What’s wrong with my clown?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She ate 2 hours ago and was Acting normal. Then I get up and noticed she’s laying down behind a rock at the back of the tank. So I went to try and catch her and put her in another container so I could look her over a little better. But of course then she swam away and now you can see her in the video. The darkness owners just shadows I shined a light in there and she’s normal color. Her breathing is rapid. That’s all I can tell you

My flame fin tang and my yellow wrasse are fine
@Jay Hemdal

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just speculating here as I don't see anything in the video indicating an issue. I assume she doesn't have an anemone to call home? If not, and it hasn't taken up residence in substitute coral, that spot could be its new happy place and that's where it's resting as if it were a nem. My littlest of three sometimes gets kicked out of one of the two BTA's I have and it goes off and rests in a calm corner of the tank behind a rock as well. Just spitballing here...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With breathing that fast, I’m afraid of respiratory collapse. Usually, when that is seen, all fish are more or less affected and the fish wouldn’t have fed just two hours ago. Common causes for this are acute water quality issues and Amyloodinium/velvet. In this case, those seem to be ruled out. If you can turn white lights on, and get just the right angle, you may get a glimpse of the gills. If they are pink or white, the fish is anemic.
Jay

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just speculating here as I don't see anything in the video indicating an issue. I assume she doesn't have an anemone to call home? If not, and it hasn't taken up residence in substitute coral, that spot could be its new happy place and that's where it's resting as if it were a nem. My littlest of three sometimes gets kicked out of one of the two BTA's I have and it goes off and rests in a calm corner of the tank behind a rock as well. Just spitballing here...
No she has a nem which she loves

Kurtoski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it your first clown? They are very weird little fishes. This looks like typical clown behaviour to me.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ll turn the whites on and see what I can see

16B0251A-1D20-460A-98BB-29DF35E45303.jpeg
65E99E6F-E669-4E51-80E1-275D167FDD16.jpeg
EA2A3A22-8535-48F0-816C-57C56B335AFF.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it your first clown? They are very weird little fishes. This looks like typical clown behaviour to me.
I’ve had her for almost a year and this is not her normal
With breathing that fast, I’m afraid of respiratory collapse. Usually, when that is seen, all fish are more or less affected and the fish wouldn’t have fed just two hours ago. Common causes for this are acute water quality issues and Amyloodinium/velvet. In this case, those seem to be ruled out. If you can turn white lights on, and get just the right angle, you may get a glimpse of the gills. If they are pink or white, the fish is anemic.
Jay
i added an Air stone to the tank not sure if it will help. I have had her for as long as the tank had been set up.
Ammonia test at 0 what other things should I be looking for

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Is there anything I can do?

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so her breathing has slowed down a bit since I added the air stone. I wonder if it was due to lack of gas exchange. I’ll leave the air stone running in my sump and just monitor her. It seems like that’s the only thing I can do.

I haven’t added any new fish since November and all those fish went through full QT process

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stopping by to give well wishes he is ok. You got the good guys helping. maybe just a little stress and you happened to catch it.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stopping by to give well wishes he is ok. You got the good guys helping. maybe just a little stress and you happened to catch it.
Maybe. I’m normally not home at the time of day she did her little freak out thing. Her being stressed out cause me to be stressed out. So much fun.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so her breathing has slowed down a bit since I added the air stone. I wonder if it was due to lack of gas exchange. I’ll leave the air stone running in my sump and just monitor her. It seems like that’s the only thing I can do.

I haven’t added any new fish since November and all those fish went through full QT process
Yes, the breathing looks slower to me also. Trouble is - the tang and the wrasse weren't affected, and they would have likely been just as affected by low dissolved oxygen as the clownfish would be, so I'm still worried that there is something going on that is specific to the clownfish, just can't tell you what it is.

Jay

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back