OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like there is some mixed opinion on Dip-X and acros. I use Bayer myself.

I’ll try Bayer next time as I’m out of Dip-X anyway. I think the only ones that got the Bayer dip this time were LPS. Hopefully we’re getting to the bottom of it.

I do have a Leptoseris that’s experiencing some STN and I’m trying to rehab. Maybe that’s the issue or maybe too low light. It’s at the bottom and I just realized yesterday that the PAR at the bottom of the tank is in the 50-70 range‍♂️ And I’m working on getting that increased

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lepto in low light may start fading color quite a bit, but it shouldn't stn.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy from WWC and Zoanthids.com and I have never seen cleaner corals. I’d probably be ok not dipping any of theirs next time
I have seen aiptasia, flatworms, and other pests from both places. Any vendor that sell a mix of corals have a higher chance of pests. FraghouseCorals only do acros. Less chance of pests since they aquaculture most of their stuff and they have to maintain pristine in house tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Age of tank and potential spikes and chemistry changes are biggest factor. Stability is a word you will hear repeatedly in this hobby and while your tank is getting there- not quite there for some acro and anemones.
What test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this maybe a problem.
The same thing happened when I put previous ones low in the aquarium.

Not sure if you read the thread but my PAR levels have been super low and were about 100-120 at the top

One of the current corals in question is a Garf Bonsai…is that you?

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of tank and potential spikes and chemistry changes are biggest factor. Stability is a word you will hear repeatedly in this hobby and while your tank is getting there- not quite there for some acro and anemones.
What test kits are you using ?
Things have been stable for quite some time. Anecdotally, I do have coralline and sponges proliferating.
I’m using Salifert for Ca, ALK and Mg. Hannah for NO3/PO4.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen aiptasia, flatworms, and other pests from both places. Any vendor that sell a mix of corals have a higher chance of pests. FraghouseCorals only do acros. Less chance of pests since they aquaculture most of their stuff and they have to maintain pristine in house tanks.
Didn’t know that, thanks for the additional info

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Things have been stable for quite some time. Anecdotally, I do have coralline and sponges proliferating.
I’m using Salifert for Ca, ALK and Mg. Hannah for NO3/PO4.
Great on test kits. There are other reasons sps go south and one is as simple as warm tank temperature and often overlooked but main ones are:
- Alkalinity spike
- Temperature spike
- Salinity spike
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Poor water quality related with phosphate levels up to 5 ppm
- Change in water flow
- Additions of sand
- Changes in brand of salt
- Bad test kits giving faulty results
- Levels of minor elements such as Iodine, Potassium, Strontium
- Light intensity
- - Changes in water flow
- Addition of new corals
- - Pesticides
- Airborne Contaminants or sprays

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! No freakin way! I’m on fraghouse corals website and see that they are in the town I grew up in in Texas! I saw their address and was like…I used to live on that road lol

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! No freakin way! I’m on fraghouse corals website and see that they are in the town I grew up in in Texas! I saw their address and was like…I used to live on that road lol
It's a sign =). They just finished their Halloween sale. Wait for their next sale. They have great acros at great price. Better than WWC and TSA and all the big names.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m too impatient, and at $14-$24 I ordered a few…well one was $51 but still.
Now I’m trying to decide whether I’m gonna dip in Bayer or maybe a FW dip, or dip in tank water to shake off anything that might be hanging on

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m too impatient, and at $14-$24 I ordered a few…well one was $51 but still.
Now I’m trying to decide whether I’m gonna dip in Bayer or maybe a FW dip, or dip in tank water to shake off anything that might be hanging on
You did use the 25% code right? Read the instructions when the frags arrive.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC specifically states not to dip right after shipping.
This is better for the health of the corals and therefore, better for WWC, but it is not necessarily better for the buyer in terms of pest prevention. Dipping upon receiving corals, shipped or not, is very common practice and highly recommended by most experienced reefers and vendors. Ideally, we would all have a coral QT system for lengthy observation sans chemicals, but that just isn't practical for coral.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is better for the health of the corals and therefore, better for WWC, but it is not necessarily better for the buyer in terms of pest prevention. Dipping upon receiving corals, shipped or not, is very common practice and highly recommended by most experienced reefers and vendors. Ideally, we would all have a coral QT system for lengthy observation sans chemicals, but that just isn't practical for coral.
Agree, however if WWC was consistently selling pest infected corals they would not be who they are. The frags I've gotten from them I just put into a small container and turkey baste them. If I see anything fall off that wiggles we'll then I would dip it. If not then into the tank. I've only lost one SPS frag out of 35 overnight in the tank and it was bleached in the shipping bag. I dip my LPS because there is much more area for pests to hide but it's hard to hide on an acro frag.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, however if WWC was consistently selling pest infected corals they would not be who they are. The frags I've gotten from them I just put into a small container and turkey baste them. If I see anything fall off that wiggles we'll then I would dip it. If not then into the tank. I've only lost one SPS frag out of 35 overnight in the tank and it was bleached in the shipping bag. I dip my LPS because there is much more area for pests to hide but it's hard to hide on an acro frag.
I always dip everything from WWC and have seen flatworms flat off along with other stuff. Also have to inspect the frags for aiptasia while they are still in bag. It is especially important to dip their acros and montis because not everything they sell is aquacultured. You never know when one shipment is infested. You can have 3-4 pristine shipments but it only takes one frag with aefw or monti eating nudi to completely destroy your tank. I love WWC and shop there online and indoor all the time. But they are not immune to pests. They are a huge operation and source corals from many places.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back