What’s crawling on my acro?

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had the greatest PE lately and i just noticed these fast moving things on my acros. Any idea what these could be or how to get rid of them?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like "White Bugs" They are a parasitic pod. You can get rid of them by dosing Interceptor. 1 - 23MG pill per 100 gallons for red bugs. White bugs usually require a higher dose of about 3 pill per 100 gallons.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like "White Bugs" They are a parasitic pod. You can get rid of them by dosing Interceptor. 1 - 23MG pill per 100 gallons for red bugs. White bugs usually require a higher dose of about 3 pill per 100 gallons.
Is this a onetime dosing? I've never used that stuff before.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing good moves around on live acro flesh (which that looks to be). Agree Interceptor is the way forward. If you have a large dog, it will be easy to procure. Otherwise, it can be a challenge.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing good moves around on live acro flesh (which that looks to be). Agree Interceptor is the way forward. If you have a large dog, it will be easy to procure. Otherwise, it can be a challenge.
Genuinely curious, what is it about live acro flesh that would stop "good" things like amphipods from skirting over the coral?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genuinely curious, what is it about live acro flesh that would stop "good" things like amphipods from skirting over the coral?
Actually a good question. All the stickheads say it. Part of it is just experience. The rest I guess is reasoning.

Pods are fairly reclusive as they are ready prey for fish and shrimp. Next, live flesh offers no potential food source for them, so why waste the energy and exposure risk for no nutritional reward?

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to order some from canadapetcare.com. What all can I expect this to kill? I've read it will kill crabs but what about a pencil urchin?

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
About to order some from canadapetcare.com. What all can I expect this to kill? I've read it will kill crabs but what about a pencil urchin?
I’ve bought off them before. It will come from Singapore or somewhere but it seems legit still and worked. Take the chews, grind them up, and dissolve into some super warm water.

It will kill off all pods, crabs, and shrimp in your tank. I do a 5x dose every 4-5 months just as a preventative and it has never killed my snails before. My corals actually always look better after a treatment. Could be the beef flavored chews feeding them. I never water change after a dose either. Just run some carbon and skim wet for a few days afterwards.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought off them before. It will come from Singapore or somewhere but it seems legit still and worked. Take the chews, grind them up, and dissolve into some super warm water.

It will kill off all pods, crabs, and shrimp in your tank. I do a 5x dose every 4-5 months just as a preventative and it has never killed my snails before. My corals actually always look better after a treatment. Could be the beef flavored chews feeding them. I never water change after a dose either. Just run some carbon and skim wet for a few days afterwards.
I wasn’t sure where it would be coming from.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you use the one with Prazi? I can't seem to find the one without it.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that I'm supposed to use Interceptor and not Interceptor Plus, it looks like Canada Pet Care sent me the Plus version because it contains Praziquantel. I didn't choose the Plus version when I bought it so I have no idea why they sent it. Is this still safe to use?

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've read that I'm supposed to use Interceptor and not Interceptor Plus, it looks like Canada Pet Care sent me the Plus version because it contains Praziquantel. I didn't choose the Plus version when I bought it so I have no idea why they sent it. Is this still safe to use?
It’s fine to use. I’ve done over 10x dose with those praxis beef chews and zero negative affect on the corals.

Remove crabs or shrimp you don’t wanna loose. Even at a 10x dose, never seen snails affected by it.

Soak them in warm RO water for an hour first. Then blend them up and pour into the tank. Keep the flow high. Remove filter socks, carbon, turn off UV, and take the lid off the skimmer. Just turn the skimmer up and let it overflow.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fine to use. I’ve done over 10x dose with those praxis beef chews and zero negative affect on the corals.

Soak them in warm RO water for an hour first. Then blend them up and pour into the tank. Keep the flow high. Remove filter socks, carbon, turn off UV, and take the lid off the skimmer. Just turn the skimmer up and let it overflow.
Ok. About to dose it now. Was expecting a small pill but these things are huge lol.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ve seen it recommend before to do water changes after but I just let it run through the system for 24 hours and put my skimmer cup back on. Then repeat once a week for 3 weeks.

You usually won’t see the pods die off until after 12 hours post dose. Might get a few stray ones but they will be moving very slow and die off eventually.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well do the chews dissolve? I have something crawling over my new torch that's in QT and I don't want to put any nasties in the DT.

I just took my dog to the vet and they were a no go on giving me any so I will probably have to order from Canada Pets if I need to.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back