What’s the longest you’ve let your coral feed?

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0106.png

I spent all day tending to my tank, after cleaning, changing filter socks, and checking chemistry. I felt like feeding my coral which I never do. It tempt me today when I seen my scoly stick its feeders out full blown and felt this was the perfect time to feed mysis shrimp with a little reef roids.

Today my tank was very happy. I took a 2” cube of frozen mysis shrimp and fed the acantho’s coral twice. After the first feeding the feeders were still sticking out so I thought what the heck must be very hungry. Another 2” cube of mysis shrimp into the mouth. It’s been working on it for about 3 hours now. Majority of it has been eaten.
What’s our thoughts on leaving food in coral mouths over the 20 minute feeding time frame????

My tank has no fish by the way IMG_0104.jpeg IMG_0109.jpeg IMG_0107.jpeg

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a couple times a week. The only things that really look like they’re eating is my acans and favia. Acans get mysis and favia gets roids.

If I get around 1/2 an hour I turn on a powerhead for a few seconds. I feel like I’m suffocating the coral or something. I have no idea though and good to hear that I may be able to go longer.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get around 1/2 an hour I turn on a powerhead for a few seconds. I feel like I’m suffocating the coral or something. I have no idea though and good to hear that I may be able to go longer.
no worries there. Coral have a unique way of removing food and debris from the surface of its mouth by inflating, stretching out wide and releasing its mucus/slime coating allowing what ever to float away with it
Acantho just about done eating. Probably won’t feed it for another week. Just allow it to feed from the water column

IMG_0110.jpeg

And done!! Frog spawn has a little left in the mouth as well IMG_0113.jpeg IMG_0115.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back