threads from people with the Reefer 250 and the RSK-300 I lowered the height of the gate and was able to remove the shelf. Right now the water level is near the top of the red marker on the adjustment pole and it is working ok.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back