What’s Wrong with my Fiji Puffer?

ryanmcloughry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Fiji Puffer today and put him in to my tank while I went to work. He sat in a breeding box with a net that I use to reduce aggression and let the fish check out the new fish before adding (all day). I came home, let him out and he swam into a cave but I noticed some sort of sore with discoloration on his side. He’s acting fine other than trying to get comfortable in his new tank what could it be?
Water Parameters
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40 image.jpg
3FFDEF0D-2BB3-41CF-8287-B7BDDEECA2FC.jpeg
image.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1834.MOV
    76.8 MB
  • IMG_1834.MOV
    76.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I had just responded to your other thread. Since this one has more pictures and video, I'm moving my reply here and then closing out that other thread:

That large oblong mark below its side fin? Too dark to really see it well, but knowing if the fish had it before you put it in the acclimation tank or if it developed there is important: if it had it before, or if the spot is growing larger, it is more likely a bacterial infection. If it just showed up in the acclimation box, it is likely due to a rub injury.

If it is bacterial, it may bet better on its own, but to treat it, you would need to move the puffer to a treatment tank and dose with an antibiotic such as kanaplex or neoplex.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ryanmcloughry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I had just responded to your other thread. Since this one has more pictures and video, I'm moving my reply here and then closing out that other thread:

That large oblong mark below its side fin? Too dark to really see it well, but knowing if the fish had it before you put it in the acclimation tank or if it developed there is important: if it had it before, or if the spot is growing larger, it is more likely a bacterial infection. If it just showed up in the acclimation box, it is likely due to a rub injury.

If it is bacterial, it may bet better on its own, but to treat it, you would need to move the puffer to a treatment tank and dose with an antibiotic such as kanaplex or neoplex.

Jay
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that's the lesion that I saw in the first pictures. I think you need to consider that it's a gram negative bacterial infection, and the best treatment for that would be an antibiotic in a treatment tank....especially if it grew over time and didn't just show up all at once (which would possibly indicate an injury/bruise).

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ryanmcloughry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that's the lesion that I saw in the first pictures. I think you need to consider that it's a gram negative bacterial infection, and the best treatment for that would be an antibiotic in a treatment tank....especially if it grew over time and didn't just show up all at once (which would possibly indicate an injury/bruise).

Jay
Thanks jay I don’t have a treatment tank(no space) but I put him in a 5 gallon bucket with a bubbler and heater with bacterial infection medicine. Will keep him in there for 3-5 days until I see improvement.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jay I don’t have a treatment tank(no space) but I put him in a 5 gallon bucket with a bubbler and heater with bacterial infection medicine. Will keep him in there for 3-5 days until I see improvement.
Managing the ammonia in the bucket is going to be a huge challenge! You need to test every day, and if the ammonia goes above 0.50 ppm, you either will need to do water changes to reduce that, with subsequent re-dosing of the antibiotic, or add ammonia removing chemicals like Amquel.,

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ryanmcloughry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managing the ammonia in the bucket is going to be a huge challenge! You need to test every day, and if the ammonia goes above 0.50 ppm, you either will need to do water changes to reduce that, with subsequent re-dosing of the antibiotic, or add ammonia removing chemicals like Amquel.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back