What’s up with SPS

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping sps for a very long time, you can call me an enabler, because I buy these high end acros. Under great water conditions, Acros will color up. whether its under 4500nm or 10k, it will look the same in any tank with the right water conditions. Itll depend on nutirent load, and does not depend on light spectrum. I buy acros, by what they look like under 20k and 4500nm, Im usually not home any way, when the spectrum during the day is around 10-14k, I enjoy it when the spectrum is under the bluer spectrum 20k to all blue. I dont like over saturated acros, but if you have a great photographer taking the pics, white balance is all you need and maybe a light orange or yellow filter, so interpret what the eye can see under the bluer spectrum. Here is a vid, I did under Orphek Atlantik V4 modes 10k full spectrum to Clear blue (4500nm) although under 10k looks ok, but under blue is where the zooxanthellae flex their muscles. I dont think anyone here, goes to the LFS or Frag Swap carry a 5k flashlight or buy a piece in a frag tank, under 10k, youll ask to see it under blues, because thats when youll see the full potential of an Acro.

I only use white leds to get my par up for a few hours.

That Angry Bird really comes to life. The daylight pictures look like my Cherry Bomb Acro. :) The blues make it completely different in a good way.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see crazy (what I consider crazy) expensive frags all the time. I just choose not to buy them. Each to his own. Folks have a right to charge whatever they want and, conversely, folks have a right to purchase or not.

Rukk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also prefer a slightly less blue tank, and as I am returning from my reef sabbatical prices have become astronomical. I miss the days where torches, frog spawns and hammers where $5 bucks a head. I’m all for someone turning a profit but you can’t tell me the cost to produce a gold tipped torch is several hundred dollars. Anyway not to rant I just wanted to share austinaquafarms.com they seem to be bucking the system.

Check this site out, they seem to use less blue light and I think his prices are reasonable.

I will second a thumbs up for Austin Aqua Farms. Drove up to Austin today from San Antonio and picked up a very nice goni and I would say, relatively speaking, for a decent price. My experience with Matt and his father has been pleasant. They have a nice setup and always have nice pieces. Downside is that their SPS offerings are a work in progress.

They do run some blues when they are open to the public, but in my experience, they will put it under white light if you would like to see it that way. In short, little difference between the pieces in their tanks and then in mine.

I am in the boat with folks who like to deal with Vendors that are practicing reasonable marketing efforts, versus exaggerated efforts. But, a lot of people must like the exaggerated (and possibly misleading) Vendors. Just my opinion, to each his or her own.

Last edited:

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I will second a thumbs up for Austin Aqua Farms. Drove up to Austin today from San Antonio and picked up a very nice goni and I would say, relatively speaking, for a decent price. My experience with Matt and his father has been pleasant. They have a nice setup and always have nice pieces. Downside is that their SPS offerings are a work in progress.

They do run some blues when they are open to the public, but in my experience, they will put it under white light if you would like to see it that way. In short, little difference between the pieces in their tanks and then in mine.

I am in the boat with folks who like to deal with Vendors that are practicing reasonable marketing efforts, versus exaggerated efforts. But, a lot of people must like the exaggerated (and possibly misleading) Vendors. Just my opinion, to each his or her own.

I look at coral al the time. Even after I got out of the hobby (because of a move) and now that I’m starting to setup my new system I’ve been full bore shopping and laying out a game plan. Just from my take on it they seem to be the most up front about everything and seem good pricing or at least fair pricing . I also like that they have larger colonies.

It’s funny but I didn’t even realize they where in Texas until I read your post. I just thought the guys name was Austin. For me that is even a greater plus as the transit times should be shorter. I’m glad to hear that they are nice people as well.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for local sellers, buy from trusted people here, and hit the swaps and meetings. I was lucky enough to find two locals that have everything from the old school standards to the latest and greatest named pieces, and at great prices.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under great water conditions, Acros will color up. whether its under 4500nm or 10k, it will look the same in any tank with the right water conditions. Itll depend on nutirent load, and does not depend on light spectrum. I buy acros, by what they look like under 20k and 4500nm, Im usually not home any way, when the spectrum during the day is around 10-14k, I enjoy it when the spectrum is under the bluer spectrum 20k to all blue.

Nutrients play a small role in coral color. High nutrients develop solid deep color and low develops brighter and lighter colors, as well as brings out more pigments in tips and coralites. Spectrum plays a role in coral colors as well but this is the first time I have heard someone claim it doesn’t. You use white light in your tank so how do you know all blue led light would color your corals the exact same way?
I have seen many friends go back to bulbs instead of leds because they couldn’t get certain colors and certain corals to color up to full potential. I would say if they were running all blue led bulbs then they would have switched way sooner.
I do agree that water conditions help develop certain colors but not that growing corals will look the same under any light.
Let’s say you grow an acro under all blue led bulbs and grow the same one under 10k halides with a bunch of blue led bulbs. Then you take both pieces and look at them under the same light and I bet they will not look the same at all. I think the spectrum part plays a larger role in certain colors like reds and blues for example. Sure acros will grow under all blue LEDs and with great water, some might look really good but 10% of the acros won’t do much without more spectrum.

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell you sorry. I think it affects positively to growth rates, but haven't got any papers..
But I was talking about color generation. It is very difficult to keep yellows without it.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell you sorry. I think it affects positively to growth rates, but haven't got any papers..
But I was talking about color generation. It is very difficult to keep yellows without it.
Yup. My experience too.

I mentioned it before in the thread, I’ve had pieces go green because their wasn’t enough full spectrum.

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally had some time to read all of the thread again. (6 days a week 12+hrs a day its killing me).

It’s funny how all forums turn into some kind of argument about who is right and who is wrong and it’s like this everywhere from car forums to food forums. Got to love social media!

My last reef and the one I’m currently setting up won’t look like an acid trip or windex for most of the day. So I would love it if the Coral vendor would just do one simple thing. (really it is a simple solution to this problem.) try to represent the coral as it is under different spectrums of light. So a blue picture and a white picture. EASY!!! I think that only makes sense from a marketing perspective. I won’t get into all of the data about expanding your product line to reach the largest customer base as possible. There normally are cost analysis that goes with that kind of expansion but for coral vendors it’s simply an additional digital photo. :rolleyes:

For all of the heavy blue Reefers out there. Blue lights agreeably do make the coral glow and I’m happy for you if that is what you love in your tank. Awesome! But just because that is what you like it doesn’t mean that everyone else feels the same. These reef tanks really are Art. Not everyone loves Picasso.

The problem for those of us who like our tanks more to the full spectrum side of things is its hard to know what the coral will look like in our tanks. It easy to know what they will look like when the lights ramp down but it’s hard to know what they will look like for the rest of the day. We just want a good representation of coral Under a fuller spectrum of light.

Everyone is going to try to dog pile on me with “well just don’t buy it then” type of comments.
Here is the problem with that logic because I don’t think any of us are buying any of that coral. That is why we are here because we can’t find a supplier in our opinion whose coral pictures are representative of the products we want to buy.

So with all of the “Just don’t buy it then” people I guess they are telling us...”Hey, there are Fish Only systems.”

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem of blue lights or spectrum. It's about we get fooled everyday in social media...
It's about reality vs idealism

Some don't buy corals, they buy a photo to prentend and show off on Internet.
And that is not what our hobbie is about....

This-girl-shows-in-a-hilarious-way-the-reality-is-different-from-what-we-see-on-Instagram-5cd1302650b1c__880.jpg

photo credit: #the_truth_is_not_pretty

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients play a small role in coral color. High nutrients develop solid deep color and low develops brighter and lighter colors, as well as brings out more pigments in tips and coralites. Spectrum plays a role in coral colors as well but this is the first time I have heard someone claim it doesn’t. You use white light in your tank so how do you know all blue led light would color your corals the exact same way?
I have seen many friends go back to bulbs instead of leds because they couldn’t get certain colors and certain corals to color up to full potential. I would say if they were running all blue led bulbs then they would have switched way sooner.
I do agree that water conditions help develop certain colors but not that growing corals will look the same under any light.
Let’s say you grow an acro under all blue led bulbs and grow the same one under 10k halides with a bunch of blue led bulbs. Then you take both pieces and look at them under the same light and I bet they will not look the same at all. I think the spectrum part plays a larger role in certain colors like reds and blues for example. Sure acros will grow under all blue LEDs and with great water, some might look really good but 10% of the acros won’t do much without more spectrum.
I see your point, but if you read it again I said 4500nm to 10k. 10k provides a wide range of spectrum. I should have placed SOLELY on light spectrum. Each sps has their on genetic make up and the chromoproteins in the zooxanthellae provide the colorations, and the amount of nutrients is crucial for coral growth and color. It that wasnt the case all sps will be the same color. I do agree with anything below 10k and low nutirents colors will be terrible. I do believe water conditions, nutrient load and flow plays a bigger roll in coral growth and color then light. This has been my experience, I have used a wide range of lights from MH, VHO, t5's, to Leds, if the water is right the color and growth are the same.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone has likely already said.. The worth of something is based upon what someone will pay. That said, I think some companies are completely predatory on people that don't know better as there pictures look NOTHING like what a coral really looks like.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or has the prices of corals gotten a little ridiculous? People take pictures under the brightest blue lights so that it will fluoresce and name it divorce papers and sell a 1/2” frag that you can’t see for $300. Do people buy it because they think $300 makes it special, or is it because the picture shows how great it can look for a 2 hour cycle in your tank? I honestly don’t bother shopping for corals here because of this.
I’ve been looking for divorce papers for a long time. I’m willing to part with the $300, that sounds like a bargain to me.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally had some time to read all of the thread again. (6 days a week 12+hrs a day its killing me).

It’s funny how all forums turn into some kind of argument about who is right and who is wrong and it’s like this everywhere from car forums to food forums. Got to love social media!

My last reef and the one I’m currently setting up won’t look like an acid trip or windex for most of the day. So I would love it if the Coral vendor would just do one simple thing. (really it is a simple solution to this problem.) try to represent the coral as it is under different spectrums of light. So a blue picture and a white picture. EASY!!! I think that only makes sense from a marketing perspective. I won’t get into all of the data about expanding your product line to reach the largest customer base as possible. There normally are cost analysis that goes with that kind of expansion but for coral vendors it’s simply an additional digital photo. :rolleyes:

For all of the heavy blue Reefers out there. Blue lights agreeably do make the coral glow and I’m happy for you if that is what you love in your tank. Awesome! But just because that is what you like it doesn’t mean that everyone else feels the same. These reef tanks really are Art. Not everyone loves Picasso.

The problem for those of us who like our tanks more to the full spectrum side of things is its hard to know what the coral will look like in our tanks. It easy to know what they will look like when the lights ramp down but it’s hard to know what they will look like for the rest of the day. We just want a good representation of coral Under a fuller spectrum of light.

Everyone is going to try to dog pile on me with “well just don’t buy it then” type of comments.
Here is the problem with that logic because I don’t think any of us are buying any of that coral. That is why we are here because we can’t find a supplier in our opinion whose coral pictures are representative of the products we want to buy.

So with all of the “Just don’t buy it then” people I guess they are telling us...”Hey, there are Fish Only systems.”
There are alot of vendors who have been doing daylight and actinic shots. Fraghouse corals, coral euphoria; then there are some who post daylight only shots like battlecorals

Back