What’s wrong with my clown!

maddy999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my black nimo has cloudy spots on him, see video.

I first noticed this three days ago only on his right side, to a much less degree. Now it has spread to both sides, its almost like white smudges! behavior seems normal, he still eats great, swims around with other clown.

tank info: 20 gallon 1 wrasse 2 clowns
nothing is wrong with my water parameters, so idk! 54441129-4642-4B06-8B8B-1C48D6B08BAB.png 0C630E7B-BB15-4415-8DF2-B9ADFBEEBF40.png B097A153-3019-4733-B34F-31D9C79C247D.png 66E202ED-5A99-40DC-8687-82870FF129FB.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    13.6 MB

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this get moved to the disease forum #MODS

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my black nimo has cloudy spots on him, see video.

I first noticed this three days ago only on his right side, to a much less degree. Now it has spread to both sides, its almost like white smudges! behavior seems normal, he still eats great, swims around with other clown.

tank info: 20 gallon 1 wrasse 2 clowns
nothing is wrong with my water parameters, so idk! 54441129-4642-4B06-8B8B-1C48D6B08BAB.png 0C630E7B-BB15-4415-8DF2-B9ADFBEEBF40.png B097A153-3019-4733-B34F-31D9C79C247D.png 66E202ED-5A99-40DC-8687-82870FF129FB.jpeg
Hi, I was helping you in that other thread, trying to figure out what's going on with your fish. It definitely has a protozoan infection.

Based on what I'm seeing here, it may be Brooklynella, and so the hyposalinity I suggested for ich would not be appropriate. Brooklynella is really difficult to treat if you don't have access to formalin. One possibility would be if you can get some Ruby Reef Rally Pro, It has formalin and acriflavine in it and has worked for some folks.

Jay

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was helping you in that other thread, trying to figure out what's going on with your fish. It definitely has a protozoan infection.

Based on what I'm seeing here, it may be Brooklynella, and so the hyposalinity I suggested for ich would not be appropriate. Brooklynella is really difficult to treat if you don't have access to formalin. One possibility would be if you can get some Ruby Reef Rally Pro, It has formalin and acriflavine in it and has worked for some folks.

Jay
Thank you @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
M

maddy999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Gotcha. Will see what my local stores have tomorrow,

I just can’t catch a break huh‍♂️

Do i need to be worried about it passing to my other fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was able to blow up pic. . . as Stated by Jay H, its brook all the way. If you have seen it yet, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable symptom of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections.
Typical treatment is a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease. ( Good formalin source would be Quick Cure, otherwise ruby Rally pro)
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW bath or dip. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank.

OP
OP
M

maddy999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to blow up pic. . . as Stated by Jay H, its brook all the way. If you have seen it yet, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable symptom of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections.
Typical treatment is a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease. ( Good formalin source would be Quick Cure, otherwise ruby Rally pro)
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW bath or dip. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
about to do a FW dip (first time) any tips?

i have a bucket filled with RODI water, temperature matched,

OP
OP
M

maddy999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m about to do a freshwater dip, I don’t have an air bubbler though. is it crucial to have one? any substitute for it?

OP
OP
M

maddy999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m about to do a freshwater dip, I don’t have an air bubbler though. is it crucial to have one? any substitute for it?

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For freshwater dip, you don't need an airstone. The fish will only be in it for 5 min.
As you noted, water is same temp as DT.
Put fish in the freshwater for no more than 5 min and monitor. If develops rapid breathing, you may need to pull it sooner than 5 min.
After 5 min is up, put fish into DT and observe.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Crucial - no but helps a little

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
about to do a FW dip (first time) any tips?

i have a bucket filled with RODI water, temperature matched,
Good to go. You can add a pich of baking soda to water for PH but not necessary

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back