What’s wrong with Sunkist bounce

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I came home to a unhappy sunkist. It’s the mom that split about 8 months ago baby is behind her. Been doing great up to this point In time. @fishguy242
3918F707-37B1-4638-9ED1-E678E1CD4049.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes it is. Wrasse cover corals one gravel. Shroom hasn’t cared in the past but I do blow it off

Thank you Fishguy242
Perhaps move them to a frag rack where he can't do that and see if that changes the shrooms attitude?

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. Following along. If the specks were the orange balloons turned white, I’d have been concerned. Mine does what yours does if it bothered (crabs or snails cleaning the base or nearby and running against it for more than a few minutes) or when it is adjusting itself.

Is it possible it is trying to move away from the daughter?

I’ve also recently made an inadvertent adjustment to lighting (that I quickly reverted) that annoyed it causing it to contact a little. After a while it expanded and got all bouncy

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps move them to a frag rack where he can't do that and see if that changes the shrooms attitude?
After reading your message that was my first thought.
Just curious. Following along. If the specks were the orange balloons turned white, I’d have been concerned. Mine does what yours does if it bothered (crabs or snails cleaning the base or nearby and running against it for more than a few minutes) or when it is adjusting itself.

Is it possible it is trying to move away from the daughter?

I’ve also recently made an inadvertent adjustment to lighting (that I quickly reverted) that annoyed it causing it to contact a little. After a while it expanded and got all bouncy
Good to hear. It’s always happy so seeing this I wasn’t sure. Figured best to see if I’m dealing with a problem.
I will move it as auto feeder dumps food there and maybe fish are irritating while trying to scramble for pallets

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I didn't know those white spots where gravel. I was thinking bacterial infection when I seen the spots.
Good call on moving it away from the baby to see if she chills out. Sudden changes in parameters or lighting could also cause it as said.

68 Stang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bounce look kinda like this and get worse. The center began to like melt away. Long story short my refractometer was way off. I slowly brought salinity back in check. I now have 7 two inch bounce shroms.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
;Facepalmhow did i miss @LRT and his connects..:rolleyes:sorry..;)

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Facepalmhow did i miss @LRT and his connects..:rolleyes:sorry..;)
I sent a pm as Steve suggested lol.
Yeah I didn't know those white spots where gravel. I was thinking bacterial infection when I seen the spots.
Good call on moving it away from the baby to see if she chills out. Sudden changes in parameters or lighting could also cause it as said.
Sorry I should have noted that.

Thanks everyone for the help. I will move it and double check parameters.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really could be anything. Honestly I just had my Uranium bounce start acting wierd about a week ago. Kind of deflated, tightened up not looking good. I figured too much light so I moved her a little..
I come home today and she's splitting in half. Just never know sometimes.
How does the foot look after lights out?
Its usually a dead give away for splitting. Sometimes the foot will walk and stretch out and shroom literally splits within hours.
20210422_145101.jpg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I came home to a unhappy sunkist. It’s the mom that split about 8 months ago baby is behind her. Been doing great up to this point In time. @fishguy242
3918F707-37B1-4638-9ED1-E678E1CD4049.jpeg
Yeah check the foot tonight. Looks like the shroom is going to split looking at the mouth it is a little stretched and gaping.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah check the foot tonight. Looks like the shroom is going to split looking at the mouth it is a little stretched and gaping.
The mouth is what worried me. Never saw it like that. Yesterday I thought something irritated it or possible spit then today it looked the same and thought it’s best to get eyes on it before I loose it from stupidity

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth is what worried me. Never saw it like that. Yesterday I thought something irritated it or possible spit then today it looked the same and thought it’s best to get eyes on it before I loose it from stupidity
Definetley move it for space.
But Id bet its foot is oblong shape under its cap and its getting ready to split again.
I do see the mouth why you would be worried.
My Uranium kind of did the same thing. Even spit some guts when I moved it. Didnt even think about looking at its foot but I can clearly see it looked almost like a figure 8 when I got home today. Cpl hours later it was almost completely in half.
If you look at pic I posted looks like the mouth on mine is totally gone.
My afterburner will split like that sometimes as well.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definetley move it for space.
But Id bet its foot is oblong shape under its cap and its getting ready to split again.
I do see the mouth why you would be worried.
My Uranium kind of did the same thing. Even spit some guts when I moved it. Didnt even think about looking at its foot but I can clearly see it looked almost like a figure 8 when I got home today. Cpl hours later it was almost completely in half.
If you look at pic I posted looks like the mouth on mine is totally gone.
My afterburner will split like that sometimes as well.
Thinking back mine is the same shape as first split. That would be good if it turns out to be the cause. Doesn’t get any easier no matter how long we been in the hobby lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back