What’s wrong with my Xenia

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Just bought a small pulsing Xenia from local LFS it was fine all day yesterday in the tank nice and open etc. But today when I woke up it was all closed up I’ve turned the light on most of the day it’s opened up slightly but not as much as yesterday. What’s going on?

5D837454-CACF-4971-B577-01A1FD22EFB4.jpeg

305BD6CC-B91B-4F2B-8E8C-A80B346600B1.jpeg

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia grows like crazy for me in areas of the tank with higher lighting and moderate flow. Xenia also prefers water with some nutrients. This is a coral that’s good at lowering nitrates. I love the pulsing action of Xenia but I’d highly recommend you place it on a rock that you can isolate it as this stuff grows like crazy and can quickly cover your tank. This like other soft corals seems to like iodide.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a coral that’s good at lowering nitrates. I love the pulsing action of Xenia but I’d highly recommend you place it on a rock that you can isolate it as this stuff grows like crazy and can quickly cover your tank.

Some people even use it in a fuge to lower nitrates, instead of or in addition to chaeto.
Also, some xenia species pulse but others don't. I have both in one tank. Didn't buy either, they just showed up.
Unlike some other invasive corals species, xenia is pretty easy to control.
To thin them out, grab each stalk firmly at the base with a forceps and tear sideways;
They'll generally tear off the rock cleanly with this technique.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back