What’s wrong with my duncan?

Leviathon26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DISCLAIMER:
First photo is from the first couple months I had it, second photo is currently.

I have a relatively new tank, relatively 6-7 months old. I purchased a duncan about 4 months ago and it was super happy for a while. About a month ago it closed up and hasn’t opened back up at all. Everything else in my tank is thriving and happy, levels all check out where they should be, but it still won’t open. I haven’t seen any of my fish/shrimp bothering it. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_5249.jpeg IMG_5496.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently change the lights? Also what exactly is "where they should be"? What are the exact parameters?

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second picture is way to blue to get much detail. If you could take a picture under whiter light like the first picture it would help a lot.

I am curious what the coral to the left of the Duncan is. Looks like maybe gsp but if it's galaxia or a goni it's very close and could be stinging the Duncan.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
DISCLAIMER:
First photo is from the first couple months I had it, second photo is currently.

I have a relatively new tank, relatively 6-7 months old. I purchased a duncan about 4 months ago and it was super happy for a while. About a month ago it closed up and hasn’t opened back up at all. Everything else in my tank is thriving and happy, levels all check out where they should be, but it still won’t open. I haven’t seen any of my fish/shrimp bothering it. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_5249.jpeg IMG_5496.jpeg
These guys dont do well in water high in nitrates and especially phosphates and best at mid tank with moderate light and water flow. Feed them Mysis shrimp 2x a week opposed t powdered foods.
Mine started as two heads and Now:

600g progress l.jpg

OP
OP
Leviathon26

Leviathon26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently change the lights? Also what exactly is "where they should be"? What are the exact parameters?
Lights haven’t been changed anytime recently.
Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 7.9
Nitrate: Between 10 and 5
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
I recently had my water tested and the phosphate and calcium came back within range, as well, but i don’t remember the specific values that came back.

OP
OP
Leviathon26

Leviathon26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys dont do well in water high in nitrates and especially phosphates and best at mid tank with moderate light and water flow. Feed them Mysis shrimp 2x a week opposed t powdered foods.

600g progress l.jpg
It’s sitting mid height in tank, medium light and medium flow.

OP
OP
Leviathon26

Leviathon26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second picture is way to blue to get much detail. If you could take a picture under whiter light like the first picture it would help a lot.

I am curious what the coral to the left of the Duncan is. Looks like maybe gsp but if it's galaxia or a goni it's very close and could be stinging the Duncan.
It’s GSP to the left, but i’ve since moved it away from the duncan thinking it may need a little more space. The coral in front is a toad stool.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights haven’t been changed anytime recently.
Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 7.9
Nitrate: Between 10 and 5
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
I recently had my water tested and the phosphate and calcium came back within range, as well, but i don’t remember the specific values that came back.
Do you test alkalinity?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

600g progress l.jpg
This is correct, although everyone says they are super easy....in a newer tank...not so much.... I tried twice with them at the 6 and 9 month mark.

Looks great for a week or 2, then done.

I bought one a few months ago at the almost 2 year mark...a 2 head Duncan...it now has 4 heads and is loving life with great colors now.

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen rock that white in a 6 month old tank.

After 4 months my Duncan went from 1 head to about 16 and it was the first LPS I added when my tank was 2 months old.

Can you post a full tank shot? Something might be off with your setup for things to be this sterile at 6 months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back