What’s your average monthly tank expense(s)?

What’s your average monthly reef/tank expense?

• Less than $25

Votes: 53 12.1%
  • $26 - $50

Votes: 88 20.0%
  • $51 - $100

Votes: 122 27.8%
  • $101 - $150

Votes: 67 15.3%
  • $151 - $250

Votes: 48 10.9%
  • $251 - $500

Votes: 33 7.5%
  • $501+

Votes: 28 6.4%

• Total voters

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my first ever tank last February, so I had a lot of up front hardware costs and then spent a lot over the past 8 months on livestock. My monthly average will decrease as I fill the tank, and I have stocked up on all the spare parts I intend to keep on hand (extra return pump, powerheads, etc.)

Since I charge everything on the same credit card, I was able to put together a quick report:

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 4.58.20 PM.png

See, it all pens out to just less than ~$20,....K, ok!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are In the 500$-1k$ range with 93gal cube, 300gal reef and 300gal FO. Electricity is around 200$, salt around 120 as we’ve been doing extra water changes, water 0- well water, balance for ph- 100$, food 100$ for frozen food. Not to mention any other maintenance supplies, medications and an occasional coral or fish. Looking to cut back after new upgraded 300 settles in. My LFS loves us. We order food on line.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking that Solar panels may be in order.

That’s my current cost saving technique also. I had a 6.6 Kw solar system installed yesterday, are now waiting for my energy provider to swap out my meter so I can bring it online. When batteries become more affordable (expect around 18 months down here in Aussie) I’ll be adding one of them too.

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those hobbies that gives me 10 fold back in enjoyment and satisfaction than what I continuously spend on it (at least that's what I keep telling myself lol) , so honestly I don't even keep track anymore.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re my wife, probably $100.

In reality with food and salt and my electric bill and replacement stuff, vibrant, etc— $200-500.

This doesn’t include the fish— I don’t even want to think about what I have paid to stock my 500 gallon wall tank. If my wife asks it was about $500.
If anyone asks, my 35 clowns were $200 ;)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a 30 gallon/20 gallon sumped seahorse tank and a 56 gallon mixed reef.

The seahorse tank cost $85 month + electricity and water
The mixed reef costs $22 month + electricity and water

So I am guessing that I am close to the $151 + month and that is not counting buying equipment, coral and fish, but I do that in spurts because my equipment has been mostly already purchased and my livestock tends to live a long time. I asked for both of those for Christmas or birthdays.

My big expense is WCs on the seahorse tank which is 25+ gallons a week. I use IO to keep costs down and get it from Chewy auto deliver to save even more.

Last edited:

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I like this thread anymore! I keep telling my wife that I'm not out of control, and that everyone is spending this much on their tanks!
I voted in the $500+ category (and I know it's waaay more than that sometimes) , and that's only 6% of the reefing population?!?!
You guys are just telling me that I'm crazier (or stupider) than the other 94%? Come on people!!! lets see some honesty in these polls!
I'm going back to the SPS, and for sale threads, to see what else I must have for my reef, and going to forget that this thread exists!:);):(

OP
OP
D

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I like this thread anymore! I keep telling my wife that I'm not out of control, and that everyone is spending this much on their tanks!
I voted in the $500+ category (and I know it's waaay more than that sometimes) , and that's only 6% of the reefing population?!?!
You guys are just telling me that I'm crazier (or stupider) than the other 94%? Come on people!!! lets see some honesty in these polls!
I'm going back to the SPS, and for sale threads, to see what else I must have for my reef, and going to forget that this thread exists!:);):(
Haha or maybe the 94% is stupid for spending “too little”

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! That's it! Everyone needs to ramp up the spending in 2019! We have an economy to support here, and reef tanks are high on the needs list!
Sounds good to me! I was going to say I want to follow the build threads that spend 1k a month

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a build thread, but maybe I should do one. For some reason I'm terrible at taking pictures of my tanks. For some reason they always look bad, and then I feel somewhat embarrassed to share them. Something I guess I need to find a way to get over.

OP
OP
D

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to know,it would take the fun out of it.
Why? Wouldn’t it be fun to track, so you can outcompete yourself monthly?
“Spent $500 in April, I have to spend atleast $600 in May!”
o_O;Woot

Richard Severns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently about $40-$50 due to heater. under $30 in summer. small 50 gallon tank.
Ignorance is Bliss....I don't want to know. If I knew...I would fret about it and not enjoy the hobby!
I am so in agreement with this ,as long as things are doing well and I'm enjoying it, then all good

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't dealt with a summer yet in my new house, but the winter I'm probably around 50-60 bucks a month in electric to run the new setup. Not so bad...I don't keep track of all of the other variables like salt or test kits and media, it's like actually keeping track of how much you spend on gas or oil changes to commute to work, it's required and you can't get around it.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked my Apex power logs and each of my Reefer 450s adds about $30/month to my electricity costs, at 11 cents per kwh.

EHerbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may be incriminated. Plus, I really don't wanna know...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back