What’s crawling on my acro?

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished 3 rounds of treatment (one week apart), I used the interceptor with the prazi. I no longer see the white bugs, pods are 100% gone, and I lost a few crabs I couldn't track down to pull. Everything else is fine. My conch did look a little iffy for the 24 hours after dosing, but always bounced back. I also am now dealing with an algae bloom that corresponded to treatment it seems. Perhaps, the beef flavoring, who knows.

I tried the exotic vet experience, but they wanted me to bring in the coral or do a site visit for $200 to make a "diagnosis" before being willing to provide the treatment. So decided to go the Canada route and dealt with the prazi...stuff took a few weeks to get in by mail, but it worked.

I will say, I am seeing a ton of local hobbyists with white bugs over the last 2-3 months. Its definitely going around.

What dosage did you end up using?

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problems with all the flavoring? Did you melt down the chews?
I had an algae outbreak, but may or may not have been related to the treatment/flavoring. I cut up the chews into small pieces then pounded/smashed them into dust/powder, then mixed up the powder with RODI water with one of those hand mixers/frothers. Worked pretty well. Then dosed half, waited 30 minutes, then added the other half. I found if I dosed all at once my LPS would get a little annoyed.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose one large dog chew of Sentinel yesterday for a 200g display. I boiled the chew in rodi to dissolve it. Not sure if that’s ok or not? I ran my skimmer with no cup, and only 300 micron nylon socks to catch dead stuff….. there was none. All of my pods are crawling around fine and my emerald crabs as well. I don’t see the white bugs crawling around on the acros but they are there, clinging on.
I did a 25% water change this morning, running a filter pad, and started skimming. Tank is clear and corals look normal. I’m going to try 2 or 3 chews on Sunday. I want to see some dead pods

The sump foamed up from running the skimmer with no cup + the reaction from then chew.

IMG_4970.jpeg

Last edited:

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose one large dog chew of Sentinel yesterday for a 200g display. I boiled the chew in rodi to dissolve it. Not sure if that’s ok or not? I ran my skimmer with no cup, and only 300 micron nylon socks to catch dead stuff….. there was none. All of my pods are crawling around fine and my emerald crabs as well. I don’t see the white bugs crawling around on the acros but they are there, clinging on.
I did a 25% water change this morning, running a filter pad, and started skimming. Tank is clear and corals look normal. I’m going to try 2 or 3 chews on Sunday. I want to see some dead pods

The sump foamed up from running the skimmer with no cup + the reaction from then chew.

IMG_4970.jpeg
Not sure if the boiling approach would impact treatment effectiveness or not. I know medications are often temperature sensitive. When you do the 2 or 3 chews and still don't observe pod death or white bug death, then the boiling may be impacting effectiveness.

My tank made it through 3 rounds of treatment...was definitely annoying and impacted stability IMO. Plus, I don't like having my pod population completely wiped out. As a result, I have a little PTSD about it all now and trying to figure out how I can add more sps frags. Is bayer our only option for a dip? I don't think Revive/Coral Rx will do the trick for white bugs, but could be wrong. Seems white bugs are so prevalent as of late, I hesitate adding any more corals at the moment.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if the boiling approach would impact treatment effectiveness or not. I know medications are often temperature sensitive. When you do the 2 or 3 chews and still don't observe pod death or white bug death, then the boiling may be impacting effectiveness.

My tank made it through 3 rounds of treatment...was definitely annoying and impacted stability IMO. Plus, I don't like having my pod population completely wiped out. As a result, I have a little PTSD about it all now and trying to figure out how I can add more sps frags. Is bayer our only option for a dip? I don't think Revive/Coral Rx will do the trick for white bugs, but could be wrong. Seems white bugs are so prevalent as of late, I hesitate adding any more corals at the moment.

I'll just crush it down this time just to be sure. My wife wasn't digging the smell of the boiled chew anyway lol. As far as I know bayer is our best option for dip. I make a cloudy white solution where I can see still see the frag and dip for 20 minutes. Kills the bugs. Kcl works better on flatworms IME and I wasn't overly concerned with bugs when I got some of these frags last year out of ignorance.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not but I can’t find my purple firefish or my royal gramma that i’ve had for years. I had an algae outbreak from this stuff and i can’t confirm it killed these fish but they did go missing after dosing.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 3x large dog sentinel chews in my 200g. I crushed them into a powder this time and shook it up in a container with tank water. This dose did the trick. Pods and remaining emerald crabs that I was wasn't able to catch are dead. Don't see white bugs on any pieces. The skimmer has been pulling way more than normal, probably the flavoring. I notice a slight brown residue on the rocks, glass bottom, and back wall. It's doesn't come off by blowing the way diatom does. Scraped off what I could, did a 25% WC and have a sack of carbon inside a filter sock. All SPS look fine. I do notice PH running .1 lower than normal. I'll clean and calibrate probe just incase it has a coating of the flavoring on it. I really need to find a good source for pure milbemycin.

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 3x large dog sentinel chews in my 200g. I crushed them into a powder this time and shook it up in a container with tank water. This dose did the trick. Pods and remaining emerald crabs that I was wasn't able to catch are dead. Don't see white bugs on any pieces. The skimmer has been pulling way more than normal, probably the flavoring. I notice a slight brown residue on the rocks, glass bottom, and back wall. It's doesn't come off by blowing the way diatom does. Scraped off what I could, did a 25% WC and have a sack of carbon inside a filter sock. All SPS look fine. I do notice PH running .1 lower than normal. I'll clean and calibrate probe just incase it has a coating of the flavoring on it. I really need to find a good source for pure milbemycin.
My pH did the same thing, alk jumped slightly too as consumption slowed for a day or two, so keep an eye on that. You doing 3 full rounds? It definitely disrupts the tanks cruise control…

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not but I can’t find my purple firefish or my royal gramma that i’ve had for years. I had an algae outbreak from this stuff and i can’t confirm it killed these fish but they did go missing after dosing.
Sorry to hear! Some say due to the die off after dosing the interceptor a spike in nutrients may occur, I didn’t bother testing during the process but also experienced an algae outbreak…fortunately it’s been about a month since last treatment and algae is burning out and alk consumption is climbing again.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH did the same thing, alk jumped slightly too as consumption slowed for a day or two, so keep an eye on that. You doing 3 full rounds? It definitely disrupts the tanks cruise control…

Nah, I'm done with this crap. Too messy. I don't want to disrupt the balance in the tank further. Hopefully this 2nd dose took care of it. If I have to dose again in the future I am getting the pure stuff. This is too messy.

Attachments

• IMG_5027.jpeg
    IMG_5027.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 13

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I'm done with this crap. Too messy. I don't want to disrupt the balance in the tank further. Hopefully this 2nd dose took care of it. If I have to dose again in the future I am getting the pure stuff. This is too messy.
I think that’s the right call, it put my tank on pause for a good month…would be more tolerable if you could source the right stuff without the beef flavoring and prazi…

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conch started acting really odd by the third dose…was having seizures almost…eyes going in different directions…frozen and hardly moving…luckily he pulled through and his behavior normalized again…I did a super high dose and all that prazi may have impacted him.

IMG_7510.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back