Puff, Puff, Build! Red Sea Reefer 250

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These little puffers pack a whole lot of persuasion!

I originally got into the hobby under my boyfriend's influence as I quickly bought myself a little 20g dropoff tank for my home office just a couple months after he got back into the hobby with his 110g mixed reef. I purchased my dropoff with a Leopard Toby Puffer as my "dream fish." Of course the pandemic had just hit which made these little guys even More rare... so I slowly started filling my tank with other eye catchers "in the meantime.

However, yesterday a LFS announced they had "a couple unknown pufferfish" and holy cow did I get giddy! They sent a couple of pics to me with their impression of them being white spotted puffers, but I immediately knew otherwise... I went to the LFS to see them in person to verify, and they indeed were a pair of Bennett's Toby Puffers! After reading up some more on them I learned that like other sharpnose toby puffers, they're a "best shot at reef compatible puffer fish" and actually stay in pairs in the wild - how cool! These little max-size of 4" puffers are actually quite active though, and came with a suggested 50g minimum setup compared to the Leopard Toby Puffer only a suggested 30g minimum.

So there I was, under no control of my own, paying up front for the pair of these puffers while hearing a little voice in my head "save us, save us, anyone else interested would only buy one of us and split us up and we'd die of depression..." The shop said they'd hold them for me, but of course can't be held responsibly if they passed in their possession..

So the impulse hunt began for their perfect new rescue home began. After some crammed research I found myself leaning towards the Red Sea Reefer 250 as a first option, JBJ rimless flat panel AIO 65g as a second option, and the Nuvo 50g AIO as a third option. My favorite LFS announced the Reefer 250 out of stock Everywhere, had the JBJ actually on display ready to go (it really is a pretty and pretty sweet setup), and can't remember now if they could find the Nuvo anywhere... but going through it with them I realized my heart really was set on the Reefer 250. Lucky for me I'm one of their "regulars" (still deciding if that's good or bad, ha), and they knew of a 6mo old professionally maintained Reefer 250 for sale everything included ready to go for a Great deal! So I swooped the bad boy up last night and the build begins this morning!!!!!

Many, many, pics and updates to come! In the meantime, enjoy the little puffs puffs that are solely responsible for this build

116338131_206730460763350_6636931083122989150_n.jpg
116230905_330172574681977_4495380964299676561_n.jpg
116027183_622278011737692_4373744789761272659_n.jpg
116134309_654213485305328_243443698233246948_n.jpg
116487765_1202780440073039_8253453168549343968_n.jpg
116290983_2540137749617919_892458522927555494_n.jpg

P.S. These little guys are NOT reef safe, so far
P.P.S. Apparently my emerald crab isn't a great influence on them as I watched him for the second time drag my lobo across the sand bed to the rocks to pick away at it...

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the sharp nose puffers some of my favorites! Have one myself personality of the tank! I'm surprised that your puffers haven't eaten the crab yet. I have a graveyard of snail and broken crab shells just adding to my substrate.

The two you have there are the Bennett's Sharpenose (Canthigaster bennetti)

Are you going for a fish only tank? No SPS sticks for you :)

OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the sharp nose puffers some of my favorites! Have one myself personality of the tank! I'm surprised that your puffers haven't eaten the crab yet. I have a graveyard of snail and broken crab shells just adding to my substrate.

The two you have there are the Bennett's Sharpenose (Canthigaster bennetti)

Are you going for a fish only tank? No SPS sticks for you :)

Yup! The LFS thought they're white spotted puffers (not sure how...), but as soon as I saw the gray top, white bottom, and hints of orange and blue from their quick pics I knew better that they're Bennett's and was stoked!

My crab is named Ghostface Killa... he lives up to the name, ha! I was surprised most that they're not bothering my fire shrimp, though the shrimp is bigger than them to be fair... And yeah, they've checked out snails but have overall left them alone so far! What do you have for a steady CUC with your puffer? Or just constantly restocking?

These guys left my very few SPS alone in my little tank... but went pretty quickly for the lobo, echinata, and favias I had in there. So within 5min had all my corals in my boyfriend's tank for safekeeping while their big tank gets set up with only my cristata torch, tiramisu monti, and nem left in my little tank with 'em.

Yup, new tank will be FOWLR. Being sharpnose puffers I had little hope of being able to do some coral still if they played nice, but they got rid of that hope pretty quickly. Which I'm fine with as now I can add a dwarf angelfish later on to the new tank with 'em without any regret/hesitations. :)

OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build update!

So two nights ago I snagged that sweet deal on the Reefer 250, and yesterday morning gave everything a solid cleaning and started the build and scaping ideas. Currently the sump just has to be added, add my aquascape that I Think I'm happy with, and then top off with water and get the cycle started!
116337589_618857189057118_5419826830903024935_n.jpg

I've noticed how people put random things in their new, empty tanks for size reference I'd assume... I thought of no better "object" than my Lil' Leo :)
116263098_288445185714714_4178366963963223254_n.jpg
116233465_646267915986928_2492675757850816855_n.jpg

He's a good lil' helper
116262767_713381652570322_8475497498691494456_n.jpg

OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a bit of a panic attack this morning... One of the puffers had some white raised bumps on the side of its belly - mind immediately went to OH FUDGESICKLE, ICH!

116340121_600984263948046_5275824966912258691_n.jpg

Then I realized it was grains of sand as it slowly fell off his belly... Derp.

Back to putting my scape and sump in :)

OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is in place and the cycle has begun as of last night! Took me the better part of yesterday to be happy with my scape... Nearly got my hands bleeding on those rock Only thing I think now is to maybe rotate the front right structure just a hair counter clockwise.... I left the back right open as my big comfy chair will be placed to the right of my tank. That way I can view a good chunk of the tank easily from that spot instead of just the back of huge rock structures and a strip of sand. I'm also really liking the idea of 3 mangroves on the right half of the tank to help balance the sight line with the taller structures on the left. Those should hold up in a FOWLR tank, yeah??

116407967_750984925705945_7729012879706604318_n.jpg 116049878_729027411256302_6173432650697185372_n.jpg

OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have all the time to sit and wait for this beast to cycle, time to further overthink my stocking list! ;Bookworm

Stocking List Ideas thus far:
  • 2 Bennett's Toby Puffers - obviously...
  • 1 Lemon Peel Dwarf Angel - love angels and love the colors on this one (or a multicolor one, it looks so cute and sleepy haha)
  • 1 Spotted Mandarin - well, maybe a pair..
  • 1 Wrasse - still deciding which, but definitely want some blue on it (I think I'd have to just see the right one in person, make sure it wouldn't get too big for this tank, and act from there)
  • 1 Lionfish - this would make the boyfriend super happy, especially if I keep the hogfish below in his tank. I like the Antennata or Mombasa options per a quick browse on LiveAquaria

Possible re-homings from current tanks:
  • 1 Bicolor Blenny - mostly because he killed my lepto in my mixed reef, though have to make sure my stocking list is down-pat and nothing would eat him before I throw in the new tank
  • 1 Lyretail Hogfish - another fish I already impulse bought and is currently in my boyfriend's 110g. Though I'm really leaning towards leaving this guy in his tank, especially if we can get his cleaner shrimp out. The hogfish is on his best behavior in there, and is already fairly large and Loving the extra swimming room.
4-5 small fish & 2-3 medium to large fish sounds like maybe too much... But not a bad starting place for seeing what comes available first out of the lot. Also, to start, I'm really going to TRY to keep this new tank with Just the puffers and CUC for quite some time. They're really keen on each other in their current holding tank, so I'm super curious if I can make them happy enough to perform some mating rituals... Now, I'm no expert in this hobby, not even Close, so I don't have high expectations of this happening as it's rare to begin with. But, hey, worth a shot right!?

CUC:
  • 1 Long Spine Urchin - figure that would be hardy enough against the fish in the DT
  • 3 Mangroves - some filter feeding action in the DT
  • Refugium - So these toby puffers Really dig macro algae. I was originally thinking some macros in the tank, but doesn't sound like it would last more than a day or two with the puffers. So I think this tank would be perfect for a refugium, and can maybe throw some more typical CUC members in there? Of course this would also best for the dragonet(s) to host copepods as well.

Treecop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in getting a Red Sea reefer 250. How was their customer service? I’ve heard others post about quality control and customer service issues.

OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in getting a Red Sea reefer 250. How was their customer service? I’ve heard others post about quality control and customer service issues.

I was lucky enough to find this beaut barely used, so I can't speak to Red Sea's customer service. Though if I were to buy new I would go through my favorite local fish store as they have a contract with Red Sea. That way I deal with the LFS for customer service and not the big brand - I find that works out better when purchasing anything really. I'd also add that anyone I talk to says Red Sea is just outright the best when it comes to quality (and at the end of the day comes out cheaper than the competition)... so I don't know if that would help against possible customer service temporary headaches. Another note, the LFS told me the Reefer 250 was sold out everywhere as of a couple of days ago when I checked with them, so that would require a lot of patience on the buyer's end especially with Covid playing a huge factor in production still.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get a top on that tank ASAP before you lose that catfish!

No lid will hold this wild beast.. He can't be contained!!!! :eek:

I am actually going to the LFS today though to pickup a screen kit. The tank came with one, but it didn't really fit the tank the best. Also going to see how likely it is they could get a banded longspine urchin for me when I'm ready for one. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anddddddd on the second day of cycling Dr. Tims gave to meeeee:

8 pH
1 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
and 0 Nitratessss

116584735_294578051657814_8848873918563042977_n.jpg

Sorry, not sorry - I'm super bored and need work to pick back up!
More FTS:
116889948_207815010667102_7575367830092071723_n.jpg

116801316_282897746140104_3246796934289506717_n.jpg

116545386_645288806088222_2122710965790532240_n.jpg

OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reallyyyyyyyy hoping these little guys just have a LOT of personality right now... ;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting

Yesterday afternoon I noticed one of the puffers just laying around which is out of the norm during the day for these two. She (just assigning that to her, no way of really telling at least for now) still had good reactions though as I did a quick water change a few hours later. Still a little curious of the siphon, but moved effortlessly out of the way when she was ready to. I checked parameters post-water change and salinity 1.025, pH is 8, ammonia and nitrite & nitrates each 0. She ate breakfast and lunch normally, didn't care much about dinner (though still looked full as did the "male" as I'm feeding the tank very hardily with frozen mysis brine shrimp for breakfast and dinner and flakes for lunch, and so far just had one half clam on Monday).

I tried my best after staring for so long to give them space. Figured she may be stressed/depressed in this little holding tank - though she easily found caves to hide in and open sand bed and no one was nor is picking on her including the other puffer. I know this is not the optimal tank for these puffers, but I wouldn't guess that holding them in there when they're not even at half their full size yet with some other smaller fish that it would be too much for a week, let alone it only being half a week so far??? Also in the night I swore I saw some labored breathing when she's laying down you could kind of see her face bob with her breathing though her mouth wasn't gasping.

I had a target mandarin pass this way - though I could tell in hindsight I got him really skinny as it was and thinking that's why he didn't make it since my parameters were stable then too (same as listed above) and didn't see any signs of parasites. The target mandarin literally did the same thing as the puffer, just stopped eating for half a day, labored breathing (thought with the mandarin I could tell it was for sure labored as I saw its mouth gasping as well, and the mandarin was not responsive when I tried putting tongs next to it, just stayed put as if too weak to react/move) and it was gone within 24 hours..

I'm desperately hoping I see both puffers when the tank wakes up this morning. I could only locate the supposed male before I went to bed, and so far still only see him in the dark tank this morning. Figures crossed for this little one, pretty please folks. I'd literally be heartbroken if I lost even one.. Especially after being so adamant I was "saving" these two by keeping them as a pair as they're found in the wild, only to end up with at best one if one passes... Would've been just as well to leave them alone at the shop and let them be bought separately. :( I think I say this at least once every other day - I'm too soft for this hobby, yet I can't stop myself from at least trying.

OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reallyyyyyyyy hoping these little guys just have a LOT of personality right now... ;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting

Yesterday afternoon I noticed one of the puffers just laying around which is out of the norm during the day for these two. She (just assigning that to her, no way of really telling at least for now) still had good reactions though as I did a quick water change a few hours later. Still a little curious of the siphon, but moved effortlessly out of the way when she was ready to. I checked parameters post-water change and salinity 1.025, pH is 8, ammonia and nitrite & nitrates each 0. She ate breakfast and lunch normally, didn't care much about dinner (though still looked full as did the "male" as I'm feeding the tank very hardily with frozen mysis brine shrimp for breakfast and dinner and flakes for lunch, and so far just had one half clam on Monday).

I tried my best after staring for so long to give them space. Figured she may be stressed/depressed in this little holding tank - though she easily found caves to hide in and open sand bed and no one was nor is picking on her including the other puffer. I know this is not the optimal tank for these puffers, but I wouldn't guess that holding them in there when they're not even at half their full size yet with some other smaller fish that it would be too much for a week, let alone it only being half a week so far??? Also in the night I swore I saw some labored breathing when she's laying down you could kind of see her face bob with her breathing though her mouth wasn't gasping.

I had a target mandarin pass this way - though I could tell in hindsight I got him really skinny as it was and thinking that's why he didn't make it since my parameters were stable then too (same as listed above) and didn't see any signs of parasites. The target mandarin literally did the same thing as the puffer, just stopped eating for half a day, labored breathing (thought with the mandarin I could tell it was for sure labored as I saw its mouth gasping as well, and the mandarin was not responsive when I tried putting tongs next to it, just stayed put as if too weak to react/move) and it was gone within 24 hours..

I'm desperately hoping I see both puffers when the tank wakes up this morning. I could only locate the supposed male before I went to bed, and so far still only see him in the dark tank this morning. Figures crossed for this little one, pretty please folks. I'd literally be heartbroken if I lost even one.. Especially after being so adamant I was "saving" these two by keeping them as a pair as they're found in the wild, only to end up with at best one if one passes... Would've been just as well to leave them alone at the shop and let them be bought separately. :( I think I say this at least once every other day - I'm too soft for this hobby, yet I can't stop myself from at least trying.

Of course as soon as I posted this I looked back in the tank and found her passed away... laying in the sand on her side not breathing. Heartbroken guys, freaking heartbroken.

Anyone have any clue what could've happened under these circumstances that would've caused her to go so young without any obvious diseases??? The boyfriend pulled her out for me, and she must've gone early in the night as her snout was already picked at a little by the CUC... Still couldn't see any signs of anything - no ich or velvet. The stomach looked as normal as the other puffer and both as the same as the day I got them... Help? Can't let the same thing happen to my other little puff. :(

OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the local fish store that I Normally go to and learned my puffer likely died from stress. Especially since the local fish store that I got these puffers from chased them with a net to bag them up... With the symptoms and lack there of and such a quick death, the experienced people there said for sure stress.

Hopefully my remaining puffer is more strong headed and willed, and will be extra happy in his new tank once it's finished cycling even without its mate... "I'm too soft."

OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the water of the Reefer 250 again today and parameters were the exact same... Feeling antsy after the puffer death I went to another fish store that carried Fritz Turbo Start and dumped that in there... Hopefully the extra bacteria will help get this cycle rolling and my remaining puffer in there faster. *Fingers Crossed*

OP
OP
P

PuffersMadeMeDoIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the water just for nitrites before bed to see how quickly Fritz can really work - already came to 0.25 nitrite, yay Fritz!!
Further progress from this morning's testing:
116568777_2677035732620537_5935674344962765596_n.jpg

My remaining puffer is hanging in there - "seems happy." He slept in the corner closest to me on my desk while I worked last night, cutest little thing... still feel so bad for his mate passing knowing I won't be able to get him another one as the risk would be too high not being able to tell their sex for sure. I was assuming the one that passed was a female and my remaining is a male.. I've come up with two options of names: Vinny or Fritz. I really like Vinny somehow for him, but we'll see which one sticks.

I have the option to pickup 3 red mangroves for free today, think I'll do it. Still only buds at the top and nowhere near long enough to plant in the tank. So would suspend them from the top by poking them through styrofoam and rest 'em in the corner so the styrofoam isn't floating in the water but on the edge of the glass. Everywhere I've read they help export nutrients, but not enough to urge a cycle along or anything like that. So we'll see how it goes since I did want to try some in this tank anyhow & ya can't beat free!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back