What’s going on??

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishless system? How often do you have to scrape algae off the glass? Are you dosing two parts? If so, what brand?

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have two fish. A coral beauty and a blue tang. They’re the only survivors of an ich/velvet outbreak. Went fallow for 80 days or so. I’m not dosing anything but Alk overnight

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I’ve been having to clean algae almost daily and I’m not sure the cause but I suspect a rock rescape a couple of months ago…not sure. Due to the algae I started dosing MicrōBacter 7 and MicrōBacter clean weekly

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have abundant coraline growing in the tank? This is a good indicator that your tank is mature enough for SPS.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s starting to cover my power heads pretty quickly but I’m not seeing any on the rocks or back wall. I used to have it growing on the back but my urchin ate it all. He’s gone now

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s starting to cover my power heads pretty quickly but I’m not seeing any on the rocks or back wall. I used to have it growing on the back but my urchin ate it all. He’s gone now
For what it's worth, I tried 2 SPS tester corals at 10 months and they didn't survive. After the one year mark my tank seemed to go through and evolution and become much more stable and predictable. I have 35 SPS corals in their now and only lost one due to shipping. Perhaps your tank just needs a little more time to be ready to sustain SPS corals.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps so. Maybe I need to stop spending money on sps for a while
Well overall your parameters light and flow seem to be in check but the RTN you describe is obviously troubling. Maybe just try an easy stylo or monti digi which are not expensive and see if you can grow them. I don't light acclimate anything. I just put them in where I think they will look good and thrive. Rent a par meter and check your numbers.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I dipped some in Red Sea Dip-X, and others in Bayer
For how long? Acros after shipping is already stressed. Too long of a dip can stress them out even more. Also improperly gluing them or handling them can stress them out. I have lots of acros in my tank and recently had one STN overnight after I keep gluing it because it kept falling off the rock. I should have let it settle first in the tank.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped them for 25-30 minutes and realize this may have been too long. I handle the frags with tongs and they went straight into a frag rack placed high in the aquarium so no gluing just yet

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped them for 25-30 minutes and realize this may have been too long. I handle the frags with tongs and they went straight into a frag rack placed high in the aquarium so no gluing just yet
I think that's the culprit. 30mins dip is way way too long. Next time buy from a trusted vendor like @FraghouseCorals or @Battlecorals and don't dip as long. I will admit I don't even dip when I buy from those two. Everyone else I dip for 10mins.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy from WWC and Zoanthids.com and I have never seen cleaner corals. I’d probably be ok not dipping any of theirs next time
Any quality vendor will recommend dipping their own corals.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like there is some mixed opinion on Dip-X and acros. I use Bayer myself.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked and mine are at 11”. Also 50% INT. My height explains the low PAR, which I had not though about before but would the corals bleach like that due to low PAR?
I wouldn't think they would bleach from lower par usually they start browning out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back