What’s going on between RFA and nassarius snails ?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... this is an odd one. I haven't heard of nassarius snails eating anemones, but instead are considered scavengers.

How long have to had the RFA? Did it show any signs of health issues (deflating, not eating, etc.)? Did it have any damage on the foot or oral disk? I'm wondering if either the cleaner shrimp or snail was picking at an injury and then decided that they liked the taste, and made it into a meal. And once one started in, the other followed.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... this is an odd one. I haven't heard of nassarius snails eating anemones, but instead are considered scavengers.

How long have to had the RFA? Did it show any signs of health issues (deflating, not eating, etc.)? Did it have any damage on the foot or oral disk? I'm wondering if either the cleaner shrimp or snail was picking at an injury and then decided that they liked the taste, and made it into a meal. And once one started in, the other followed.
I’ve had them (I have 8) for 3 or 4 months. I’ve never really been able to make them eat. At least not regularly. They don’t close their polyps to grab the food. I’ve tried many different foods and they just don’t grab it most of the time.

6 of them seem to be doing well mostly. This one was also, before this happened. The 8th one (always the most expensive one) has been shrinking for a while and now had its foot in the sand.

Oh, and the shrimp is just looking for pellets I threw in the tank in the hopes that the snail would leave the RFA alone. I don’t think she did anything to it. I really saw one of the snails eating a piece of it though.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As scavengers, I would suspect the rfa was on its way out and they came to do their job. I could not see them as being predatory, but you never know stranger things have happened.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back