Over Feeding???

Toastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings fellow reef enthusiasts,

I find myself contemplating the optimal feeding regimen for both our finned friends and the Clean-Up Crew (CUC). My quest for knowledge has led me to an array of resources, including extensive reading and countless YouTube videos.

It appears that there are divergent opinions on feeding schedules. Some suggest feeding only once every three days, while others advocate for up to three daily meals, eventually tapering down to just one. This variation in recommendations aims to prevent overfeeding, which can be a concern, particularly in a smaller nano tank, such as my 20-gallon setup.

I'm curious to know your perspective on this matter and what feeding frequency you find most suitable – be it daily, weekly, or three times a day. Here's my current approach for reference:

Currently, I feed my aquarium inhabitants twice daily. In the morning, before I head to work, I offer pellets designed to cater to both my clowns (floating) and the CUC (sinking). I provide just enough to ensure they consume everything. Upon my return home, I introduce frozen food, delivered in a targeted manner to ensure no leftovers. This is accompanied by a modest quantity of both floating and sinking pellets.

My tank houses the following inhabitants:
- 2 Designer Clownfish
- 1 Pepper Shrimp
- 3 Snails
- 1 Sand Shifting Starfish
- 2 Hermit Crabs

I'm also keen to know your preferred choice of frozen food for a nano tank. While I plan to focus more on coral care in the future, I remain dedicated to maintaining the well-being of my fish and CUC.

Let's delve into a thoughtful discussion on how to strike the right balance in feeding practices, ensuring both the health of our aquatic companions and the prosperity of our coral ecosystem.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed my fish, I feed my tank. My tank is a living thriving ecosystem, its not just a box where only fish and snails need to be fed.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a frozen cube of plankton or formula one once a day to my 29 gallon with two clowns and a sixline wrasse. I also have a pair of shrimp and various snails. Alternate days I feed pellets. Sometimes I add a tiny bit of reef roids to the frozen.

You have to match the input to the output. If I feed a lot and not export nutrients, I get algae.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally believe fish and corals take advantage of any meal they can get in the wild why not try and feed small amounts as often as possible obviously our filtration can’t allow continuous feeding but I try to feed twice a day and auto feed pellets 3 times during the day. Always smaller amounts unless my nitrates and phosphates are low then I do a bigger serving of diy seafood mix.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use frozen LRS food every day. As it "melts" the tiny particles will feed any corals and your CUC will find some leftovers. I personally would never use any dry foods such as flakes, freeze dried or pellets.

I also feed a couple of times a week live white worms or maybe some chopped clam.
Some of my fish are over 30 years old and still spawning so they seem nourished enough. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen food multiple times a day. The food blows all over so coral get fed. I guess the clean up crew gets food. They are there to clean up so I don't really pay them much attention.
I could never feed my fish just a few times a week. They are like pets and I take good care of my pets. I don't keep fish that only need fed every few days, lionfish and eels come to mind.
I'm guilty of giving my fish treats and use high quality pellets for that. My fish will see me sitting accross the room and swim in circles to get my attention. I'm a sucker and have fat fish to prove it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back