What’s the best pH raiser?

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a simple question can turn into something complex! I just wanted to know product recommendations.
You have a 20 gal tank. I think water change of 5 gal (good salt) every week is your best and simple answer. No need to complicate everything.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No comments on whether or not you should raise your pH (since I think only you can make that decision) but if you don't have a skimmer and you only want to adjust pH and not alkalinity here is a link (below) to how I made a CO2 scrubber without using a skimmer. If you have a place for an airpump and container for sodalime and you have somewhere you can put an airstone in your system, then this will could be a solution. This will only help if your pH is low because of ambient CO2 concentrations in your home, which I will argue is likely in most scenarios where someone's tank is in their house and don't have some kind of industrial grade ventilation system. Some people try to open the windows to see if this helps their pH but you need a lot of continuous airflow from the outside to equilibrate the CO2 concentrations with the outside air. The better way, in my opinion, to test if this is the issue is to take a large enough sample of your aquarium water and take it outside with some sort of aeration device like a bubbler or wavemaker to create a lot of surface agitation and let it sit for several hours maybe even 24 hours to see what the difference is in pH.

Luckily (or not so luckily) for me when I was thinking about how to raise my pH, my A/C broke and for a few days I kept all the windows and doors shut because it was just too hot outside in May/June in Alabama to have the windows open and I noticed a significant drop in pH to almost 7.6 until my a/c was fixed and within 24 hours of just having the A/C back on it went back up to 7.8 so I knew I could probably drive up the pH some more with a CO2 scrubber. When I designed this setup it was only going to cost me around $125 so I figured it was worth the try. You can see the improvement I had on my thread just after using it for a little while. I am currently still trying to dial it in so that I can optimize the efficiency of the sodalime usage and the range of pH I want. If the cost to build one exactly like I did is an issue, PM me and I can share some ideas for how to make a cheaper one along with some links to others who have rigged some stuff together.

Back