What’s the best wrasse

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several wrasses all of which were under 60 from liveaquaria. Yellow Coris, Neon, Melanurus, Christmas, and Checkerboard. The Checkerboard is by far my favorite. Constantly on the hunt, super active, healthy and very handsome when mature. Few things to keep in mind, first you'll need a lid. They are all jumpers. Lost a sea grass wrasse two weeks ago and I have a clearview lid. Also, you'll need to replace snails and crabs periodically. Every week I have a pile of shells in the front corner of the tank. Also keep in mind some of these guys grow large. I've had the checkerboard for 2 years. He was under an inch when I got him and now he's about 4 inches long.
hey mate, i am looking to add a juvi checkerboard/marble wrasse to my tank. stocklist in my sig. do they obliterate CuC? i only have 2 trochus snails and one fighting conch but was thinking of increasing their numbers with increase in fish numbers. i will be adding a mandarin, coral beauty and a moorish idol soon.

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey mate, i am looking to add a juvi checkerboard/marble wrasse to my tank. stocklist in my sig. do they obliterate CuC? i only have 2 trochus snails and one fighting conch but was thinking of increasing their numbers with increase in fish numbers. i will be adding a mandarin, coral beauty and a moorish idol soon.
The checkerboard was one of the first wrasses I added to the tank. At the time he was literally just 1 inch long. I've ordered most of my fish from liveaquaria which is a bit of a crap shoot because its sight unseen. Given the small size I thought for sure he was a goner. Went into the live rock and I didn't see him for a few weeks. The only fish he tends to clash with is the Christmas wrasse. I don't think you'll have any issues with the stock list, especially given the size of your tank which is probably another 50g larger than mine. As for CuC, good luck. The Checkerboard doesn't discriminate. Anything with a shell is fair game. I do have a large population of Trochus snails which reproduce constantly. I never have issues with algae on the glass or rocks. So I must have enough of a cleanup crew.

PXL_20210209_235121701.jpg

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The checkerboard was one of the first wrasses I added to the tank. At the time he was literally just 1 inch long. I've ordered most of my fish from liveaquaria which is a bit of a crap shoot because its sight unseen. Given the small size I thought for sure he was a goner. Went into the live rock and I didn't see him for a few weeks. The only fish he tends to clash with is the Christmas wrasse. I don't think you'll have any issues with the stock list, especially given the size of your tank which is probably another 50g larger than mine. As for CuC, good luck. The Checkerboard doesn't discriminate. Anything with a shell is fair game. I do have a large population of Trochus snails which reproduce constantly. I never have issues with algae on the glass or rocks. So I must have enough of a cleanup crew.

PXL_20210209_235121701.jpg
I'm curious about the marble/checkerboard wrasse as well - Have you had any issues with it covering your corals with sand? I had a melanurus that would cover anything on the bottom half of my tank while it looked for food, and I fed heavily twice a day so he definitely wasn't hungry lol. I know they're in the same family, so worry about it happening again if I got a marble/checkerboard wrasse.. But would love a pest control wrasse... any tips?

reefteaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorites, Carpenter, McKosker’s, Solorensis, and Possum, all great community fish.
No way would I ever get a Six Line again, what a terror!

JMann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d second the Possums and also add Leopards or Radiant wrasse if you’re able to acclimate something a little more difficult.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back