What’s up with SPS

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are a unique product. If you buy $150 shoes you’re not going home to brag about how amazing the shoelaces are to try and sell them for $150 on FB. Unfortunately this happens all the time with frags.

This is exactly what happens with shoes tho .

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we all agree the all blue, filtered and photoshopped pictures are complete BS and could be considered false advertising, and some of the prices for what you get are ridiculous. That’s where we as hobbyist need to do our research/homework and make educated decisions before purchasing.

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing is that you like how your corals look under blue light, and other that you are tricked by photoshoped, orange filter photos with tons of contrast and custom white balance...
Photoshop with custom whites but no filter.
20190927_224210.jpg

Normal light just passed by camera raw.

106A0213.jpg

Real reefing is about enjoying all spectres, and getting mad colors and great health and growth. Not just fake posing.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing is that you like how your corals look under blue light, and other that you are tricked by photoshoped, orange filter photos with tons of contrast and custom white balance...
Photoshop with custom whites but no filter.
20190927_224210.jpg

Normal light just passed by camera raw.

106A0213.jpg

Real reefing is about enjoying all spectres, and getting mad colors and great health and growth. Not just fake posing.
we're getting a little bit off topic, but in your example (nice acro, btw), if a vendor sold that acro with only that first pic, that's not really false advertising, that's just taken in a bluer spectrum. Unfortunately some noob reefer/upcoming acroholic will think that's how it's supposed to look ALL the time, and get upset when it doesn't look like that in full spectrum lighting. That's why seasoned reefers look at the whole pic and notice everything else is blue, so the flesh looks blue cuz of the light.

What is that, btw?

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a no named tenuis. Bought it Grey two years ago. But with patience and stability Grey duck turned into a beautiful swan.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many high and low end options in this hobby, just like any other. Just like some golfers join $100k clubs and others spend $20 at a local muni. Some ppl spend crazy $$ making the inside of their cabinet look like something from a sc-fi movie set and some will just make sure the doors are closed (Me).

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The topic is not about the value of things, is about how our hobbie is changing from pursuing the best colors to just achieving them by using blue lights and photoshop.

Lately nobody shows fts, or huge colonies grown over the years. The tendeois just to show one and again your WD under all blues that doesn't even color that way under daylight or white light.

Pay whatever you want for your corals. That's not the issue. Just don't get fooled by spectacular tricky fake photos.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever see a staged house vs an empty house? Of course people are going to try to take best pictures possible.

Some of the comments about blue light aren’t logical. Fluorescence is a special and rare occurrence in nature. I’m not interested in corals that don’t have this quality. I couldn’t care less about a monotone coral with bland, tan, skin.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to grow the corals under the white light for them to show you the nice colors they have. The colors won’t come out until they are acclimated and growing new growth everyday.

This isn’t true in all cases. I’ve run tanks with royal blue ONLY leds and had my corals develop color just fine.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we're getting a little bit off topic, but in your example (nice acro, btw), if a vendor sold that acro with only that first pic, that's not really false advertising, that's just taken in a bluer spectrum. Unfortunately some noob reefer/upcoming acroholic will think that's how it's supposed to look ALL the time, and get upset when it doesn't look like that in full spectrum lighting. That's why seasoned reefers look at the whole pic and notice everything else is blue, so the flesh looks blue cuz of the light.

What is that, btw?

Looks a lot like my Cherry Bomb acro.

I agree that any coral that has been photoshopped to look better/different than what they eye can see under ANY sort of light is false advertising and unethical, but using blue light to show the fluorescence is completely justified.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a lot like my Cherry Bomb acro.

I agree that any coral that has been photoshopped to look better/different than what they eye can see under ANY sort of light is false advertising and unethical, but using blue light to show the fluorescence is completely justified.

You think everything looks like your cherry bomb hahaha!!!!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t true in all cases. I’ve run tanks with royal blue ONLY leds and had my corals develop color just fine.

I didn’t mean all colors won’t come out without some white light, I meant the corals that have the potential to be bolder or brighter or have other shades of colors in the tips and coralites need some white light to show this. I believe just using blue leds are going to dull blues and reds the most.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t mean all colors won’t come out without some white light, I meant the corals that have the potential to be bolder or brighter or have other shades of colors in the tips and coralites need some white light to show this. I believe just using blue leds are going to dull blues and reds the most.
I've found certain pieces will completely green out if under all blue LEDs all day and it takes months to regain their proper colors and shred that green

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping sps for a very long time, you can call me an enabler, because I buy these high end acros. Under great water conditions, Acros will color up. whether its under 4500nm or 10k, it will look the same in any tank with the right water conditions. Itll depend on nutirent load, and does not depend on light spectrum. I buy acros, by what they look like under 20k and 4500nm, Im usually not home any way, when the spectrum during the day is around 10-14k, I enjoy it when the spectrum is under the bluer spectrum 20k to all blue. I dont like over saturated acros, but if you have a great photographer taking the pics, white balance is all you need and maybe a light orange or yellow filter, so interpret what the eye can see under the bluer spectrum. Here is a vid, I did under Orphek Atlantik V4 modes 10k full spectrum to Clear blue (4500nm) although under 10k looks ok, but under blue is where the zooxanthellae flex their muscles. I dont think anyone here, goes to the LFS or Frag Swap carry a 5k flashlight or buy a piece in a frag tank, under 10k, youll ask to see it under blues, because thats when youll see the full potential of an Acro.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping sps for a very long time, you can call me an enabler, because I buy these high end acros. Under great water conditions, Acros will color up. whether its under 4500nm or 10k, it will look the same in any tank with the right water conditions. Itll depend on nutirent load, and does not depend on light spectrum. I buy acros, by what they look like under 20k and 4500nm, Im usually not home any way, when the spectrum during the day is around 10-14k, I enjoy it when the spectrum is under the bluer spectrum 20k to all blue. I dont like over saturated acros, but if you have a great photographer taking the pics, white balance is all you need and maybe a light orange or yellow filter, so interpret what the eye can see under the bluer spectrum. Here is a vid, I did under Orphek Atlantik V4 modes 10k full spectrum to Clear blue (4500nm) although under 10k looks ok, but under blue is where the zooxanthellae flex their muscles. I dont think anyone here, goes to the LFS or Frag Swap carry a 5k flashlight or buy a piece in a frag tank, under 10k, youll ask to see it under blues, because thats when youll see the full potential of an Acro.

Stop enabling!

Bubbythebull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's has been so many studies on the Importance of blue lighting for coral development. Most ppl I know run mostly all blues in their mixed reef. 90% of corals get their Amazing look from blues so I don't see how it is misleading to take photos of corals in their best according light. I usually take sps in more of a white blend because blues would wash everything out. As for prices being outrageous....it's just the heavily sought after pieces that are outrageous. But the again, supply and demand is what determines pricing for any market. Some pieces have held high prices for a while. They have been tested thru time. Others, start crazy high due to speculation, but then when the demand isn't there, the prices drop dramatically. Most corals are still the same price...so if you plan to be a big high end collector...then expect to open your wallet.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back